DMS remap

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Having said that the 4200 is booked at 390bhp and the similar F430 engine is rated at 490bhp so there should be scope for an improvement. If you change the very poor standard cats and exhaust to let it breathe better and then chip it, the power will increase to acceptable levels.

philw696

What did yours get on the run before the remap Ian ?
Mine was 425 with sports rear boxes and a BMC filter and a good thrash down to Southampton from Somerset.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Before was 447 and after was 470 dead. However, in the real world I would suggest it is about 440 compared with other exotica. I can keep up with 360s and DBSs so it's enough for the chassis!

BJL

Agreed, but if you compare the Maserati map to the Ferrari map for essentially the same engine, there are fueling differences between them. The power gap between the engines can be closed somewhat by implementing the more aggressive fuel map, but it won't give you a 10% increase.

Talking to the engineer at Meridien he confirmed the 4200 unit in the QP and coupe plus the 4.7 unit are run rich to protect the engine in extremely hot countries and to prevent pinking when poor quality fuel is used, sometimes as low as 91 octane. Plus the auto advance settings are reactive to protect the engine when being thrashed.

By altering all of the above and ensuring V power is used even they can tell a remapped car after a very short run.
One thing DMS confirmed they do not do is front load the throttle response which is just kidding the driver.

Simon

Seems remaps are a bit like marmite. I had the DMS remap on my QP when we did the group buy about 3 years ago, pre remap it didn't really accelerate in 6th at 70mph. After the remap it accelerated in 6th at 70 like it did in 5th prior to the remap.

Maybe the next person to remap could use a data logging app, time some acceleration runs before and after?

bigbob

Talking to the engineer at Meridien he confirmed the 4200 unit in the QP and coupe plus the 4.7 unit are run rich to protect the engine in extremely hot countries and to prevent pinking when poor quality fuel is used, sometimes as low as 91 octane. Plus the auto advance settings are reactive to protect the engine when being thrashed.

By altering all of the above and ensuring V power is used even they can tell a remapped car after a very short run.
One thing DMS confirmed they do not do is front load the throttle response which is just kidding the driver.

I agree re DMS. I have used them on a biturbo engine and was very impressed but many tuners are different in their approach.

There is always more in any engine if you use top quality fuel, look after then engine when cold and change the oil regularly but my point is on a n/a car it's not worth the cost. As for a mechanic being able to tell if a car has 5% more power from a short drive then I am afraid I do not believe it.

philw696

Sorry but disagree with you Bob.
As a mechanic with 30 plus years you can tell the difference.
That's why with all the technology available we still carry out the mobile decoke daily.
Biggest problem is cheap supermarket fuel in this country and people eco driving.
Just my thoughts though.

bigbob

Sorry but disagree with you Bob.
As a mechanic with 30 plus years you can tell the difference.
That's why with all the technology available we still carry out the mobile decoke daily.
Biggest problem is cheap supermarket fuel in this country and people eco driving.
Just my thoughts though.

It's good that we see things differently as so much in the world now is become uniform. In fact I much prefer people to disagree so that you have a conversation as we all learn from it.

Fully agree about fuel but you must have a more sensitive acceleration sensor in your head than me!

BJL

Fully agree Bob I don't think the engineer could tell a 5% hike in bhp but driving standard cars all day he notices the ones that have a tad more eagerness.

One of the benefits I'm getting is the car, when on cam, absolutely zinges and the revs climb as if the crank has suddenly been balanced to an inch of it's life. Suits me and wasn't expensive, relatively.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
However, it's not the peak gain that really matters, it's the 'fattening up' in the mid range. Also, they sharpened up the throttle response by tweaking it like the drive by wire. The two factors made mine feel sharper and feel like it gives more grunt in the mid range for overtaking and I too could tell a difference.

drewf

There are two aspects to this:

1. Measurable performance gains
2. Perception of how it drives

The first one is just hard numbers - I clocked mine against a stopwatch before and after the remap, and there are concrete gains in performance. Just hard facts.
The second point though is the difference in how the car drives; as Benny and Barrie are saying, that matters just as much as the pure power figures. I'm also very happy with the changes in the mid-range on mine - it's just 'nicer' to drive.

Morebeans

There are two aspects to this:

1. Measurable performance gains
2. Perception of how it drives

The first one is just hard numbers - I clocked mine against a stopwatch before and after the remap, and there are concrete gains in performance. Just hard facts.
The second point though is the difference in how the car drives; as Benny and Barrie are saying, that matters just as much as the pure power figures. I'm also very happy with the changes in the mid-range on mine - it's just 'nicer' to drive.

For what it's worth, I had some fun with an S5 today, which on paper has similar acceleration stats than my GTS. With the remap to 507 (whether you believe it or not) I had to lift three times as I followed it...with spirit! Not sure if I would have had the same result prior to the remap?

maverick

A couple of weeks ago I popped in to DMS with moz1000 when my car was being serviced . there quoted a minimum gain of 30 bhp to 40 bhp depending of engine condition all for the price of £1200 + VAT or £800 + VAT for two cars ,sorry to expensive for me and that's for approx 3 hours work ! The reason for popping in was more about the gearbox TCU which there said there couldn't do anything with .

Andyk

YOu get very mixed reactions on here for the DMS remap....Some have seen no difference for there money......and most of those have had GT's....

maverick

I must also add that it was a money back if not totally satisfied so I suppose if you don't think it's made much of a difference there would put it back to stock and refund your money , so nothing lost apart from your time.

philw696

To be fair that's a good deal because you will know where your car is at on the rollers to start with.
My old 4200 at 90,000 had 425 before the remapping.
She left with 458.8
For me it made the car far better and I notice the differences with my current 04 model.
Classico remapped works well with original gearbox software.

Chrisbassett

From what I hear, it's not about how much more they can squeeze out of it, but about how they can make what it does have more useful and more satisfying.

<10% increase isn't worth £1200 unless you're going to be winning races with it, but for better delivery and useful torque, it's definitely up there as an option.