Good evening from my corner of the world

DUCATI PILOT

Good evening all,

Just a quick message to introduce myself. I'm not currently a maserati owner however fell in love with a lovely ghibli this afternoon when shopping for a new BMW. Thought I would join and ask the experts a little advice before I make the big jump to the exotic side.

Looking forward to hopefully getting enough advice from you guys and learn from experience rather than Google.

Regards

Andy

safrane

Welcome Andy.

Asume you mean a modern Ghibli rather one from the 60s or 90s.

A few owners on here who will let you know their views.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Hullo, Andy. Clearly a man of taste. Well done! Someone in a position to say something helpful will probably be along soon, but a few on here have or have had a new Ghibli, and I've never heard a bad word spoken - nor seen it written - about them. A refreshing alternative to Germania, in my humble.

DUCATI PILOT

Unfortunately not a glorious 60s ghibli. Shame but a little out of my price range.

I'm looking at the new v6s as I need a daily drive but in inspired by the German masses . Cheers for the welcome too.

Wayne1

Good evening all,

Just a quick message to introduce myself. I'm not currently a maserati owner however fell in love with a lovely ghibli this afternoon when shopping for a new BMW. Thought I would join and ask the experts a little advice before I make the big jump to the exotic side.

Looking forward to hopefully getting enough advice from you guys and learn from experience rather than Google.

Regards

Andy

Anything you want to know specifically then fire the questions. I have had two. First a 65 plate diesel, second (current) 18 plate petrol. The fact I bought the second should give you a view regarding what i think of them. But happy to answer any questions. My main point - DO NOT take in any of the crud you read in the journo's, the press are forever comparing the Ghibli to the BMW, Audi, Merc etc.... Trust me it is better in many ways than any of them, I have had loads of German cars over the years, They are fine motors, but the Ghibli leaves them standing in lots of ways...

MrMickS

As Mark says I've had my Ghibli S for a couple of years now and it still puts a smile on my face every time I start the engine.

Its a reliable cruiser, I've done over 40k miles in it, and great fun when you decide to press the sports buttons and open it up. It is a big car though so that's something to bear in mind. I have Skyhook suspension so couldn't really comment on the standard setup. The Skyhook works though with the normal mode being ok for normal driving on good roads, then switching to sport once you want to push on in the twisties.

If you're interested in how it sounds here are a couple of videos I've taken: https://youtu.be/-1JzSfiopuw https://youtu.be/D71pGxeUKbU

If you've any specific questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer.

I was a bit unsure of the style of the Ghibli when it first arrived
Now though I think it looks great especially when you compare its looks to any of the Teutonic breed that litter my streets. If I ever upgrade from my QP the Ghibli is definitely on the radar.
Just go and buy it. You will not be disappointed

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Unfortunately not a glorious 60s ghibli. Shame but a little out of my price range.

I'm looking at the new v6s as I need a daily drive but in inspired by the German masses . Cheers for the welcome too.

New or used? I’d be wary of buying a brand new one as depreciation in the first two years is eye-watering.

bigbob

New or used? I'd be wary of buying a brand new one as depreciation in the first two years is eye-watering.

You say that Dicky and I agree for normal ownership lengths but if you buy new and keep five years it would not be silly. Personally I would want skyhook as Mick has but finding a Ghibli with this option is not easy....plus my kids would moan if there were no heated seats. Strange as when I was a kid the vinyl seats in a Hillman Hunter weren't heated and I didn't complain.

conaero

Forum Owner
Welcome. I have little knowledge of the modern Ghibli but I do know you have to be careful of the front alloy suspension turrets cracking on early models.

Its worth having a look at this area, there is a thicker version on the later models which is the one you want to go for.

Appart from that, we here little issues with these cars.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
I've had a few examples, all early cars and know of no suspension turret issues other than the one in the US outlined on here. Bigbob, understand where you're coming from, but if you're going to lose £35-40k in the first three years, years 4-5 could be a very low deprecation rate and it's still a massive hit to take. Your GTS is probably still worth 35% of new price at 7 years, a Ghibli hits this at 3 years of age.