Badges?...........We don't Need No Stinkin' Badges!!

Corranga

Haha, almost complete consensus on an internet forum. What's the world coming to :)

I'm also in the with camp.

I recently bought a water flosser. I wonder if the pressure from one would be enough to clean out small areas like this, but low enough pressure to not cause damage.

You can combine with the toothbrush with a modified polish head that... highlander? mentioned before for a complete Maserati dental hygiene kit - but only if you use the brush to clean the grille ;)

Vampyrebat

Good idea!...........I was thinking white spirits and Q-tips at the time but opted for the removal.

Mr S

When I wash mine, straight after the snow foam, I use a soft detailing brush to get in all the nooks and crannies of the badges, so I don't have to worry about going near them with the wash mitt, and getting bits caught in them, or ripping them off.

Vampyrebat

You sound as OCD as me Mr S!! I think what happened was expansion/contraction of the badges left some of the adhesive exposed which then just allowed the dirt to stick to it. At the weekend they go back on!

markp4200

Too late to post really but after all the effort the stylists in Italy went to 'way back when'; they left them off the originals and added them later I believe.
These coupes are renowned for their clean curvaceous looks which are spoiled by any badges ...so it's 'leave them off' from my view.
Also I don't understand why Maserati then decided that the V8 badge was deemed necessary - again just detracting from that gorgeous profile.

So I have a question.
In July my 4200 is booked for stone-chip removal from bonnet and front wings. The body shop have told me that the plastic V8 logos 'could' break with removal for spraying.
That being the case: do I not replace them?
Always hard to balance the need for total originality and purity.

safrane

Its only advertising...leave em off.

The only one which looks any good is the Maserati scrip on the rear.

Do Ferrari and Lambos have V6/8/12 badges?

Vampyrebat

I can't see them breaking as I do believe these are also stuck on (but could be wrong as I have never taken them off). I agree also Mark, they do somewhat look a bit out of place and would look better without. Approx. 6 months ago, I had my whole front end resprayed. the badges definitely came off for that. No breaks still intact. I don't think you will have a problem.
On a hot day give one a bit of a wiggle and if there is play in it then I think it is fair to assume they are stuck on.

markp4200

Thanks chaps, nice that others have good taste too.
It did feel a bit 'showy-off' and even 'added-on' and quite out-of-keeping with the rest of the car - also agree that the 'Maserati' script on the boot lid looks perfect and just enough to remind anyone following just what it is they are lucky enough to be able to share the road with a slice of history.

Vampyrebat

V8 badges are solid steel so will not break when taking them off. Just twist them from side-to-side to take off rather than trying to pull off from top or bottom to avoid any indentation in the wing. I then cleaned the areas with soap and water, then went over the area with a scratch remover paste and then finished with a polish............Job done!

WP_20180516_10_37_35_Pro.jpg

I also found that Audi did this with the S4 cab I had, after 2005 they started putting V8 badges by the repeaters........Just looked wrong

TimR

Can I ask, before I break something, how the c pillar badges are affixed....? Also, the boot lid “ Maserati” script...?
Grtzzz....!

safrane

I posted a How to on the rear scrip removal wirh a series of photos.

it should pop up in a search of the same under my posts... it was about 4 years ago.

Vampyrebat

Yep!...........'C' pillar badges are stuck on as the V8 badges but these are a lot more fragile then the V8's so be gentle when twisting them off. I would recommend heating up the area with a hair dryer if it's a cold day.
The boot lid script is again stuck on, but there are 2 locator prongs on the metal badge that locate into 2 holes in the boot. Be careful not to bend the script as this will make it harder to re-locate. Again I advise heating the area firstly. I use this double-sided tape to re-apply badges from Hobbycraft and it does the trick very well
https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/red-liner-double-sided-clear-tape-3mm-x-10m/631559-1000

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
A bit of fishing line to cut through the old sticky tape works wonders as well. Presumably dental floss would be similarly useful. Heating up first still helps.