Thought it was too good to be true!

macaroni

So, after 2000 miles in just over 2 weeks, I took the 3200 to Giallos to have the gearbox oil leak fixed, only to be told that my NSF top wishbone mount captive nut needs welding. This explains the inside wear on the front tyres. Fine, I thought, no problem, I thought, but apparently the engine has to come out for this!

So now I am having both top mounts repaired, my gearbox oil leak fixed and anything else that appears during the job.

Anyone had this problem before?

Contigo

Sponsor
Sorry to hear this but this is the reason I said not to be used as a daily cos these cars do spend some time in the garage and they are not quick fixes either! Hope it all gets sorted and you can enjoy her. Mine has been off the road now for another 3 weeks as I attempt to finally nail these ******* Check Engine and limp modes caused by something in the Drive By Wire path.

davy83

Engine out will be expensive. I would consider cam chains replacement and have a really good look around the turbos and replace any even remotely rough hoses and the turbos can only be serviced with either the sub frame off or engine out, so use the opportunity!

MAF260

Cam chains were done early on the car, so that's one expense you can avoid! Good advice on the turbos and hoses if the engine has to come out. Might even be worth replacing all hoses with silicon, think somebody sells a kit.

highlander

I would agree with above. if you are going to be paying a big expense like engine removal you are as well throwing in "good service" thinking at the same time to save costs for the future.
good luck and hope it is not too heavy a price:unsure:

macaroni

Update: I have spoken to Matt @ Giallo and been explained to and shown the problem, I have also spoken to 3 other independents, 2 of which have experience of this problem before and one who had never heard of it. The 2 that had experienced it before thought the job should be done by taking the subframe down, rather than the engine out, however the prices quoted were very similar to Matt's price of taking the engine out.

I guess the engine-out route will give an opportunity to look at other stuff, as suggested, but I was hoping a cheaper option may present itself!

Still, needs to be sorted, got another 1000 mile drive coming up soon.

macaroni

2014-08-29-2425.jpg

Here is a photo of the problem, looking from underneath towards the NSF inner chassis leg, past the turbo.

It does look quite bad and seems to either need the subframe dropping or the engine removing to get at it properly.
So with the engine out I'm going to have all the other mounting points reinforced too, for peace of mind.

SimonCC

Sorry to hear about this Antony. When are you hoping to get the work done and car back on the road? Hopefully before the 13th.

Simon

hodroyd

Bit of a blow, but these things do pop up from time to time, we just have to bite the steering wheel and get on with it I'm afraid..!!

Contigo

Sponsor
Hmm mine wore the Pilots only on the inside edge. I don't know what the picture shows really but can see some sort of bubbling on it. How to check the mounts?

hodroyd

My GS is wearing inside edge to the point I have to change and the rest of the darned things have loads of tread left..!! A wheel alignment too of course..!!

macaroni

Time for everyone to check their wishbone mounts then!

Can only do it from underneath by looking at the inside chassis leg.

highlander

being mechanically inept I would not know what to look for even if I did get underneath! .........so on the list for phil to check in march when she goes in next year for her hopefully minor service.:unsure:
marconi, she will be out of commission for a while and will no doubt take up most of your war chest to fix this but when done she will be sorted........hold onto that.

voicey

Does the nut really need to be captive? Surely it just needs to be done up tight and the captive element just makes it easier?

If you could get a spanner down/up there then a new nut and washer could be put in place. Some torque lacquar could be put on to provide an easy visual check if the nut has moved in relation to the bolt.

macaroni

Highlander, yes my war chest will be depleted until I sell my Alfa, no worries. And it's "macaroni"!

Voicey, no there doesn't need to be a captive nut and Autoshield sometimes replace it with a nut and bolt, however nine isn't so far gone as to require that.
Either way the subframe has to come down, or the engine has to come out.

Safrane, I noticed that but on closer inspection that is just a silver coating. If the hose is bad it will get replaced though.

macaroni

Final update;

got the car back after it's engine out surgery; all captive wishbone mounts welded and plated, new thermocouples and a good check over and tidy up.
It is running very sweetly and feels very solid. Got it booked in for a 4 wheel alignment check on Thursday, then its off to France for the weekend on Friday.

I'd just like to say how impressed I was with the service from Giallo, Matt and Chris pulled out all the stops to get it ready for the Kent/Sussex mini-meet and really seem to know these cars inside out.

I have attached a few pics to show the work, but not sure how much you can see in them.

Cheers,

Antony

Attachments

• Mr Palourti 3.jpg
    Mr Palourti 3.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 10
  • Mr Palourti 1.jpg
    Mr Palourti 1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Mr Palourti 2.jpg
    Mr Palourti 2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 9