Windscreen wiper blade clips

johncaul

Hello all, a bit of a dull thread, but my curiosity has got the better of me. When washing my gransport the other day i noticed one of the wiper arms has a decent sized plastic clip like attachment about half way down. I then noticed the other arm had a recess in the same place, presumably for a simliar fitting which i guess must have dropped off. Has anyone got any idea what they're for?! They don't appear to hold anything in place e.g there are no washer pipes etc.

Cheers
John

Emtee

Hi John, clips under the deflector to stop the arm juddering at speed (in theory at least) A few quid from Eurospares or your friendly local dealer. I keep a couple of spares as they don't last forever. Comes in two parts.

Emtee

Ahhh, ok, thanks for taking the time to post. Cheers

No worries. Any other queries, just ask. No guarantee's to solve everything, but with the collective wisdom we'll have a good go.

Hope you're enjoying your GS?

johncaul

i love it. I came from a tvr tuscan 2, so very different. But still the same sense of occasion and another car you can't help looking at over your shoulder as you walk away!

CatmanV2

Not wrong, John.

I found myself grinning like an idiot earlier as there was a proper sweeping bit of road and 5k on the tacho in 4th.

I *love* this car....

<fx: small voice> Still scares me, though /sv>
:D

C

PaulZR

9 months later...

Can I ask a follow up question on the wiper clips?

My driver's side wiper is driving me to distraction; at anything above 30mph it emits a very loud 'thunk' at the top of its range, and at 'motorway speeds' (ahem) it often seems to struggle to stay stuck to the screen. When stationary it behaves fine and the motor appears to run smoothly.

The blade itself is a genuine Maserati part and only 6 months old. I tried to fix the issue by fitting a replacement plastic clip (the old one having fallen off some time ago) but it has done nothing to alleviate the problem, leading me to wonder whether I have fitted it correctly.

I debated the right way to do it and eventually settled for this:

photo 1.jpg

This seemed to be the only way to stick it to the arm, but I can't help but feel it should be pressing down on the plastic tab just to the left of the clip (see here):

photo 2.jpg

Have I put it in the wrong place, or could there be another reason for this incredibly irritating problem?

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 8
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 11

CatmanV2

You may need to wait a little longer for expert opinion as everyone else is out getting ******.
I don't use Maserati blade, but that *looks* right to me.
C

PaulZR

You may need to wait a little longer for expert opinion as everyone else is out getting ******.
I don't use Maserati blade, but that *looks* right to me.
C

Ha; thanks. Shame if it is right though, as I've no idea what else to try!

alfatwo

I also found the standard Maser type blades useless,so now they live in the boot for special occasions..
Like Cat I fitted a couple of cheapo's off ebay and they work great

Dave

safrane

9 months later...

Can I ask a follow up question on the wiper clips?

My driver's side wiper is driving me to distraction; at anything above 30mph it emits a very loud 'thunk' at the top of its range, and at 'motorway speeds' (ahem) it often seems to struggle to stay stuck to the screen. When stationary it behaves fine and the motor appears to run smoothly.

The blade itself is a genuine Maserati part and only 6 months old. I tried to fix the issue by fitting a replacement plastic clip (the old one having fallen off some time ago) but it has done nothing to alleviate the problem, leading me to wonder whether I have fitted it correctly.

I debated the right way to do it and eventually settled for this:

View attachment 18509

This seemed to be the only way to stick it to the arm, but I can't help but feel it should be pressing down on the plastic tab just to the left of the clip (see here):

View attachment 18510

Have I put it in the wrong place, or could there be another reason for this incredibly irritating problem?

I'm sure there are things missing off that...it does not look the same as mine.

outrun

EBay special universal aero blades for me and they're great. Seems to that any design that requires a plastic afterthought clip is fundamentally flawed to start with!

I was tempted by the Bosch aeros but they cheapos are fine so far.

adam01

Running std wiper blades, no issue at various speeds

see pic

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 18

PaulZR

Running std wiper blades, no issue at various speeds

Thanks all.

Adam - it looks from the photo like your clip is in the same place as mine. This is a bit of a detail question, but is it pushing down on the tab on the blade that I've pointed out in the attachment below, rather than prodding thin air like mine is?:

Tab.jpg

Outrun - entirely agree. If you have to fit plastic clips to hold it down, you've cocked the design up in the first place!

alfatwo

Don't forget guys these cars were designed in the 90's... things have moved on a long way since then

Dave

adam01

Thanks all.

Adam - it looks from the photo like your clip is in the same place as mine. This is a bit of a detail question, but is it pushing down on the tab on the blade that I've pointed out in the attachment below, rather than prodding thin air like mine is?:

yes they push down but not agressively, chk that u have a bottom part of that clip in place

(note subtle ref. to cricket result in pic 1 :))

Attachments

• wiper arm clip.JPG
    wiper arm clip.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 66
  • wipe arm.jpg
    wipe arm.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 66

hodroyd

The plastic clips dont last, you can put cable ties on them to hold them in place, but should not have to on a Maserati..!!

PaulZR

Thanks for the replies all. I'm going to switch to some of the aero blades and see if they solve the problem.