Reading error codes on an early 3200GT

redsonnylee

Hi,

Looking at your V A G adaptor, it's quite different from the one I use on my car. The important thing is that it must use the FTDI chipset that acts as a converter from USB to RS232, yours might have it but many don't (some use a generic Chinese adaptor) and if it doesn't use that chip the UNIDIAG software won't connect.

This is what mine looks like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cable...467805?hash=item25a71cba9d:g:AdMAAOSwBahVRgew

But make sure, before you buy another, that it's not using a generic USB to COM port adaptor. Others on here have managed to get it work on later Windows laptops as long as they installed the driver before plugging the adaptor in. If you plugged it in first, Windows will search for driver software and (from my experience) won't find the right one. To recover from this, you would have to remove the relevant driver and start again.

Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck in fault finding.

Steve

My cable is exactly the same as this one to.

gliderman4

Hi all,

Apologies for dragging up an old thread!

My FIL has a 3200GT and has asked me to try and get his old laptop up and running for diagnostic duties. I'm struggling at the moment to get anywhere. The software is installed on his laptop and the cable shows up as COM3 in device manager (disappears when USB cable is pulled out, and then reappears when reconnected so def appears correct).

This is the driver detail:

This is the cable:

I think the port settings are correct:

The issue we've got, is that when we start the software, the drop down box for the COM port is completely empty:

It wants an integer value so I've tried manually typing 3 in, but no matter what I do I can't get to select a COM port.

Would be really grateful for any pointers anyone can offer

Many thanks

dunnah01

Can't help other than confirming Init Rate and ECU values are correct and PC settings are OK. Can't really see from piccys but is there a 12v supply and 3-pin fiat connector?

Contigo

Sponsor
I don't get anything in that drop down box, you imply set the 5 baud init then click the Start and ID button then check identification sows the VIN number and ECU data then click on diagnose the view DTC's.

There are some cars out there with the 3 pin connector but which use OBD protocols.

redsonnylee

from your pics the only difference from my setup is that I don't use the cigarette lighter for power, I extended the lead and connect direct to the battery.

Can't remember exactly but I think on the blue lead there is a red led so you know there is power. Also I use an old windows XP laptop.

gliderman4

I don't get anything in that drop down box, you imply set the 5 baud init then click the Start and ID button then check identification sows the VIN number and ECU data then click on diagnose the view DTC's.

There are some cars out there with the 3 pin connector but which use OBD protocols.

Apologies for taking so long to respond. That's interesting that you also don't get anything in the drop down box. We have had the cable connected to the car, but no matter what we did we just couldn't get it to play ball. Not sure at this stage if the cable is at fault, or whether we just haven't set something up correctly.

Will maybe try hooking it up to the car again to see if we get any further.

Contigo

Sponsor
Apologies for taking so long to respond. That's interesting that you also don't get anything in the drop down box. We have had the cable connected to the car, but no matter what we did we just couldn't get it to play ball. Not sure at this stage if the cable is at fault, or whether we just haven't set something up correctly.

Hmm you are quite far from me but if you can somehow get to me or meet me at the next Ace I can bring the cables and my laptop to check your setup etc...

Contigo

Sponsor

the only other thing is that there may not be an FTDI chipset in your cable, we've seen this before from Ebay sellers advertising them as FTDI (Greg had the same) and you need to look into the OBD cable clear plastic to see the chipset.

redsonnylee

I've just had a look at mine it's not clear plastic but if you unscrew the cover you can see the chipset it's not clear on my photo but 20170121_133706775_iOS.jpgit's stamped with "ftdi"

highlander

I am completely useless at IT so even with Phil et al guiding me I still could not get this combo to work....... It is all double Dutch to me........Sad, I know :(

ledlights

Hi Greg,

One final thing, there are a number of ISO connectors in the same viscinity. The one you need is grey (or was on my car) and is behind the side carpet to the right of the accelerator - there are at least 2 ISOs there. Once the ignition is on, the V A G led should come on and if you've set the interface as per the thread it should connect. If you can keep going and avoid getting too frustrated it's well worth it in the end.

Hope this helps,

Steve

highlander

Hi Greg,

One final thing, there are a number of ISO connectors in the same viscinity. The one you need is grey (or was on my car) and is behind the side carpet to the right of the accelerator - there are at least 2 ISOs there. Once the ignition is on, the V A G led should come on and if you've set the interface as per the thread it should connect. If you can keep going and avoid getting too frustrated it's well worth it in the end.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Hi Steve
See......you say all that ISO and *** stuff.......I just hear " phi zzz, bang, bang, phi zzz" but thanks for trying. To help an inept ;)

ledlights

Hi Greg,

Okay, I understand. Try this: look for all of the 3-pin plugs that look like they might fit behind that side bit of carpet and make sure you plug into the grey one...

Good luck,

Steve

Lextasy

Banned
reading fault codes on the 3200

Hello Lextasy here,

I just purchased a Autel Maxisys MS906, which supposed to work on the 3200 and 3200 EOBD.It has all the diagnostics aboard for the modern Maseratis and also the 3200. On the premises I bought this tool After setting up the system I connected the standard cable underneath the dashboard; OBD 2 connector, apparantly my cars has a OBD 1 protocol. ( I recall the dealer saying so and it worked when the SD2 was used))

Alas NO Connection
My ECU is the Marelli IAW4CM.C1

I checked the tool on a Audi A5 and it works brilliantly.

Anyone whith some usefull tips?? I am getting pretty aggrivated with the car.

rds
JeroenIMG_2390.jpg

Contigo

Sponsor
As I said mate there are 3 types of ECU, early non OBD with 3 pin, one with OBD connector which uses old protocol and the ones with OBD connection which actually can use an OBD reader to interrogate the ECU.

Try downloading unidiag as per original post on this thread and connect your usb to OBD cable and then run 5 baud init and it should work.