Disappointment after 5 years

Years ago watched a you tube video (Brendan and something) where they take their GS out for the last time to deliver their car for sale and I thought I could never do that. Yesterday, dropped my GS off at Richard Grace's pad to move on and driving it over to Chester made you realise what great car they are. My Alfa 75 ( had it since 1993) restoration fund and new Maser have meant cash / space left no option to sell but convinced me in years to come the GS will be the car that delivered the best overall driving / value / sense of occasion bang for your buck and how I should have used it more. I saw Ewan's old cup car yesterday and that looked amazing too.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
In my experience German cars are fantastically well made and brilliantly capable and will cope with just about everything day to day. Excellent, but soulless. I've had many good drives in mine but at the end of them I've never once walked away, stopped and looked back at them thinking “what a carâ€. Yet, I do this just about every time I beast the Maser because I feel I have a connection with her soul. Each to their own but German cars, to me, are very close to high end automotive ‘white goods'.

rs48635

Anyone been outside / into garage on a sunny day to just sit in their AMG? Maybe just leaf through the manual, listen to the eight cylinder symphony and grin lots ? Find yourself at the newsagent unable to pop in as you are only wearing boxer shorts? Better go the long way home, just in case you were recognised.
Off out to play now :D

Tipmethewink

Feeling a little ashamed now :(
Sorry, I speak from personal experience being the one without the bottle. You probably made their day. It's amazing how many windows you spot winding down as you overtake on motorways, I always assume so they can hear you rather than spit at you.

montravia

Agree re the MPH... I tend just to sprint to 60/70 then ease off... most of the time you have come to a new set of lights or roundabout by then.

Saw a M3/4s and Golf R racing on the M4 yesterday... how they avoided a smash I will never know.

Not tempted. Nothing to prove.
Mine's a Maserati

D Walker

Agree re the MPH... I tend just to sprint to 60/70 then ease off... most of the time you have come to a new set of lights or roundabout by then.

Saw a M3/4s and Golf R racing on the M4 yesterday... how they avoided a smash I will never know.

I'm the same, mostly, if it's twisty, well sighted, I'll have a bit of fun but can't see the point of being fast in a straight line.

rockits

I think a whole massive industry & people that live & die on that little 1/4 mile strip might disagree

D Walker

I think a whole massive industry & people that live & die on that little 1/4 mile strip might disagree

Yep, I’ve a good mate who races a tricked vw beetle, last time I talked to him he was rebuilding his £8k indestuctabe gearbox for the 3rd time, made me feel better about our 2.5k clutches..... I think when he added it up he’d had had 7 miles out of it,,, 7 1/4 mile runs, slow downs and drive back to pits......

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Brutal acceleration in a straight line is pretty pretty handy for over-taking, too. The challenge is remembering to stop accelerating like h3ll after the over-taking part is finished.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Feeling a little ashamed now :(

Don't be; what's the point of having a super grunty performance car and not having the b4lls to drive It? It's a bit like having a cluncking great Rolex and not being able to tell the time. Such people are pr!cks.

montravia

Don't be; what's the point of having a super grunty performance car and not having the b4lls to drive It? It's a bit like having a cluncking great Rolex and not being able to tell the time. Such people are pr!cks.

Just the chunking great Rolex covers that

GeoffCapes

At the more enthusiastic end of the speed limit, yes. But not on the way there. I'm pleased to see the Strad hung on all the way (and then some). It reminds me of Azapa's comments regarding his Strad and some version of a fire-breathing Porsche on a track day.

These cars hide their true capabilities just below the radar of Ferrari's ego, I think.

Rumour has it that the GTS has a bit more than 440bhp and the Strad has quite a bit more than 460bhp.
There's a group of yoofs near me who are setting up a cheap rolling road day for their souped up motors in a month or so, I might take the GT down there just to see what it actual produces.
Although if it falls way short of 440 I'll be a little embarrassed.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Rumour has it that the GTS has a bit more than 440bhp and the Strad has quite a bit more than 460bhp.
There's a group of yoofs near me who are setting up a cheap rolling road day for their souped up motors in a month or so, I might take the GT down there just to see what it actual produces.
Although if it falls way short of 440 I'll be a little embarrassed.

iirc there's an allowable 5% deviation from quoted figures. When a manufacturer presents an engine for assessment of its power, they naturally use one they're pretty chuffed with to get a high reading. Realistically you can expect to come in a little way below that. Mine is officially 565bhp, but apparently real world is a fairly consistent 540. What's interesting about the whole Maser/Fezza thing is if Maser is under-reporting compared to the story it could be telling. I think Dan! has some stats somewhere on here from a dyno test he had after a re-map. All that said, I suspect in this case it's the acceleration which is under-reported more than the power output.

GeoffCapes

The other thing I don't want to do is damage my pride and joy on a rolling road.

To be honest I would say the performance is more than 'adequate'.

Well, the missus always tells me to slow down so it must be quite quick.