buying a 3200- what should i look for

MUC3200GT

Check all hoses, as these do (as I have found out) perrish !!!

maybe one story from my experience: mine was running well except that the water temperature went up to 90 degress only under full load, but on 90..120 km/h it went back to 70degrees , so the coolant thermostat was not closing correctly (afterreading various forums it seems to happen quite often). After having replaced the thermostat (original at 100£ but seen already higher quotes, but maybe the one opening at 80 degree of the QP could be an alternative instead of the one opening at 85degrees of the 3200 as the 80 degree is used also in other cars and come at 40-50£), the coolant stayed at 90degree and cooling system was now under pressure and showed some steam after a hot ride. It was one of the 4 connector hoses under the intake manifold which opened directly at the clamp. Simple to fix if you once get there and thats probbaly the point where to replace more than the broken one. There are hose sets available in silicon from third party covering the front hoses at a fair price - the missing connecting ones are 32mm diameter 60mm length so one could take a standard piece and tailor it on its one. There is also a straight 20mm return from the heater with 430mm length and a 22mm to 20mm reducer towards the heater with 180mm length. And than there are the curved ones and some are differnt for LHD, and RHD and dependong on assembly number...there are some at arround 100£ and there are some for the turbo cooling. Same are at 10-20£ but same are again in the 100£ categorie when ordering the Maserati originals.

Next thing have been the breather unions connecting the cylinder heads to the breather hoses who wear over time, all in all little things but needs to be checked and done after 13years

Last edited:

Parisien

Thanks for the info MUC.......am sure we will have all the boomerang owners under their bonnets over the next few days!!!

P

MUC3200GT

hm, was I am loosing myself to much in the details ?:shy:

For me it would have been useful to know the dimensions of the straight hoses, to order silicon replacemnets in advance, so before the intake manifold is unmounted..

Last edited:

onlinesys

I have a non-OBD ECU interface and can reset the codes using the cables and software that I found via here :)

There were upgrades on the 2001 cars but not sure what they are? Skyhook ? Or was that just the AC?

Hi Nick,

Could you please advise where could I buy a non-OBD ECU interface with cable and software?

Many thanks!

Coxy13

Hey Nick,

Could you send me a bit more info on how you got a new key reprogrammed with just a black key? I have a Red key but there is no transponder in the key fob and I have only one black key.

Regards and thanks,

Neil

Hey Neil!

I think it's your car on car sales at the moment? I wish I could have bought it as I'd love a red one!

As for the above comment....That's interesting as my red key doesn't have the transponder in it either....was there a reason for this?

I got four keys in total, three blacks and one red.

Tim

macaroni

Hi,
another thing to look for, based on my recent experience, is the front wishbone captive mounts.
They are welded into the chassis legs and the chassis leg can crack, dislodging the captive bolt and mis-aligning the entire front suspension.
My front tyres were worn on the inner edges, a fact that was noted as an advisory in the MOT, but the cracked chassis leg was not.

Solutions vary between removing the engine, or dropping the subframe to access the bolt head with a welder, but given the proximity of the turbo, I'd suggest the engine out route the best.
Prices I've been quoted are similar at £1500.

It is usually the NSF chassis leg that cracks due to the NS suspension having a harder time of things with pot-holes and drains etc.

An inspection may or may not have unearthed, this depending who did it.
My car was serviced for 4 years at the same place, and serviced and MOT tested there prior to my purchase and this problem wasn't noticed. These people are also the ones I would have asked to perform an inspection.

The problem is, it is very hard to see the problem without being under the car and knowing where to look, other than the front tyres being worn on the inside.

Antony

Peter29

Non OBD interface?

Hi NickP, Can I ask, does this man you have an aftermarket gadget to plug in and read fault codes on a 2000 3200GT?? where can I buy one??
Thanks in advance,
Peter. Australia.

BigBob52

The good ones cost money to buy and better money to run. Don't even think about DIY if you don't know what you are doing! Check with an expert. Talk with Richard Grace and don't trust your gut instinct - one test drive and you will be hooked. There is nothing like a real good one but they are really hard to find.

allandwf

The good ones cost money to buy and better money to run. Don't even think about DIY if you don't know what you are doing! Check with an expert. Talk with Richard Grace and don't trust your gut instinct - one test drive and you will be hooked. There is nothing like a real good one but they are really hard to find.
Good thread resurrection ;)

alfatwo

What you've heard up to now is mostly just total bo**ocks.. for a 20 year old hooligan super car with a Maserati badge, what's not to like

Ok they'll be problems, just like any other car of that age..

Cracking down the autobahn at 165+ on the way to Lake Como. that's what Maserati 3200GT's were made for!

Dave

BigBob52

What you've heard up to now is mostly just total bo**ocks.. for a 20 year old hooligan super car with a Maserati badge, what's not to like

Ok they'll be problems, just like any other car of that age..

Cracking down the autobahn at 165+ on the way to Lake Como. that's what Maserati 3200GT's were made for!

Dave
Thanks Dave. Well said.
When you hear this old lady 'sing' you won't want to listen to - or drive - anything else.

Last edited:

BigBob52

You may even start to speak terrible Italian and come to think Google Translate is really good for this.