Rear Track Rod Arms

boomerang

All becomes clear now Keith ,Sorry senior moment apparently im allowed the occasional one , excellent work mate , think this will probably be on my agenda in the next 12 months so i'll be in contact when the time comes , this is where i just love this forum brilliant mate , ideas of cost would be really helpfull

regards loz

My last set came directly from Furo Germany again, payed 115.00 euro's for the parts.

boomerang

Quite a lot cheaper than my direct route straight from Fluro gmbh!
Strange, but good for you guys!

lozcb

First post updated with part no's, prices and contact details.
Another :ofrj84:

Definate Kudos to you Keith , I think this will save all of us a good few quid in the coming years , A pint in Arnage is definately on me

regards loz

Parisien

Klive/Boomerang, was getting the odd little creak out of a rear suspension part, then on checking there is some movement in the passenger side rear and a bit less on the drivers side, how did these turn out and who refurbs them and turn around time? Cost of getting same done?

Thanks,

P

Klive

P,
I refurbed one as shown in the first post but have had no need to fit it yet. Costs are also in the first post.
Alternatively you can keep the Maserati design but at less cost than buying a whole wishbone by talking with Emblem or Grimaldi's. They can replace just the OEM bearing and use the same arm.

Parisien

I see the odd 2nd hand one up for sale, but some of the guys off ML reckon, even a very low mileage one will show wear and still need to be replaced prematurely. The Emblem/Grimaldi repair is using better parts too?

P

Parisien

Guys, anyone had their rear arms refurbed by Emblem, Grimaldi or Migliore? Feedback as to cost, turn around time?

P

Parisien

Spoke to Migliore in Birmingham, they do it for around £85 plus VAT, Emblem for £125 plus VAT

P

Klive

Hmmm. I could start doing this, it's not so complicated. It'll probably pay for the tooling with the first order.

lozcb

Hmmm. I could start doing this, it's not so complicated. It'll probably pay for the tooling with the first order.

Well i'll happily be your first order Keith, had an advisory from DL that there is very slight playin mine , and that they will need doing in around 12 months/8000K miles , right price just pm me

regards loz

Parisien

Klive.....was thinking of getting both done next month for MOT and having it out of the way for next spring, when I change to another Maser...let me know.

P

safrane

Had mine done by Emblem some 2 years back, good value and still 100% after 10k miles

philw696

The 3200/4200 rear track rod arms are known for developing play in them. This will be an MOT failure at best or a serious accident at worst.
You can get them replaced the Maserati way, which is to replace the whole wishbone. This was my first route and I can tell you it ain't cheap.
Alternatively at least 2 of our popular independents offer a bearing replacement service. They'll take the existing arm, push out the old bearing and push in the new. Much cheaper and maintains the original design.
A second alternative was posted by Boomerang on Maseratiforum from Maseraticlub.nl the Dutch forum which I chose to try out. As I had both of mine replaced the Maserati way there was no rush so I've had time to investigate the bearings and check the dimensions needed to ensure, in my opinion, it will be a longer lasting unit.
First of all I acquired some FLURO-Gelenklager GMBH Motor Sport Rod Ends, covers and lock nuts from their UK distributor aptly named Autosport Bearings and Components.
View attachment 1441
View attachment 1440
View attachment 1439

Then calculated the rod and thread lengths required. Someone put some doubt in my mind that the thread wouldn't be strong enough, so I then reviewed this and can confirm that comparing the length of thread engaged against the minimum diameter of the thread the rod will break before the thread strips.

I have a friend of a friend with a lathe which is essential for me to ensure the thread was square. So the old bearing was hacksawed off, the rod faced off to length, turned to give an even diameter and a leading chamfer for the thread put on. The turning was not so easy as the rod is forged and is not particularly round, so only a minor skim was made to avoid going under size.
The thread was cut with a die, started in the lathe and finished in a vice as the material is pretty tough and the lathe clutch couldn't hold it. Plenty of cutting compound was used and after the final cut the thread was inspected to ensure it was adequate and fit for purpose.
The new bearing was screwed on to give a similar end to bearing centre dimension as on the original. Not so important to get this spot on as it's adjustable on the car. I'm within 0.5mm but I'll get this a lot closer before I use it as I have another original to compare against.

The fitting of the Protector Caps was probably the hardest part of the complete job as they are very tight.

So here's an old and new one together.
View attachment 1442
View attachment 1443
Before fitting to the car it will need an additional spacer to be used if the bearing thickness is important. This will be determined at the time of fitting. The Protector Caps may also need to be trimmed but these are very flexible and I'll want to maintain a good seal to prevent dirt ingress so we'll see.

Contact details are:
Autosport Bearings & Components
Unit 3, Shepperton Business Park,
Govett Avenue, Shepperton
Middlesex, TW17 8BA.
Tel: 01932 225777

Part No's and prices in September 09 were:
Bearing - G1XSW14MSD12 @ £29.22
Protector Cap - No.8 Rubber Dust Seal RDDS8 @ £2.40
Lock Nut - M14 x 2.0 RH @ £0.86
Prices are based on 2 of everything. I also bought a 4 oversize spacers that I may use but they'll have to be machined first. A washer wil probably do the job just as well.
All prices + VAT and delivery (was £5.45 for me).

If anyone wants any further details PM me and I'll either modify the post or let you know directly.

Still waiting for my new bits to come but the good old weather has messed it up so mine will be off the road over Easter.
Phil.

Outlaw

Just reading this post for the first time, but I hope someone has checked that the range of movement in the Motor sport rod ends is no less then the Maserati rod ends.