Handbrake Adjustment

2b1ask1

Special case
Frank, yes there is an adjustment midway up the body, a fairly simple lock nut and wind out. I found I needed to do a lot of alteration to the radius of my shoes to get them to fit the drums fully, chamfer the ends so they don't catch then adjust each side out as Ian says. Be sure to settle them properly by repeatedly 'jerking' the handbrake on and off, wind them on till they bind then back of just one click till they are just clear. When both sides are done then take up any cable slack with the middle adjuster, you should be able to get it so some contact is made on the first click and the second means you cannot turn the wheels by hand any more. Mine holds on my steep driveway no problem.

2b1ask1

Special case
Frank, I'm sure it is to the near side from what I remember, you can get to it with minimal jacking but if you have the luxury of ramps it will be easy. Good luck.

bigbob

I adjust my handbrake via the knurled adjuster between the bottom of the brake shoes inside the drum. On the rear offside you put a screwdriver in through the inspection hole and move the adjuster from bottom to top to slacken it and top to bottom to tighten. On the nearside it's the exact opposite. In my experience all the slack can be adjusted out via these adjusters.

I watched my tyre fitter do that for me on my 4200 - enough to get it through the MOT but its just postponing the inevitable. Depends how long you will keep the car.

Parisien

BUGGGER.....BUGGGGGGER.....failed a second time........

My guy dismantled and cleaned, rubbed down and checked everything doing what its supposed to do.....even so it would hardly hold on a slight incline, so 2nd time around, no better than first time!

Shoes are 1/2 worn, will get them relined, the MOT guy though cables are past it, anything else guys we can look for etc to get her MOTed in 10 days time?

Thanks

P

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Did he adjust the knurled wheels inside the drum using a screwdriver blade? What is the friction surface like inside the drum? If its ok and the shoes have half thickness and hes adjusted them properly, I can't see how it can't work.

Parisien

Hes a guy with all the experience in the world Ian......double checked it all.....so......

P

Parisien

PS...in all honesty Ian...it never worked well........when I look at previously MOT forms, it just about scrapes through......

P

Parisien

Yeah....will get them redone at BB brakes as they had been previously.........they didn't really last long!

P

JonH

Here's a dilemma......had problems with the hand brake, got stuck after parking up and linings were ripped off. Re-lined them, refitted over Xmas all working great, hand brake cable probably needs tightening. Have stopped using handbrake, as per lots of threads on here, HOWEVER over the last few days felt like they were sticking again. Took it out last night and had major problems, couldn't get car to move, eventually after a clunk, it gave and I was mobile........felt and sounded like my previous problems.
Any thoughts? I don't use the handbrake. It does work fine, and the return springs were all fine and clearly 'pull' the shoes off when handbrake released.
Help! Don't want to rip new liners off, as this is likely to cause major damage.

Parisien

I think we mostly agree, it was poorly designed and not brilliantly executed.....bit of a joke on a £60K car........

P

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Strangely enough, the one on mine works well. I've recently put new discs on and it's adjusted properly. However, I never leave it parked up with the handbrake on or just after I've washed it, and every time I use the car I pull the handbrake on for 5-10 seconds just to keep the friction area clean and free of rust.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Mines okay too, and was okay on the MOT this week.
It's hardly used though, when in the garage at home it's off in neutral gear so not applied after washing etc.

nfm

JonH sounds like what happens to me every time I wash and park. Only solution is to wash and go or dry brakes with short drive post wash. If happening when not washed, no idea.

CatmanV2

JonH, as nfm sort of implies, this sounds like what happens when your discs are wet when you park. There is a very fine clearance between disc surface and pads. They will rust in a matter literally of hours. That can make the pads stick and when they let go, you get that clunk. As soon as you apply the breaks again, the rust is rubbed off and all is good.

C

Parisien

Does the same apply to the shoes? There was an awful amount of crud accumulated in mine, needed quite a bit of rubbing down etc

P

CatmanV2

Don't think so Frank. I've had that clunk on lots of my Alfas and was always the discs, not the handbrake.

With the notable exception of Mrs Catman's 145 who had handbrake cables that leaked water into the liners....
....where it would freeze.....

Giveaway was the fact that in my experience the handbrake would go floppy when it's stuck.

C