Front suspension knock

JonnyCJ

I have an untraceable front suspension knock. Wishbone bushes replaced both sides - it's not them, steering rack removed and checked over - it's not that, lower shock mount bushes changed - it's not them, ARB bushes replaced - it's not them, wishbone ball joints checked - it's not them, track rod ends checked, it's not them.

Anyone got any ideas on what else it could be ?! engine mounts ? broken spring ?

It occurs at low speeds when I can hear it most, but also at higher speeds, although not as noticeable, which could be down to the road noise. There's no feel of it through the steering or brakes, but it's definitely from the front.

Confused and getting poorer by the day :frusty5:

Parisien

Jonny, whats with the MD approach, keep replacing bits til its fixed?????!!!!

Have you tried an acoustic aid, attach to 6 plus components to see which registers the loudest output, then narrow it down?

P

Emtee

Have you checked your brakes and pads? Sometimes you can get 'pad lift' at low speeds which causes a knocking that resonates through the suspension and up into the cabin. Usually more noticeable inside the car than outside.

JonnyCJ

I wish this had been sorted first time around - trust me !

Pad lift sounds an interesting one, the discs were recently skimmed and brand new pads fitted. Must admit I haven't come across that before, but will advise the garage to look into it.

Thanks for the YouTube video Parisien, seems like a sensible method of checking.

Almichie

I had one of these and was told it was not play in the ball joints. Turns out is was an upper joint that had failed and I only found it after I lost my temper with it; grab the top of the wheel whilst it is on the deck. Push and pull with force - I mean a lot of force! This lead to the knock being replicated and sure enough with close inspection the top joint had a minuscule amount of play.

The others to check are the anti roll bar links, the bottom shock bushes (solid in the pin and rubber in the shock with a steel insert), top shock mounts (pig to get to).

What's the car and when does it knock?
Good luck!

JonnyCJ

It's a QPV. Bottom shock bushes were changed, apparently the top ones don't have a bush ? although did ask, ARB drop links also worth checking out.

Thanks all for very useful input so far !

AndyG

Let me know when you find it as mine has the same on the rear both sides, only thing I haven't changed are the wishbones !!!!!

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Parisien

Things such a dry joint have been mentioned before, anti-roll bar links too. Are there anti-rattle shims on Maser brake pads like on other cars?

P

JonnyCJ

Not sure Parisien - have to say, it's a lot more complicated than my Fulvias and integrale ever were !

JonnyCJ

Will dig one out tomorrow, it was a black Evo 1 with tan Evo II interior. Seam welded body, Evo II exhaust mod, minter than a minty mint and I sold it to buy a Ghibli GT.