Worldlotteryclub.com FRAUD or not?

Phil the Brit

I need your help Sports Maserati people. It is difficult to think logically sometimes when some company has just drained your bank account of £2100.
Story is this.
Wife likes to spend £6 a week on two lottery tickets but can't always get out to get them. She found through an offer she was emailed (Groupon she thinks) a website which enabled her to buy online her tickets. She put in her credit card details and thought no more about it. Shortly after this we then went to the US for two and a half months and she did not check her credit card statement until we returned last week. The company www.worldlotteryclub.com had increasingly billed her larger amounts each week, the most recent weeks was at a level of £147 per week.
She has no recollection of going on the site and authorising this. She contacted them five days ago and they replied that she had authorised the transactions. She then wrote back asking for proof. They have not replied to this email so she has now contacted the credit card company to dispute the charges.
I have looked at the site and I can see that it automatically bills you forever if you don't untick a box but I can't fathom out how they have the ability to increase the amount legally without her input. She swears she didn't do this and to be fair she is normally very cautious.
She has also now cancelled the relevant credit card so they cannot take any more money from it.
She was proper in the doghouse with me but maybe I am being unfair.
Can any of you guys please tell me if I am being too ******* her or whether this is a scam site.
She is not the first to be duped, he is one link I pulled up yesterday.........
http://www.lottoexposed.com/worldlotteryclub-exposed/

BL330

I reckon its a scam. We have one in Australia that claims it allows you to bet on lotto's from all around the world. You aren't buying a ticket but betting that a ticket you might have bought will win. They claim to have the funds to pay you the winning amount, in some cases 100's of millions. They advertise on TV, have sponsored a Rugby League team and their stadium. My bet is they never pay out to anyone!
On the banking side, my son ( a student ) has a card he used to sign up for a dating service. They kept hitting him with 40 USD transactions from a Cyprus account, even though he quit the service. They then shared his card with 2 other businesses from Cyprus. We cancelled the card and the bank is refunding the whole $600 taken.

outrun

You’re protected provided it was a credit and not a debit card. Call the provider, tell them all the fraudulent transactions and they will refund them quickly. It’s then up to the company that took the money to challenge the chargeback if they have the evidence, time and patience. The weight of law if firmly on your side here so you likely never hear from them again.

outrun

Then you're fine. Call them and ask for all the money back stating that you did not authorise the transactions. Job done.

Mattp

That took them a while to sort, was it just time ticking by, or did you have to really battle for the result?

Either way, nice to see the protection worked as it should and you didn't end up out of pocket.

Phil the Brit

It was a battle to sort as they initially denied the claim. I pointed out why they were wrong to deny and got them to see it my way.

Wanderer

Mrs did one with Viagogo for Hozier tickets in Dublin, think they were €45 each, she ordered 2, got charged €954 with 'service fee' etc.

And she used debit card not credit but we got the money back with threat of chargeback, was all a bit easy in the end - sort of a shame cos I was in the mood for a scrap!