Torque Tube and Bell housing removed..........

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
Okay guys here we go, almost finished. I put the torque tube and gear box in the car today. This is one of those times I kind of wished I had someone around to help. Bench pressing that torque tube and pushing that gear box to the torque tube would have been much easier. So here are a couple of photos I took in the process. I decided against taking the center shaft bearing out only because I did not have any issues with it to begin with. It took me a while to deliberate but I figure if it decides to make noise it will be another project. For now I've been waiting long enough to get the girl together.

IMAG1932.jpg

IMAG1933.jpg

IMAG1929.jpg

IMAG1930.jpg

When I was bleeding the line out I realized that someone must of had some nasty hydraulic fluid in the reservoir from before. Additionally this was also one of those times I wished I had bought the pneumatic bleeder. I forgot all about it until today. It definitely would of been a lot more advantageous for this operation. I bled it out until transparent green pentosin flowed out. Then bled it a bit more.

IMAG1925.jpg

IMAG1927.jpg

and........in the car (view from the trunk).

IMAG1934.jpg

conaero

Forum Owner
So the torque tube is manageable to remove yourself, can yo tell us what your set up is, are you working on the floor with the car on axle stands, would not mind seeing a pic of that to see how high you have to get it.

Also, what is the procedure to remove and refit the torque tube, raise and lower it on 2 trolly jacks???

hodroyd

Hat's off to you Craig, you're doing a great job mate, I really hope this is the end of this particular journey for you..!!

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
Chris (Catman), and Robert, me too!

@ Conaero, yes I'm working off the ground. If I put this up on a lift, there's no question I would need a few people to do this. I do have jack stands I could lift the car on but I built cradling instead because though they are 3 ton jack stands I knew I would be pulling and pushing under the car and jack stands have a smaller foot print than I feel comfortable with (bad experience at 15 years of age and was pinned under a car and almost crossed the River Jordan early). I went down to the Home Depot, and for $8.97 bought a couple of pieces of 4x4 lumber that was I think 10' long. I cut the lumber and spiked 2 pieces together so they became 4" (high)by 8"(wide) as it sat on the ground. I then stacked the lumber 4 blocks high criss crossing them. I used the jacking areas of the car to set the lumber under. Additionally this is how I store the car off the ground for winter, no tire flat spots, and the suspension hangs as well. It's cheap to build, you have them every season, and if it's bumped (by accident), or pulled/pushed from underneath you feel safe. Moreover, you have all your jack stands for other projects as they arise over the winter.

For the torque tube with the car this distance in the air, you can climb under the car with a creeper and roll underneath it pretty easily. You won't be able to use the creeper for the gear box/torque tube because it's too much weight and you're going to be pushed around on your wheels. But for torque specs, and all the other stuff you'll be fine.

So take a decent sized jack with wheels. Push it right in line where the torque tube will go under the car. Both the front and rear of the torque tube have square flanges for where it bolts to the bell housing/gear box respectively that will sit perfectly on top of a jack. I used one jack stand, and the jack itself. I slid the torque tube under the car from the rear, pulled it all the way forward to where I needed to lift it to the bell housing. I then took the jack, placed it under the rear portion of the torque tube by that square flange. I positioned the jack so as I lifted the torque tube and pushed it forward the wheels would roll both forward and backward in a perfect line. Once that's set up, jack the rear portion of the torque tube about half way if not more to the height that it needs to be to insert the torque to the bell housing. Then go around front put the front portion on the jack stand under the car that's roughly if not slightly higher than what you have the jack set at. Go back to the rear, jack it all the way up to where it needs to be so that it will be in a straight line for when you push the torque tube into the splines of the bell housing center shaft. As long as the distance from the ground is split so it's not at a huge angle it's not going to roll off or drop off the jack. Next, go to the front, push the jack stand back towards the jack so it's there in case you get clumsy. Lift it towards the bell housing. You'll see because you have the square flange on the jack that the holes are already lined up when you stab it. Just shake it up and down, and push it together. If you have already put grease on the splines as recommended by the service manual it goes right together. The jack allows it to roll right into or away from the bell housing. It won't drop off because it's too heavy, though if that is a concern, rope it or join zip ties together and zip tie it to the top of the jack.

Put all your nuts on. I just hand tightened them to begin with until I put the gear box back in so I could wiggle/shake the back half of the torque tube by the gear box as I did the front. Now obviously, your jack is in the way to put the gear box in. Raise that jack stand you already have under there with you to lift it off the jack and sit it on. I have pinned jack stands. I raised it to the height closest to the height of the jack, then put a small piece of wood on the jack stand to get it almost perfect under the torque tube. I then lower the jack push it out of the way, the torque tube keeps the perfect height without stressing it by putting it at an angle that it's not supposed to be at. One of the photos you saw I put the gear box on my creeper to be able to roll it around. I hooked the hydraulic line up while the gear box was out of the car so I could pre-bleed the thrust bearing/ slave cylinder line while keeping an eye on the reservoir to make sure I didn't run low and suck air into the system.

I then positioned the gear box under the car on the jack, and lifted the gear box up and put the front part into the cradle, and moved the gear box forward to mate it to the torque tube. It's heavy but you can do it. When get the gear box at the perfect height, you'll have to wiggle the front part to get the torque tube started. Once you get some threads through the torque tube stud holes, if you're still struggling to get the tube flush because the gear box is a bit heavier to rock, cinch those nuts down across from each other a little at a time. You don't have to worry about it lining up by then, you could never get it that far unless the splines are already lined up. The nuts will draw it right together. I used four on the bottom four holes across from each other. To be careful I didn't over stress the nuts. I would tighten them down a bit, and shake it up and down allowing the torque of the nuts to draw it together. Sorry this seems to be a bit longer than I wanted but that's how I did it. I can get a photo of the cradling if you'd like today. I will be finished torquing everything down today. The car is done for everything I can do without a computer. Now it's time to take it to the dealer to get the PIS set, and self learn. There's also a procedure for breaking in a new clutch in the manual that has to be followed.

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
Conaero, here's a quick pic of the cradling:

IMAG1937.jpg

Another update guys, I put the exhaust in and pretty much finished up (half shafts etc.). I started the car let it warm up, and tried reverse. I know it has the old clutch settings so I didn't try shifting into a bunch of gears, the car engaged reverse without a problem, I gave it a bit of gas and the wheels started spinning no odd noises or anything. As I didn't want to push my luck before I get it over and put it on the computer for self learn and the PIS set I shut her down after putting her in neutral. I emailed Steve at the Aston Martin to get an appointment about an hour ago. Wanted to let you guys know.

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
Okay guys just brought the truck and car hauler back home from the Aston Martin dealer. Set the PIS, and put it in self learn. The car engages better than it ever did since I've owned it. So I guess we will finish this thread off, at least for me, on a good note! It's Friday and the car runs perfect. Cost $135.00 for the PIS set and self learn. The Ferrari tech Dave gave it the clean bill of health, we test drove it together. I'm all set thanks guys for following the thread and encouraging me. Now I'm taking a Taxi over to drive it back home, I refused to put it back on the car hauler.

All done at the shop:
IMAG1947.jpg

2b1ask1

Special case
F*****G brilliant Craig really pleased it is all back and running fine. That is a serious undertaking you have done and very well documented. It has given me the confidence to do it when the time comes :)

Now go enjoy it....

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
After driving it for about an hour I can positively say that it runs better now as far as gear selection and clutch engagement than it ever did owning it. Actually, I thought these cars' clutches always slipped a bunch off the line before finally engaging. I never had any issue going from one gear to the next it just seemed before that the car allowed it to slip off the line more than I had liked. But now I'm realizing with a new clutch and a great PIS set up this thing doesn't slip at all like it used to. It's about the same as I would do with a foot operated clutch, and it gets right into gear. Either way guys I've enjoyed myself today and I'm taking my wife out to eat tonight in the Mas. I'm pretty happy. By the way for future reference because I've read a few threads stating you cannot bleed the hydraulic system yourself. That's not correct. You can use a brake vacuum bleeder to bleed the bell housing out and by the quick disconnect. I'm not talking about the three screws on the back of the actuator that's different.

Long story short, you can replace your own clutch. You only need the Leo system to reset that the car has a brand new clutch, and you need it for the self learn when your done.

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
Thank you Chris I appreciate all the encouragement from the forums. Also, if I'm not mistaken I think you promised me a drink or I promised you one, either or. Let's make sure when you head back to Boston we make time for it. I need it after this! :dance4: Sorry the dancing kid was the dumbest thing I could find! Lol.

CatmanV2

We definitely promised reciprocal drinks. I think I'm back at the end of March, so we should have lots to celebrate by then!

C

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
Okay Chris March it is then.............I have been enjoying the girl all day today as well. Being really careful to seat/bed the clutch in really good. I plan to avoid any issues of glazing over another friction disc. As well there's not a vibration one coming from that bell housing. It's been a really nice smooth ride, almost forgot what it felt like to ride in it.

conaero

Forum Owner
Brilliant news Craig and well done!

You will be am inspiration to me doing my clutch myself next time.