Thinking of going german

Hexadex

Hi guys, I've test driven a Audi R8 V10 coupe low miles fsh in red with silver blades. I must admit I'm smitten, I'd be interested to hear the forums views. Still love the GS by the way.
Cheers
Hexadex

MrMickS

Wash your mouth out.

It does mean that you can sell your soul to the Devil to pay for it. You'll then have something in common with your car... ;)

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys, I’ve test driven a Audi R8 V10 coupe low miles fsh in red with silver blades. I must admit I’m smitten, I’d be interested to hear the forums views. Still love the GS by the way.
Cheers
Hexadex

Caveat: I've never driven one, but like them without the roof. With the roof they just look like a bigger TT (which is fine... but is it special enough for that money?). The reviews are good. I'd have a blue one. Red with silver blades sounds odd but probably looks better in the flesh.

There: a non-emotive response based on almost nothing but opinion. :smile:

GeoffCapes

Do everything well. Fast. Comfortable. Handle like it’s on rails.

Lot of money.

But at the end of the day it’s just an Audi.

Have a Look at the rest of the Audi range and see how much is shared with the R8.

allandwf

If you fancy it do it. :) What someone told me, regret what you do, not what you didn't do.

Hexadex

Must agree with you I could have been sitting in any Audi. My son drives a work A3 the inside is very similar.

Hexadex

Caveat: I've never driven one, but like them without the roof. With the roof they just look like a bigger TT (which is fine... but is it special enough for that money?). The reviews are good. I'd have a blue one. Red with silver blades sounds odd but probably looks better in the flesh.

There: a non-emotive response based on almost nothing but opinion. :smile:
Here it is
https://www.motors.co.uk/car-46962051/?i=0&m=srs

MrPea

It is an all weather supercar. I have driven a manual V10 coupé and absolutely adored it for the driving experience. The sound behind your head when blipping the throttle on downshift caused many giggles.
And then it stuck like glue on dodgy country roads covered in frost.

You'd have a lot of fun in one when you can get to drive it, but would it be the same when merely pootling around our doing the motorways?

Just seen your link... that interior actually lifts it inside, and is manual... very few of those are around and it'll hold value better. The one I was looking at 2 years ago was around the £70k mark.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
The inside has a nice old school feel, especially with the chunky, manual gear-lever.

I still don't like it in red, though. Mine would be the the all-electronic dash and without a roof, like this one. But I can't afford one of them and if I could I probably wouldn't buy an Audi, brilliant though they are.

What massively puts me off is that this particular advert says "be the envy of the neighbours". What, seriously? No! If that's the reason anyone would ever buy a particular car then they're a thunderous great big ar5e! That would put me right off. (sorry)

Hexadex

It is an all weather supercar. I have driven a manual V10 coupé and absolutely adored it for the driving experience. The sound behind your head when blipping the throttle on downshift caused many giggles.
And then it stuck like glue on dodgy country roads covered in frost.

You'd have a lot of fun in one when you can get to drive it, but would it be the same when merely pootling around our doing the motorways?

Just seen your link... that interior actually lifts it inside, and is manual... very few of those are around and it'll hold value better. The one I was looking at 2 years ago was around the £70k mark.
If I do the deed those siver blades would have to be wrapped in carbon fibre effect, agree that the manual is a hoot to drive.

Vampyrebat

It's your choice Hexadex, no one else's. I very recently looked at trading mine in for an RS4 Cab and very soon decided it was going to be the wrong thing to do. And there's always the snobbery part..................So, what do you drive?!!

MrMickS

What massively puts me off is that this particular advert says "be the envy of the neighbours". What, seriously? No! If that's the reason anyone would ever buy a particular car then they're a thunderous great big ar5e! That would put me right off. (sorry)

Which just goes to show how Audi think of themselves. TBH I wouldn't be envious of an R8, I'd be thinking of all of the other things that could have been bought with the same money.

sionie1

Which just goes to show how Audi think of themselves. TBH I wouldn't be envious of an R8, I'd be thinking of all of the other things that could have been bought with the same money.

^^^^ this ^^^^

Horses for courses though, I sat and test drove a Spyder when we first got the GC. We traded in an S5 and for me it just wasn’t different enough, I didn’t get the sense of occasion that the GC delivered. I couldn’t get my head round the price for an Audi when for the same money I could get a Maserati...That’s not to say it isn’t a smashing car though... the Mrs still bangs on about the S5 Cab and wanting an R8. :yeah:

Corranga

I don't get it. They look a bit too much like big TTs, perhaps less so the newer version with the all electronic dash in Spyder form, but that was nearly twice the price!

On the other hand, I think it depends what you prioritise. If you were to use it everyday, I'm sure it'd survive perfectly well, and not let you down like an older Maserati potentially would (i'm thinking parts availability / time to repair more than reliability here) - though perhaps a newer Maserati wouldn't either.
I'm happy spending my days in my little Panda knowing what's in the garage though.

The badge wouldn't / doesn't bother me.
I'm sure R8 and Audi will appeal on more folks want lists than Maserati does (though perhaps that's part of the appeal of the latter for me.)
Actually, thinking about it, I don't think I'd want to own the car that the stereotypical Audi drivers see as their halo car...

outrun

Make sure it has the optional Audi indicators.

You did ask on a slightly partisan forum!

In all seriousness, I think it's a lot of car for the money and I do get it however it's really an Audi Lambo and so I'd be buying a Lambo. I don't particularly like the r8 styling and prefer purity of lines to things with scoops, blades, spoilers and such like. It may also drop a bit of value if the market corrects as it's threatening to do. They make too many for it to ride that storm unscathed.

rossyl

It is probably an unfortunate sign of the world we live in and office politics but I rarely told people "I drive a Maserati" and I still rarely tell people that I now drive an Aston Martin. I actually tell more people about the MK1 MX5 that cost me £1.5k!

Therefore, for me its more so the car than the snobbery.

I drove an R8 V8 and thought it handled superbly. I was absolutely gunning it round a roundabout and then through a twisty road with a huge smile on my face. It inspires confidence and that is a lot of fun!

The manual gearstick is brilliant. But unfortunately probably the only great thing about the interior. It's nice, but not special on the inside. The same criticism could certainly be levelled at Porsche, the interiors are all the same. So it is not just an Audi issue. Also, with fear of getting shot, the GranTurismo interior is not as special as the 4200, which is not as special as the 3200.

If you like the way it drives and it sounds then i would go for it.