Alternative parts, what everyone needs to know...

Specialized

Had standard OE and after changing my discs with the SM last year went to a full set of Mintex Premium. Nice grab when cold but had issues with the fronts after a weekend track day so lately changed them to yellow stuff EBC as per many people's recommendation over here.. True the whole braking result is now improved for me..

RMC

About to get my garage to do a 50,000 mile service on a 3200GT. Can I get pattern filters, and are there any particular fluids I need to buy ?

Lozzer

Hello. Why would you want to use pattern filters? And fluids, personally I would stick to either what is recommended by the factory or an alternative used by a respected independent.

RW3200

About to get my garage to do a 50,000 mile service on a 3200GT. Can I get pattern filters, and are there any particular fluids I need to buy ?

Filters shouldn't be expensive but if you want to source the fluids Shop4parts are good to deal with, stockists of Selenia and usually cheap enough. Always worth buying a couple of extra litres for topping up as they do drink a bit.
Will be worth checking which service is due in your schedule to determine what is required altogether. The service items and requirements are listed in the back of the handbook.
Don't forget to get the valve clearances checked if they haven't been done for a while.

R

RMC

Thank you. When I say 'pattern', I mean alternative. Not sure I completely trust the factory, given the number of inherent faults this model left the factory with. For £63,000 in 1999 it should have been almost flawless.

rockits

I had an SL60 AMG until 4/5 years ago ish that was £97500 new stock without extras back in 1997. That was a whole chunk of change back then. I paid 9k for it at 13 years old around 2010. They are almost halfway back up to 100k again now.....idiot!

philw696

With you on that one Dean nearly every car I have had and since sold has gone ballistic and the same for many of us.
Nice to have the memories though like the Summer of 76.

rockits

Agreed Phil. I don't tend to cry over spilt milk these days. It is all history and you can't change that.

I have made a shed load of mistakes, misjudgements & bad decisions. Hopefully they are outweighed by the good ones I have made. Never stops me from trying again & trying to make better judgements & decisions.

Resilience is key for me. I'll keep trying to run through those brick walls & bang my head against them however much it hurts. I'll get to wherever I'm going in the end I'm convinced. I'll let you know where I'm going when I get there!

If we all had crystal balls the world would be a very dull place I'm sure.

philw696

So true Dean.
My memories go from taking part in Guinness World Ferrari record at Silverstone in my 456 to driving the whole of New Zealand in our Mini Cooper with thousands of many other Good ones from competing in Motorsports for nearly 30 years.
As you say all part of our own unique history.

Mott The Hoople

Agreed Phil. I don't tend to cry over spilt milk these days. It is all history and you can't change that.

I have made a shed load of mistakes, misjudgements & bad decisions. Hopefully they are outweighed by the good ones I have made. Never stops me from trying again & trying to make better judgements & decisions.

Resilience is key for me. I'll keep trying to run through those brick walls & bang my head against them however much it hurts. I'll get to wherever I'm going in the end I'm convinced. I'll let you know where I'm going when I get there!

If we all had crystal balls the world would be a very dull place I'm sure.

If I had crystal balls I'd wear glass trousers.

Wack61

Thought this would be the best place to post this

Everybody knows about euro car parts and their discounts but they have a sister site carparts4less

I just priced a 4200 clutch , on car parts for less with 12% discount it's £890.63 part no 641587590, Euro car parts with 33% discount its £1038.99 part no 641587590

So euro car parts with their big discount is £150 more expensive

MGT

It can work both ways, sometimes ECP with discount is cheaper than carparts4less. I normally try both with the best discounts available on the day.

jasst

Yes it does work both ways, depends on the discount, just bought a new strut top mount for my van from CP4L, about a £5 cheaper than ECP, and it was delivered by DHL from Germany, as do a lot of bits they sell, same make as ECP, so figure that one out!

Coxy13

Might have been covered before but the leash / anti loose line on the fuel cap is the same as fiat punto/various others.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-PUNTO...200084?hash=item4b35cd63d4:g:yqUAAOSwhpZaEIXK

Slightly longer by 20mm to be exact but a good fit.

Mine was all perished and about to snap

View attachment 47075

View attachment 47076

Mate, you're a bloody legend! I let my dad take my Maser out for a run and when it came back it was Mysteriously broken....not that I was too worried but I can imagine him yanking it away cause he didn't realise....he said he didn't do it. A few weeks later, he did the same thing on my Abarth, same thing - "Oh it wasn't me, just fell apart in my hand" - Nice one....on something that was almost new....good work.

Thanks for the post hey!

Oh and for all those with Coil issues, I've seen the post before, 3200 GT coil is Valeo part Number 413735000 and fits a Citroen Xantia 95 - 03 and also the Peugeot 306 2 ltd S16 from the same era...