4200 CC wouldn't select reverse

Chrisbassett

I had a great day out yesterday, drove for hours and all was peachy.
: )

Got home, went to reverse into the parking spot and no "R" - just some clicking and clunking from behind, then neutral. First came up ok, so I went for a space in front instead, but still no reverse. Hoping a nights rest will do it good and its going to be ok when I get a chance to try later today, but I can feel a warranty claim or a lightening of my wallet on the horizon.

conaero

Forum Owner
Sounds like the pressure plate tangs have collapsed, you might get lucky and it be the brake pedal switch, low pressure or the pump/relay. Check the CC fluid level.

When mine went (in the middle of France) selecting 1st would go "clunk, clunk......clunk, clunk.....clunk, clunk,then give up and give me 2nd. Obviously there is no 2nd reverse gear hence why it gave up.

This can happen regardless of age or wear, it's just one of those things.

CatmanV2

Surely brake switch would prevent it from selecting first as well?
Or indeed any gear.

C

Parisien

Check the items mentioned.....by Matt...if no joy...take it for a diagnostic, but it does sound like a clutch failure

P

Chrisbassett

Will do. No time for anything today other than confirming that the issue's still there. Battery reset just for the heck of it, then it's a matter of getting it to.someone who can diagonse.

hodroyd

Best of luck with it Chris, get someone to check that the brake lights are on when you try to select reverse just in case, but it does sound like clutch related.

Elliott653

The first sign of the clutch going on my old 42 was the car either refusing to select reverse or alternatively jumping back into neutral when reversing at low revs.

Chrisbassett

It's on the way to ADG now...sad to see the old girl disappearing up the hill on the back of a truck.

On a brighter note, the boy just walked five steps on his own for the first time...very happy parents!!

conaero

Forum Owner
Well, its sounds like its going to have a clutch, which is a good thing, as you know your set for the next few years and don't have to worry about it.

Chrisbassett

Giallo's had a look and it was just a re-calibration effort. Sounds like the software got a little confused and didn't want to select reverse. No parts needed, so it's a couple of hundred quid for the time and I'm back on the road after I wander over to Kent and pick her up tomorrow.

looks like I need to visit tfl.gov.uk to find a painless route over there...

I'll ask a few more questions when I'm there, see if I can find out more detail.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Good news, Chris - a few quid less outlay (although after all the rail fare increases the cost of a train ticket down to Sevenoaks might smart a bit!).

Any views on here regarding how often recalibration is needed?

Chrisbassett

She's back in the car park, reversed into a spot nicely

The gear selector/actuator was out of alignment, so was happy going into first but not to reverse. Matthew had it re-calibrated and all is well again.

Oh, and thanks to Alistair from ADG for the recommendation for a good local pub, we can heartily pass on his recommendation for The Chaser Inn. Great food & a nice place.

Chrisbassett

68%

So more than 20% used in 4 months. But I think a lot of that was getting used to using the CC in London driving. I'm a lot kinder to the clutch now...until I get on an open road that is!
: )

safrane

20% in four months...that's some going. I averaged five per year with 7k miles on my classic 4200

Parisien

I am more than suspicious of the clutch reading.......mine went from 15% to 60% in 18mths.......expect it back up to 50% on the next reading.....;)

P