Garage advice sought

Trev Latter

Following on from the Dehumidifier thread and a plan to rebuild my garage...

I currently have a double of block construction. It's not the best and I would really like to knock it down and start again, enlarging a little, with the addition of some extra space to one side for the bikes and tool box, bench etc still leaving room for two cars inside. The question is, what to go for, Wood or Brick construction? I know that wood would be better for the cars and bikes, but a quick google search of providers in my local area revealed lots that just looked like big sheds, so what recommendations do you lot have? Good manufacturers, designs etc, or should I just stay with brick?

rs48635

no direct experience here, but my classic car mags are full of great looking timber framed garages.
As in previous post - build an "extension" to your house with insulation, heat, power and light and you'll be on the right track.

Trev Latter

Sadly, the garage is detached by about about 30ft with a few fruit trees in between, so a house extension is out of the question. I'm on a slightly strange location in that it's on an estate, but just off a Cul de Sac. Our property was originally a car park and row of garages for the houses in the close. Builder chappy bought the land and garages, built our place and knocked all of the garages down apart from two. One big advantage is that we're at the end of everybody's gardens and very secluded. I already have a workshop and a couple of other outbuildings, so I'm stuck with the current location for the garage, although I have the room to extend is sideways a bit. Appearance wise, I love the look of the green oak buildings, but they may not suit the surroundings.

conaero

Forum Owner
Trev, when was you house built, that will give us an idea of what will look best but I suspect that you being on an estate (of what era) brick would probably look right.