2005 QP - new clutch quotes - HROwen £5.4K, Nuvola £3.1K - any better?

Pramrod

Still hope I'm 6 months+ from needing to get the clutch replaced (55% wear)
Nareman at Nuvola had told me he could get it done for £2k when I bought her in May 2016
However when I asked him for a quote late last year (via Colchester Maserati) - the actual was £3,100
So I tried my luck at HR Owen St Albans - haha £5,379 no less!!

Are there any serious savings to be had on that quote from Nuvola?

Cheers!

Is Nareman still around? Wait till the clutch shows symptoms rather than going only off the % wear. Where are you based? Contact a local indy. I lwoud not be taking it to a main dealer for this work - but that is from a GranSport perspective - I know little about a GranSport and even less about a QP.

My local indy is Autoshield Maserati in Manchester and is the only place I take my car to. If this is within reach it may be good to contact them for a price when you are ready?

safrane

Nareman is close to the mark.

c £2k - 2.5k for a 4200/GS clutch with spigot and release bearing.

£3k for the early QPs with the same.

Mattp

http://www.bowkermotorgroup.co.uk/maserati/offers/maserati-clutch-replacement

Bowker Maserati offer fixed price clutch replacements. Repairs are carried out using the industry leading tools and equipment by our factory-trained technicians. All prices include Maserati Genuine parts, labour and VAT.

Maserati 4200 (Manual) £2,492.00
Maserati 4200 (Duo Select) £2,392.00
Maserati Quattroporte (early) £1,995.00
Maserati Quattroporte (late) £2,395.00
Maserati Quattroporte (late) £2,495.00
​Maserati GranSport £2,695.00

if not local, maybe some useful haggling material...

safrane

Yes but the above do not include a spigot or release bearing.

An indi is the way to go... MDs just want the annual service spanking.

Mattp

That's interesting to know... I always assumed that all the bits would be included... the last clutch I had done was my Alfa and the release bearing came with the clutch. I thought it sounded cheap for a main dealer... im not the most technical with cars... how much is a spigot and what does it do?

alfatwo

Talking of which - how's the rehab going Dave?
You back up to full speed?

All going to plan thanks mate, it's been a hard six months ... I may still struggle with the old 3200 clutch though, as It's the first run out since last Oct on Saturday afternoon!

Dave

safrane

Spigot is less than £100 on the coupe, should be similar on the QP.

Its a no brainer to fit it as you can only get to it with clutch out and if it is worn you will develop a Owl type hoot when you change gear and it spins on the shaft.

Ryandoc

GranTurismo here but I got £3.7k and £3.9k from two dealers and paid £3.1k from indi, that included release bearing, we did buy a new flywheel but was bugger all wrong with mine and we sent it back and I did some jiggery pokery and got a new battery instead

Andyk

5k...Jesus....I just couldn't justify that sort of money and that's on a car Roth around what 15k ....... Bound to get it cheaper. Great cars but so expensive to maintain.

safrane

If you compare that with Charlie's Mini ahe was quoted by DL £1,800 on a car that cost £14k new.

So against a £80-90k GT its not that expensive in comparison Andy.

Zep

how much is a spigot and what does it do?

The spigot bearing is a small bearing which is in the middle of the flywheel. There is a shaft that passes through the centre of the clutch which sits in this bearing, which holds the shaft centrally to allow the clutch to do its job.

The pricing you published above is interesting. A 4200 CC and a Gransport are exactly the same but the GS is a few hundred quid extra!

Pramrod

He's most probably done a runner!
Dave

No Nareman's still around and provides some great and extensive support. (Really good considering I only spent £20k with him and most of his customers spend double that).

Big call out to him and Dickie Grace who both gave lots of time and good advice on buying a QP.

But Nareman's struggled getting my QP serviced or fixed in a reasonable time. Seems like the main dealers have a huge backlog, at least last year. Has anyone else experienced that?
She's my daily runner and having the car off the road for 3 weeks at the dealer is just a no-no.

Pramrod

Nareman is close to the mark.
c £2k - 2.5k for a 4200/GS clutch with spigot and release bearing.
£3k for the early QPs with the same.

Hmmm... interesting. Thanks!

http://www.bowkermotorgroup.co.uk/maserati/offers/maserati-clutch-replacement

Bowker Maserati offer fixed price clutch replacements. Repairs are carried out using the industry leading tools and equipment by our factory-trained technicians. All prices include Maserati Genuine parts, labour and VAT.

Maserati 4200 (Manual) £2,492.00
Maserati 4200 (Duo Select) £2,392.00
Maserati Quattroporte (early) £1,995.00
Maserati Quattroporte (late) £2,395.00
Maserati Quattroporte (late) £2,495.00
​Maserati GranSport £2,695.00

if not local, maybe some useful haggling material...

Thanks - that's really useful. If £1995 for a 2005 (MY2006 model) is right - then I'll plan a mid-week trip to the Yorkshire Dales, grab a courtesy car and take my walking boots.
Plus I can easily work from wherever I am. So significant savings with these out of the way indies are interesting.... as long as there aren't any problems.