Rear Track Rod Arms

Klive

The 3200/4200 rear track rod arms are known for developing play in them. This will be an MOT failure at best or a serious accident at worst.
You can get them replaced the Maserati way, which is to replace the whole wishbone. This was my first route and I can tell you it ain't cheap.
Alternatively at least 2 of our popular independents offer a bearing replacement service. They'll take the existing arm, push out the old bearing and push in the new. Much cheaper and maintains the original design.
A second alternative was posted by Boomerang on Maseratiforum from Maseraticlub.nl the Dutch forum which I chose to try out. As I had both of mine replaced the Maserati way there was no rush so I've had time to investigate the bearings and check the dimensions needed to ensure, in my opinion, it will be a longer lasting unit.
First of all I acquired some FLURO-Gelenklager GMBH Motor Sport Rod Ends, covers and lock nuts from their UK distributor aptly named Autosport Bearings and Components.
Bearing.jpg
Bearing Markings1.jpg
Bearing Markings2.jpg

Then calculated the rod and thread lengths required. Someone put some doubt in my mind that the thread wouldn't be strong enough, so I then reviewed this and can confirm that comparing the length of thread engaged against the minimum diameter of the thread the rod will break before the thread strips.

I have a friend of a friend with a lathe which is essential for me to ensure the thread was square. So the old bearing was hacksawed off, the rod faced off to length, turned to give an even diameter and a leading chamfer for the thread put on. The turning was not so easy as the rod is forged and is not particularly round, so only a minor skim was made to avoid going under size.
The thread was cut with a die, started in the lathe and finished in a vice as the material is pretty tough and the lathe clutch couldn't hold it. Plenty of cutting compound was used and after the final cut the thread was inspected to ensure it was adequate and fit for purpose.
The new bearing was screwed on to give a similar end to bearing centre dimension as on the original. Not so important to get this spot on as it's adjustable on the car. I'm within 0.5mm but I'll get this a lot closer before I use it as I have another original to compare against.

The fitting of the Protector Caps was probably the hardest part of the complete job as they are very tight.

So here's an old and new one together.
Arm 1.jpg
Arm 3.jpg
Before fitting to the car it will need an additional spacer to be used if the bearing thickness is important. This will be determined at the time of fitting. The Protector Caps may also need to be trimmed but these are very flexible and I'll want to maintain a good seal to prevent dirt ingress so we'll see.

Contact details are:
Autosport Bearings & Components
Unit 3, Shepperton Business Park,
Govett Avenue, Shepperton
Middlesex, TW17 8BA.
Tel: 01932 225777

Part No's and prices in September 09 were:
Bearing - G1XSW14MSD12 @ £29.22
Protector Cap - No.8 Rubber Dust Seal RDDS8 @ £2.40
Lock Nut - M14 x 2.0 RH @ £0.86
Prices are based on 2 of everything. I also bought a 4 oversize spacers that I may use but they'll have to be machined first. A washer wil probably do the job just as well.
All prices + VAT and delivery (was £5.45 for me).

If anyone wants any further details PM me and I'll either modify the post or let you know directly.

Last edited:

Parisien

Klive were these the items you talked about getting refurbed or was that only the rear wishbone? Can't get a replacement for the track rod arm anyways?

P

Parisien

And to top it all I'm not allowed to ******* swear either

I know how you feel Klive......its F******G......B****Y awful.........not being able to swear.......

When I looked at your post first, only the top two lines were visible....hence my first reply!

P

conaero

Forum Owner
There is a reason for the censorship and its a valid one, Google mark sites down heavily when crawled.

******* Google all ***** and *******

Last edited:

Parisien

There is a reason for the censorship and its a valid one, Google mark sites down heavily when crawled.

******* Google all ***** and *******

Didn't know that......thats the end of the F***** and Cussing then............:)

P

Parisien

So even the letter plus asterisks aint allowed or count towards total.....can delete post?!

P

Parisien

T......me thinks we would all get the drift anyways........or just put in an angry smilie.....:)

P

conaero

Forum Owner
Frank its only Google, i dont really care what people say, as long as its said in gest, I just use things like this, Sh!t @rse, cr@p you know where I am coming from?

Klive

Swearing I accept and I'll do my best not to be a **** but life gets to you sometimes. (Giggling Smilie)
But is the jury still out on using *********************? Can I use Masaratiforum.co.uk or Maseratif@rum.co.uk or...or....

Just a point and I think this should be totally unrelated but I did see a mention of this forum at ********************* recently. Don't know if it's still there.

conaero

Forum Owner
Klive fine, just dont use the full url.

maseratiforum - this still works, just when you add the .co.uk, the it fails:

conaero

Forum Owner
Brilliant work Klive, can I request that you do put down part numbers and suppliers contact details in your original post?.

lozcb

Missing something here , whats the crack cant get the gist

regards loz

All becomes clear now Keith ,Sorry senior moment apparently im allowed the occasional one , excellent work mate , think this will probably be on my agenda in the next 12 months so i'll be in contact when the time comes , this is where i just love this forum brilliant mate , ideas of cost would be really helpfull

regards loz

boomerang

Well done klive, that's exactly the way i did on the 3200GT.
A new set came in again for the GS.
Even this 30k mie car had some play allready.

Now we have to look for a way to swap the front lower linkage.
Did anyone do some research on that?

conaero

Forum Owner
Well done klive, that's exactly the way i did on the 3200GT.
A new set came in again for the GS.
Even this 30k mie car had some play allready.

Now we have to look for a way to swap the front lower linkage.
Did anyone do some research on that?

This one was talked about at length, but I never heard anything actually got done in the end.

I have an old set of lower wishbones if anyone can find someone to do it...donated.