White Van T**T

Gazcw

4 of my friends were travelling back from the Lotus event at Ypres yesterday when this happened. They are all OK but the cars are probably both written off. The Espirit may be saved. Both hit the central reservation on the M20 after being rear ended by the van that was speeding and on phone.

G.

Attachments

• E2ACB5EC-3C26-47E8-9F19-FF84BF783BEC.jpg
    E2ACB5EC-3C26-47E8-9F19-FF84BF783BEC.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 7E9944B7-39F6-4A98-A4DB-24A82034C156.jpg
    7E9944B7-39F6-4A98-A4DB-24A82034C156.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 7EE48622-2215-4EAE-8D4E-5E62B311BD15.jpg
    7EE48622-2215-4EAE-8D4E-5E62B311BD15.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 191

Andyk

Headline is correct what a ****....Is the Europa written off....Hope the Esprit isn't ..... What a waste of a great car that's getting rare these days.

Gazcw

Headline is correct what a ****....Is the Europa written off....Hope the Esprit isn't ..... What a waste of a great car that's getting rare these days.

Europa definitely. Gt3 may get away with it but not sure of the damage. It has 9 lives that car as it has been in at least 3 accidents and survived without a scratch.

safrane

Social media should bombard the 'Glass House' and get that driver sacked!

No need to use the phone hand held full stop and I bet the van has blue tooth fitted as well.

Gazcw

Social media should bombard the 'Glass House' and get that driver sacked!

No need to use the phone hand held full stop and I bet the van has blue tooth fitted as well.

I do believe the police were taking an interest in him.... let's hope the van has some form of speed recording or similar.

Gazcw

How on earth did he manage to hit them both ?

Just spoke with one of them and europa was hit by van which pushed them into other carriageway and Gt3 then hit europa as well.. Europa then hit central reservation and Espirit hit hard shoulder ending up as per pic.

Gazcw

I should add these boys are not racing nut cases. They happily bimble to most places at 70-80. I passed them on the M25 on Wednesday at the start of their journey and they were only just pushing 70. Which I know is crazy in a car park

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Poor sods. I’m glad they’re ok, but sorry about the cars. I’m sure the police will take phone records and act accordingly. Regardless of the law, using a phone handsfree or otherwise is bloody dangerous because it’s a massive distraction.

It’ll be interesting to see what the outcome is, but I’d guess the van driver may have a sizeable fine and some fresh new points in his near future.

Rwc13

Looks more like a V8 to me with those wheels and the twin exhausts. Still a very rare car

TridentTested

It’ll be interesting to see what the outcome is, but I’d guess the van driver may have a sizeable fine and some fresh new points in his near future.

You would hope he will cop a sizeable penalty but recent experiences suggest not. There are many many cases of drivers getting off with little more than a slap-on-the-wrist fine for seriously injuring people. By the sounds of it there are, mercifully, no injuries here. The cops won't be interested.

The cars being "fast" cars will also work against the victims; the van driver is likely to say they were racing and clipped him 'nothing I could do about it mate'. Unless there is dash cam footage somewhere this could be terribly bad for the owners.

I despair of the state of driving on our roads at the moment. It's the wild west out there. If the cops can prove he was using his phone it should automatically result in a custodial sentence. That might focus some minds.

TridentTested

The first photo (the Esprit) looks like it comes from a dash cam - the other traffic is still pulling away in the distance, it must have been taken seconds after the crash; had it been taken minutes after the crash I'd expect to see the motorway empty, apart from those that might have stopped on the hard shoulder.

midlifecrisis

It scares me sometimes when a van is doing excessive spped on the motorway. Lord knows what sort of day the driver has had, what sort of pressure he is under to get to their destination and whether they are fully awake or actually concentrating on the road.

My advice see one coming up fast, just let him thorugh and follow his wake, motorbikes too as people move out of the way for them too...well did when I was riding them...

zagatoes30

The quality of so called professional drivers these days is something to behold, have to get to that next job on time regardless of who is in the way.

FIFTY

It scares me sometimes when a van is doing excessive spped on the motorway. Lord knows what sort of day the driver has had, what sort of pressure he is under to get to their destination and whether they are fully awake or actually concentrating on the road.

My advice see one coming up fast, just let him thorugh and follow his wake, motorbikes too as people move out of the way for them too...well did when I was riding them...

Also vans have a lower "national" speed limit at 65mph vs passenger cars at 70mph

Doesn't stop them littering the outside lane of the motorways pushing people along at 90mph

safrane

Its all this c r a p that people buy on line that has caused an explosion of white vans and idiots doing more drops than santa every day.

Still in a few years we will all be dodging drones from Amazon and the like...no more peaceful days in the garden it will be buzzzzz buzzzzz buzzzz every minute.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Still in a few years we will all be dodging drones from Amazon and the like...no more peaceful days in the garden it will be buzzzzz buzzzzz buzzzz every minute.

Well, I suppose it depends what kind of 'toys' you're buying from Amazon, Peter. But generally best to not use them in the garden, I'd guess.