Timeline on aircon tapping noise

Belfry

Hello All

My 65,000 mile QP5 Auto has developed a slight tapping noise from the air con compressor. I have ordered a new compressor, but I wondered how long I have before there are bigger problems? Has anyone on here run a tapping compressor for months without problems?

Clearly, I will change the compressor as soon as possible, but do I need to worry about using the aircon this week during the warmer weather?

Any experiences welcomed. Perhaps you can put my mind at rest!

Belfry

Belfry

Turn off the a/c

I have already turned off my AC, but if it's just started to tap, can I use it occasionally this week while I'm waiting for the compressor to arrive. London looks like it could be quite sticky this week.

CatmanV2

If it locks up, it'll take the belt and the alternator won't be being drive. Ergo you won't be going anywhere. It's not going to damage anything (probably) but it will be inconvenient!

Cheers

C

safrane

As C says... Mine siezed when left the car to decant tha cases outside my hotel.
Car would not turn over after so had to fly home after arranging recovery.

Just put the windows down and feel the heat!

Andy Marshall

Got my GT out of the garage this morning for the first time in about a month - no aircon! It worked when I parked it up originally. I assume it has degassed itself, but is it also likely to be the compressor needing replacement? The only untoward noise I got was just after engine start there were a couple of "chirrups" from under the bonnet as if a belt was slipping, then all went quiet - just no cold air. Belt is still in place and alternator is charging, but I have turned off the AC just to be sure. Thoughts?

safrane

Check to see if the AC compressor pully wheel is rotating. Any stiffness or wobble is indicative of one that is about to fail.

or

You may have lost all the coolant as you suggest.

AaronE

what are the failure modes of the a/c? for it to take the belt with it, both the unit and the clutch would both have to fail, no? i.e. both the bearings seize and the clutch locks closed?

I thought the clutch just failed open, leaving you with no a/c but no other damage...

safrane

Mine went, but for some reason the magnetic clutch disintegrated (the wires inside) as I drove they became hotter and hotter and once I turned the engine off they cooled and stuck fast.
The only way to start the car was to cut the aux drive belt, then of course no PAS or alternator I was on the Swiss French border!