Got a Power Steering Leak

miket

Check the connections at the rack itself, that's where my issue was, and an easy fix!

conaero

Forum Owner
Racks can be repaired fairly inexpensively (speak to Eddie at Christian Lewis or other SM sponsor service agent in your area) but I would check this first, seems you have a sharp rusty edge that could have worn the pipe that sits on top of it:

IMG_20180222_223039.jpg

Gp79

Racks can be repaired fairly inexpensively (speak to Eddie at Christian Lewis or other SM sponsor service agent in your area) but I would check this first, seems you have a sharp rusty edge that could have worn the pipe that sits on top of it:

View attachment 47584

The area circled in photograph is part of the wiring loom which sat on the secondary air pipe.

The power steering pipes are directly below this area, one does look in rusted and in poor condition, i had to replace both of mine when i first bought the car due to a leak at the bracket on the front of the engine.

Rick1008

A local garage checked my car today. The leak is coming from the oil cooler/exchanger. Its dripping in fluid. They are not cheap. What are my options? Does a quattroporte one fit? They look very similar. I heard you can also use an aftermarket performance one. Where can I get one?

Zep

Let's have a chat. I have been trying to get hold of an old cooler to see if one of my contacts can remake them. If not a company near me fabricates custom radiators.

spkennyuk

If its the power steering rad that sits in front of the normal rad then Marios at autoshield had an upgraded version made for the 4200s and GS's. Its a common weak spot for them to corrode on the U bend section of the pipework.

Rick1008

Update:
Changed the PS oil cooler radiator on Sunday.
Checked the oil level today and it seems low again. Cant work out where the leak is. Inspection booked at C Lewis this Saturday, will ask ED to investigate further.

Zep

Update:
Changed the PS oil cooler radiator on Sunday.
Checked the oil level today and it seems low again. Cant work out where the leak is. Inspection booked at C Lewis this Saturday, will ask ED to investigate further.

That's a shame, good work on getting it changed though.

Can I pop down on Saturday and relieve you of your old cooler?

Rick1008

No problem Zep. I'm booked in for 9.30am. The pipes did get damaged during removal. Will send you a photo.

Rick1008

I had my son turn the wheel for me today while I inspected the engine bay and from underneath. Cant see anything leaking. We did have the engine running.

Rick1008

Update:

I topped up the fluid and all seems good. I guess after installing the new cooler, you need to let it settle down and top up again.

Thanks again to everyone on the forum :dance: