Trottle Bodies

The throttle body on my 3200 looks remarkable similar to my old Volvo S80 throttle body.

Are they compatible?

Also can you still get new pedal pots?

allandwf

I also looked into this as they look similar, I don't think they are though, and didn't fancy using the AC as a test bed.

Dont blame you allandwf.

OK so where's the best place for new throttle bodies and especially the pedal pots? Mine already have the yellow and white wires joined.

jluis

Different inlet diameter and different software from what I read.
They are the same POS for the Volvo as well so there is no interest in putting one from a Volvo in the Maserati
In fact, the throttle body solution we have today for our cars was first born for the Volvo as they had the same problem but were produced in a much larger number

POS?

It's very unusual for Volvo to persist with a dodgy part.

Does anybody have the OEM part numbers for the throttle body and the pedal pots?

jluis

I have a Volvo V40 from 2001 and a V60 from 2013 without a single Magnetti Marelli component.
I guess they learned their lesson with those throttle bodies.

Interesting reading:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvos-electronic-throttle-module-fiasco

It's nice to see that Volvo with many times more units sold than Maser and at a considerably lower margin issued a recall to replace faulty part, yet Maserati charges an arm and a leg to sell you another POS like the original one.

Your best bet is to refurbish it to contact less.

Contigo

Sponsor
Nope look same but very different, it's been done to death. Neil get it rebuilt as contact less from Mike at Maserati shed.

davy83

pedal pots are still available from Maserati, they are Bosch parts, try Eurospares. I also make a contact-less version which i can supply if you want, PM me if you want more details. There are a few places that will upgrade and/or refurb the throttle body, I had mine done by Xmodex in Canada but i think they don't do it anymore. I think the Maserati shed do upgrades, and boomerang on here does work on them. I think David Askew does a rebuild to original spec, but he is still out of circulation as far as I know.

Of course the easiest thing to do is to just hand it over to Mike at the Maserati shed and get him to do it. I just fancied a crack at it myself.
If instructions can be got that is.

dunnah01

You can buy the contactless bits for the TB for about £50 if you have the patience to do it yourself. No reprogramming but a lot of patience is required. I practiced on a scrap Volvo one with the intention of doing the 3200 but didn't get around to it before selling.

You can buy the contactless bits for the TB for about £50 if you have the patience to do it yourself. No reprogramming but a lot of patience is required. I practiced on a scrap Volvo one with the intention of doing the 3200 but didn't get around to it before selling.

that was sensible!
I fancy a go at it. is there a how to here somewhere?

Contigo

Sponsor
If Mike is to be believed it takes a lot of time. 6-8 hours to do one once trained. Drilling into the original anti tamper material, using a drill to remove end caps and replacing the carbon tracks with a contactless magnet system. If you can do that fair play but for the money I would rather let someone who does it for a living take it onboard!

dunnah01

That's the bit - as above it will take patience and time to remove the hard green anti tamper gunge. You also need to cut the throttle spindle to shorten it a bit and solder a couple of wires. Taking the top off without damaging it is also a tricky job but once again just take your time.

boomerang

On the throttlebodies i supply, the sensors are programmed after the sensor and magnet is mounted and the butterfly is set up correctly.
If you are not able to programm these sensors, i think it will be very difficult to get the correct outputs from the sensor.
It seems that the Volvo variant of these throttlebodies can learn itself with the help of a Volvo diagnostic tool.