Liquid in Passenger Footwell

omar_little

Hi Forum

I just noticed a build up of liquid in the passenger footwell on my 2005 4200. It doesn't feel like what water. Seems to clear and thick in density. Any suggestions as to what this might be leaking from. I'm assuming it AC related??

CatmanV2

If you try a tiny drop on the tip of your finger: does it taste sweet (really try not to drink lots).
My guess is you have a leaky heater matrix. What's your coolant level like, and are you right or left hand drive?

C

Grinzzz

Pollen filter full of water? I recall reading a thread about that on here somewhere, think it said that the drain pipe gets blocked and then the system filled with water that eventually leaked into the pax footwell. I'd guess if it was full of gunk it would be pretty unpleasant.

CatmanV2

If it's the passenger footwell on a RHD car, then I'd go with grinzz suggestion. Any maybe some antibiotics :)

There is a drain that exits behind the central tunnel on the driver's side. It simply pulls out of the tunnel, and will quite possibly **** water all over the driver's foot well, so get a jug :)

Your pollen filter will probably need changing if that pipe *is* full, and maybe a general clear out.

Full how to here:

C

CatmanV2

I suppose it could come from either side of the matrix, couldn't it? Worth checking the drain first. **** site cheaper :)

C

Grinzzz

Cheaper just to check the drain first though, just in case its something simple like that before ripping the whole heater system apart. Eliminate the simple stuff first is my motto when it comes to cars. Besides looking at the thread on the drain pipe wouldnt surprise me if most cars wouldnt benefit from having that done regularly.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Could be the drain, but I once had a leaking matrix on a Jeep Wrangler that wet the carpet. The stickiness and sweet taste indicated leaking antifreeze straightaway.
I put a bottle of radweld in it that solved the problem...just before I sold it...shame on me!

Klive

Odd. The plugged drain on mine filled the passenger side. My side stayed dry.

CatmanV2

That's the OP's symptom. The water will drain from the fan box, and possibly the pollen filer housing. The fan is on the passenger side.

Or am I smoking it?

C

Grinzzz

From reading the other thread sounds like if it gets bad enough it can be both sides, but appears to start on pax