Handbrake shoes relining

conaero

Forum Owner
Why use a company 100's miles away. There will be a local one.

Andy

See Steves post number 19, that's why we use Gary at GB bonding!

I am a strong believer in if you build a relationship with a firm it works better that way for all.

Carpetman

Hi I need new , relined handbrake shoes for my4200 is this deal still current ? Web site address not not work shown on 1st post

thank

martin

Carpetman

My shoes are now back at a cost of £47.40 Inc Return postage.
All painted etc

Friction Service Tel 01179866453

turnaround was 3 days.

midlifecrisis

Update to this, I used Friction Services too and they were back within a week of me sending them for £8.50+vat a shoe. Next day courier was £12. So all in for around £52 and like Martin says they are painted and cleaned up too. Top service.

Maseratiman

I'm not very "mechanical" and my handbrake needs pulling quite hard to make it work - what is relining and is it better/easier to just buy a set of shoes from Eurospares for £88+VAT or is there a benefit to relining?

Maseratiman

Thanks Catman - its going in tomorrow for oil changes and X-Pipe fitting so they are going to have a look then whilst its up on ramp.

Contigo

Sponsor
If it needs pulling high to be effective then you can adjust it. Get them to tighten it all the way up so you cannot turn the hub then back it off one click.

hodroyd

It could also be the drum surfaces are caked up. Drive slowly 5 to 10mph max, keep pulling on the handbrake for a couple of seconds at a time, this will eventually clean up the surface of the shoe and the drum. You should do this maybe once a week, or so..!!

midlifecrisis

I'm not very "mechanical" and my handbrake needs pulling quite hard to make it work - what is relining and is it better/easier to just buy a set of shoes from Eurospares for £88+VAT or is there a benefit to relining?
That's £88 EACH or £352 + VAT or £424 to you. The difference being obvious to get them relined. Basically you have to have both rear wheel's in the airline, chock the front! Remove the shoes and send them off. Expect a week off the road but if you're not mechanically inclined get a mechanic to remove them. You can reassemble the rear end minus the shoes but you won't have the hand brake function which is technically an MOT fail but at least the mechanic can free up his lift.
The shoes do need manually adjusting as they wear. They are only used as an anchor and so there's no automatic adjustment as far as I can see.

midlifecrisis

I'm not arguing but by 'each' I take it as one shoe. I take it you've spoke to them and had a quotation.

It's still cheaper to get them relined.

rs48635

Will get mine relined. Already have one pair out.Just need to repeat the process on the other side. Fun and games :)

Wack61

I'm not arguing but by 'each' I take it as one shoe. I take it you've spoke to them and had a quotation.

It's still cheaper to get them relined.

I read it as per shoe, everything else on the site says kit or set if it's more than one item even though there may be more than one item in the picture, discs for instance