help , won't start

wavydave13

Just washed my 4200Gt and try to start it ......nothing , all the ignition lights come on stereo etc... but turn the key and nowt .
car was perfect before and BTW washed car with hose ,not powerwasher.

any ideas please ??

wavydave13

well, i don't know if you are "king of the cure " or what, but went out, dabbed the brake pedal and she fired straight away.

wavydave13

I don't understand why a brake switch would stop the car starting, too many electronics, i'm looking on ebay for a 1960's ford cortina.:road_rage-28:

CatmanV2

It's interlocked, together with the neutral detection. No brake connection = no request to start. Turning the key these days no longer powers the solenoid directly :)

C

Will2278

Hello,

I think perhaps I ought to start a new thread, but this seems like it may be related so I'll add this here..

I have an '04 4200 Cambiocorsa with circa. 60k miles.

A few Thursdays ago it was absolutely fine. Then on the Friday morning: nothing. When I put the key in everything lights up, but it doesn't turn over - not even slightly, no ticking of the startermotor trying to engage, just complete silence. The battery looks a little on the low side, I tested it and its a bit over 12.2V, so not low enough for it not to turn over at all. I optimistically connected a jump start to it, but still nothing.

I tried to roll it slightly as it was in the way and I think the brakes are rusted on... hence attaching it to this thread. Could the brakes rusted on cause a start inhibit?
If not do you have any other thoughts?

Many thanks,
Will

CatmanV2

Brakes won't be the issue.

Three things:
Battery. If you tried a good jump, then it's not likely
Brake switch under the pedal. All sorts of odd stuff happens when they fail
Gearbox not able to shift to neutral (what gear does it indicate?)

There are other things but that's where I'd start.

C

Will2278

dash.jpgdash.jpg

Not sure if the above will work but I tried to attach a picture.. its in neutral - if the above does't work!

Thanks so much for the advice, it's really appreciated!

best regards,
will

Zep

Ok - so do the brake light come on when you press the pedal - if not this would suggest a dodgy brake light switch. Does the CC pump prime (run for a few seconds) when you unlock the door or open the drivers door?

I don't think the low washer fluid level is related :)

View attachment 47820View attachment 47820

Not sure if the above will work but I tried to attach a picture.. its in neutral - if the above does't work!

Thanks so much for the advice, it's really appreciated!

best regards,
will

RoaryRati

Mine won't start if either door is open. Also the bonnet has to be perfectly shut - sometimes I have not shut it properly by a millimeter and there is no bonnet light showing on the dash board (although you could argue its a good anti-theft device) so I just double check

CatmanV2

Mine would start quite happily with the door open. I suspect they just made it up as they went along :)

So as Zep says can you hear the F1 pump prime. Might have a bearing.
The brake light switch is a double one. One side is N/O for the actual lights, the other is N/C to tell the ECU that it's working. If either side is broken you'll have a problem (so it might be that even if the brake lights come on)

C

Will2278

Thanks Everyone!

I'm currently away for Mothers day, but when I'm back I'll investigate with the doors shut, bonnet definitely shut, and I'll check the brake lights.

I'm pretty certain that it used to start with the doors open, but I'll check anyway to see if it makes a difference.
I'll report back Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks again!
Will

Gp79

Had a similar problem not starting, was the F1 pump, there needs to be F1 system pressure to allow start.

F1 Pump runs on unlocking, opening door, turning ignition on if pressure is low.

The brake only needs to be on to start if it's in gear, if it is in gear then during a start the gearbox will shift to neutral automatically.

I can start with doors / bonnet open, but not go into gear.

2b1ask1

Special case
My 4200 lost the need for the brake pedal to be pressed to start somewhere during my time, wouldnt start in gear though so not a problem ever.

GS needs the brake pressin but you need to be sat in to reach the start button anyway.

Will2278

OK, so I'm swinging towards F1 Pump.

I had a very swift poke around and can't actually feel the brake light switch(es). Is it located behind the top of the brake pedal arm?
I didn't search for it too hard for two reasons:
1. The brake lights work OK - Catman's point of this not necessarily ruling out the brake light switch is duly noted, but point two;
2. I'm pretty certain the F1 pump isn't priming. When I turn the ignition there is a short hum, but despite not being sure what that's is, I don't think its the F1 pump. That's an unmistakable pump priming noise for 5 seconds, right? Also the F1 pump primes when you open the door/ unlock it?

A while ago I emailed the Mas garage in Nottingham who suggested perhaps the F1 pump, but were understandably cagey as they haven't seen it. They quoted a fair amount to pick it up and look at it.

I think this may end up an expensive thing! I'm guessing the F1 pump isn't a do-it-yourselfer?

Cheers guys!

Will2278

I have a cheap OBD2 reader, thats served me well on other cars - could I confirm the F1 pump with that?
Would the pump bring up a DTC?

Gp79

OK, so I'm swinging towards F1 Pump.

I had a very swift poke around and can't actually feel the brake light switch(es). Is it located behind the top of the brake pedal arm?
I didn't search for it too hard for two reasons:
1. The brake lights work OK - Catman's point of this not necessarily ruling out the brake light switch is duly noted, but point two;
2. I'm pretty certain the F1 pump isn't priming. When I turn the ignition there is a short hum, but despite not being sure what that's is, I don't think its the F1 pump. That's an unmistakable pump priming noise for 5 seconds, right? Also the F1 pump primes when you open the door/ unlock it?

A while ago I emailed the Mas garage in Nottingham who suggested perhaps the F1 pump, but were understandably cagey as they haven't seen it. They quoted a fair amount to pick it up and look at it.

I think this may end up an expensive thing! I'm guessing the F1 pump isn't a do-it-yourselfer?

Cheers guys!

Replacing the F1 pump is a DIY if youre handy with the tools.

Here is the how to written a while ago, i followed this when mine died and it has been fine since:

http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/sho...mp-removal-and-fitting-instructions-With-pics

The pump can be bought cheaply for about £200 as it is the same as an Alfa Sillyspeed

Before you go to those lengths it is worth removing the boot lining and heat shield, then you can hook 12V direct to the pump and see if your old one will run.