Disappointment after 5 years

Wack61

I can see why after 5 years you'd be thinking to sell it but for me owning a Maserati has never been about performance , it's about the Maserati experience, burble through a town centre at 30mph and heads will turn , stop in a petrol station on a Sunday afternoon and people will ask you questions, boy racers in 1.1 hatchbacks want to hear it rev at the lights, driving a twisty road in my 200bhp MX5 on a sunny day is much more fun than driving the 4200 but I still like it

Wanderer

I get a flood of blood to my penis* everytime i close the boot lid and see the Maserati script.

My case comes up on Friday, again!

* whats wrong with b o n e r??!

safrane

OK I have to admit that yesterday I complement two Merc owners and their cars.

One was a clasic 350SL

The oter a newish E class rag top in black with cream leather and a big burbling engine from AMG.

Corranga

I guess it comes down to what you want and why.

I'd imagine the Merc is a very good replacement for a GranSport, perhaps other than the sense of occasion - but that might well be replaced by the overall driving experience.

I think the GranSport / 4200 etc. are a bit in the middle right now. They feel relatively modern (as in they don't feel like driving classic cars) and the steering is quite heavily assisted, so that probably doesn't help.

As others have said, the smile factor of driving a Maserati, seeing that trident or boot lid script is greater than the 3 pointed star, but if that's less important to you, that's also understandable.

What is certain for me anyway, is that this is an interesting discussion, so keep us posted :)

Jnismith

A load of my friends have bought 911’s as second cars. I really don’t care which is best but the Maserati is different and I always get people asking me about it. And I guess that’s it. My Dad always used to buy different (****) cars and I like to be different too.

MrPea

Nothing wrong with wanting to move on to something different.
For me, I have my dream car, although I'm amazed to have been able to get the GS version. I do, however, wonder that I'll want to scratch another itch and may change it. Currently I don't expect that, but who knows?
As for the performance... well it's made by the drama of it all! That and the place it is to sit. Last night I was driving some lovely B roads with the roof down. Mostly I was taking it easy and pootling, but the grin was still super wide with giggles. Just such a special place to be, from which to watch the stars above.
Alright, I did also redline some gears as well, tearing through some sweeping twisties.

I hope that, whether or not you do move the GS on, you get to go and and play in many other awesome cars to help you make your choice!

Andyk

And of course, nobody comes up to you and says ‘what a nice Mercedes'. However, when you have a Maserati....

I beg to differ. I was in the service station on Wednesday and a chap commented on how lovely my C class looked and it's a diesel. Ok I was very suprised myself to be honest. And I will also say that the amount of comments a friend had about his C63 when he used to take me for a spin was amazing considering...Lots of nice car mate.

MrMickS

Nothing wrong with wanting to move on to something different.
For me, I have my dream car, although I'm amazed to have been able to get the GS version. I do, however, wonder that I'll want to scratch another itch and may change it. Currently I don't expect that, but who knows?

M says that she wants first refusal when you do decide to sell ;)

MrMickS

I understand wanting to move on if its not giving you that feeling anymore. I also understand driving something that feels different. The little Alfa Spider I have feels much more connected to the road than the Ghibli. That's probably down to all of the luxury in the Maser. They both turn heads in different ways and both put a smile on my face. If I decide to change the Ghibli it will be to get something thats more sports car than cruiser. At the moment its still the perfect place for me on trips.

Strad

I loved my C63, much more drama and theatre than an M3/M4 or an RS4 can offer and I would definitely get another one BUT it’s not a patch on Maserati. Now that’s theatre for you, talking of which, time for a quick blast in the sun..........

rockits

They are very very different cars. My E55K is a similar stock & drive I expect to your E63 and pretty bruttish. Just power everywhere in any gear at any point in the rev range. Real usable day to day power. With a pulley & a map your getting up to 700hp on an E55K.

The 4200/GS needs to be wound up a bit more and all the better for it. Strong mid & top end whereas the AMG is all about low down torque & mid range. No surprises there.

Many have looked and commented on the E55K but mainly people who know about cars. Normally they look at the huge brakes & 6 pot calipers on the front & comment.

I don't such much out there at GS price levels any better at what it does. Sure, there is tons better but you need to start adding a lot more cash to get there. Not really a fair comparison to compare a 25-35k car to a 60k car or even substantially more.

Mattp

My friend has just bought an Audi S6 wagon, the dyno plot has the machine pushing nearly 770bhp, the thing is mental! Every press of the loud pedal just makes you laugh! Manically!
Its a relative sleeper, full of practicality And for sub 30k I'm not sure there is much that really come close for get up and go

Panicracing

They are very very different cars. My E55K is a similar stock & drive I expect to your E63 and pretty bruttish. Just power everywhere in any gear at any point in the rev range. Real usable day to day power. With a pulley & a map your getting up to 700hp on an E55K.

The 4200/GS needs to be wound up a bit more and all the better for it. Strong mid & top end whereas the AMG is all about low down torque & mid range. No surprises there.

Many have looked and commented on the E55K but mainly people who know about cars. Normally they look at the huge brakes & 6 pot calipers on the front & comment.

I don't such much out there at GS price levels any better at what it does. Sure, there is tons better but you need to start adding a lot more cash to get there. Not really a fair comparison to compare a 25-35k car to a 60k car or even substantially more.
You totally understand where I'm coming from. I also have owned 2 AMG 55K cars, SL and CLS, the latter have DMS remap and pulley mod, CLS Vmax 196mph. Great engine and when the 63 NA came along was just boring to the K engines. I know the Maserati 4.2 is low torque but above 4k rpm is great fun and sounds amazing and I luv the GS but having all that torque in the AMG is just something epic that you take for granted, I have to say the 5.5 BiTurbo is the best thing AMG have done since the 5.5k, as a footnote the SL55 AMG is most likely the best car I've ever owned. On par with the E39 M5, bloody Germans.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

conaero

Forum Owner
I loved my C63, much more drama and theatre than an M3/M4 or an RS4 can offer and I would definitely get another one BUT it’s not a patch on Maserati. Now that’s theatre for you, talking of which, time for a quick blast in the sun..........

Interesting, on Friday I had a C63 trying to show off in traffic nr Guildford. Rattling the exhaust etc, we’ve all been there.

Anyway, he sees the Strad and sort of looks a bit humbled. He pulls behind me (young chap twenty-something) and looks like he’s going to push me for a race...you know that feeling.

Now, not knowing the stats on the C63 I am thinking it may be me who gets humbled so resist his advances to be drawn into a dual....that lasted about 3 miles until I thought...I’m simply not having this, so ‘engaged’

Expecting to be out pulled I stuck to his bumper (must have been well into three figures) and eventually he conceded and pulled over and I blasted past at Mach 2.

The noise of the C63 AMG was epic so I am assuming it wasn’t a badge kit.

I was surprised how easily I got past him.

Tipmethewink

Interesting, on Friday I had a C63 trying to show off in traffic nr Guildford. Rattling the exhaust etc, we've all been there.

Anyway, he sees the Strad and sort of looks a bit humbled. He pulls behind me (young chap twenty-something) and looks like he's going to push me for a race...you know that feeling.

Now, not knowing the stats on the C63 I am thinking it may be me who gets humbled so resist his advances to be drawn into a dual....that lasted about 3 miles until I thought...I'm simply not having this, so ‘engaged'

Expecting to be out pulled I stuck to his bumper (must have been well into three figures) and eventually he conceded and pulled over and I blasted past at Mach 2.

The noise of the C63 AMG was epic so I am assuming it wasn't a badge kit.

I was surprised how easily I got past him.
I think it usually comes down to who's willing to break the speed limit more than actually which car's "quicker".

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I think it usually comes down to who's willing to break the speed limit more than actually which car's "quicker".

At the more enthusiastic end of the speed limit, yes. But not on the way there. I’m pleased to see the Strad hung on all the way (and then some). It reminds me of Azapa’s comments regarding his Strad and some version of a fire-breathing Porsche on a track day.

These cars hide their true capabilities just below the radar of Ferrari’s ego, I think.

safrane

Agree re the MPH... I tend just to sprint to 60/70 then ease off... most of the time you have come to a new set of lights or roundabout by then.

Saw a M3/4s and Golf R racing on the M4 yesterday... how they avoided a smash I will never know.