Gone

murph7355

Well, car sold at the weekend. Big thanks to Richard Grace for advice and the simplest of sales processes. Happy with the price (depreciation no worse than other cars at this level).

New owner has a fantastic spec and condition GT. May they enjoy the car to the full.

My final thoughts...

Great cars in many respects. Fantastic to look at and massive road presence, best std exhaust noise of any production car. Interior very lovely if spec'd right and tons of space for 4 adults or a family and their stuff (though compact buggies and cases required :)). Felt special and always attracted good attention. On the right roads was exciting to drive. My kids liked it a lot.

So why has it gone?

Fundamentally I wasn't using it enough. I've put this down to a few things...

- I wasn't up for using it all year round. I have done with previous "special" cars, but no longer have the need (Audi RS4 gets that duty) and wanted to keep this car in top nick (so not the car's "fault")

- they're too big and heavy for where I do most of my miles, namely B-roads. They can be hustled quickly, but their size and weight is noticeable. Had I used A-roads more frequently this wouldn't have been as much of an issue. They are firmly in the GT end of the spectrum rather than "sportscar" (duh...clue's in the name I know :))

- there are practicalities in use that were a bit too compromised for me in the end to simply make it a jump in and hoon type car. Three main examples

(1) the front is very low to the point it wouldn't go up/down my drive. I could excuse it this to a point as it looked so **** good, and so "suffered" using the other route into the house (no electric gates on that route though - first world problems :)). But it's worth noting that my Aston V8 Vantage used to go up the drive no issues. And that's hardly an ugly 4x4 that doesn't handle...

(2) the doors are huge. Most of the time not an issue, but there are times in car parks etc where that can be problematic

(3) the seats move forward sooooooo slowly when accessing the rear that it's comedic

I'm really glad I've owned one and feel privileged to have done so. They are magnificent and petrolheads around the world should rejoice that Maserati make these. The replacement is needed but the GT will be a classic one day. Compared to similar function cars values are stupidly low.

Would also like to thank everyone on here who gave advice during my search a couple of years ago...good forum with lots of knowledge.

Not sure what car is next...I'd like to try a 911 and my kids are possibly the right sort of size to be able to squeeze them in the back for a bit. So that itch may get scratched next. Staves off being sensible with the money for a bit longer!

Andyk

Well done on the sale....get your reasons for selling...Great car to have owned but if you want a Sports car to hustle down you fav B road something smaller would suit the job...like you say a 911 would do the job and is still a great drivers car. Have fun searching for your next car and would love to know what you buy.

bigbob

Good write up, fully understand everything you say.

I was in the Porsche OPC in Edinburgh recently and had forgotten how small the space in the back of the 911 is - the GranTurismo's greatest asset if the you have kids.

Also we sat in a 911, Boxster and then Cayman (not called this now but you know what I mean) and one of the teens pointed out to me that from the passenger seat they were the same car despite one being twice the price of the others. That's the problem for me, they have never developed the Cayman as far as they would if the 911 did not exist. Can't buy into a brand that restricts a car to protect another but wait there that's what FCA did with Maserati when it owned Ferrari also....the next Maserati Coupe has a lot to prove!

zagatoes30

Excellent update and just about summarises my thought process, I don't need 4 seats so AM Vantage or if man maths don't work Cayman S

conaero

Forum Owner
"its better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all"

All the best fella and sure you'll be back one day, these cars get under your skin and 3 months without one starts the eye wandering once more.

Andyk

Thing with Maserati is that it can win you over and love it to death and frustrate you in equal measure which you seem to have found out. When they are going well and on the right road you wonder what else to have....Then there are the other times....

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Good assessment, I enjoyed that. Having just moved from a GTS I get what you mean about the front-end clearance. It's a low car with a long overhang and often scraped. The doors are indeed huge. I'm only noticing now how big they were. The Vantage doors, as well as opening slightly upwards, are an awful lot shorter. In many ways it makes for a more practical car (although I'll be equally wary of parking it a multi-story!).

conaero

Forum Owner
Thing with Maserati is that it can win you over and love it to death and frustrate you in equal measure which you seem to have found out. When they are going well and on the right road you wonder what else to have....Then there are the other times....

You just summed up marriage there Andy!

Contigo

Sponsor
If they are the only 3 reasons you got rid of it or the only criticism then you are really being pedantic lol!!!

Doors too long yes agreed but slow seats! Push them at the same time! And the low front is a little issue but even worse if lowered.

Hope you enjoy whatever you get next!

The Cayman is a nice car but there is only one thing not right about it - it isn't a 911! Every time you lock it and look back as you walk away, you'll say to yourself "I should have bought a 911 Turbo" and it will eat into0 you and within 2 years you'll chop it in for a Turbo!

The 997 gen 1 Turbo is a lovely car and the last of the Mezger dry sump engine. Manuals are pretty scarce - most are PDK which is very good double-clutch pre-engaged gearbox. Lightning fast shifts in auto as well as paddle shift manual.
The 997 Gen 2 Turbo is a DFI engine (non-mezger) but really very good.

The Turbo and the Turbo S are probably one of the fastest point-and-shoot missiles with superb road-handling from an all-time 4WD. The 991 Turbo S is ballistic. Stunning car.....

A 911 Turbo will be a great car to tick off your list.

Andyk

I drive 996 Turbo and it was so fast....Then drive a 997 and could believe how they had made it quicker.....A friend has a new 991 Turbo S in Miami blue....He took me for a ride....Words just failed me. I don't get scared with speed but he scared the **** out of me. The way it picked up speed was mind blowing. Ok he does drive in the Bristish GT championship so can throw a car around a bit. People say they haven't got 'soul' .... Anyone who isn't moved by the Turbo hasn't got petrol in their gains.

Sort of get what you say about the Cayman....but question....What about the GT4.....Regarded as a great drivers car....Never been in one but has a certain appeal....OK you'll need 80k for used one.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
GT4 is an epic car, we’ve had one in, didn’t disappoint. A 2013 Cayman S is also a great car.

Andyk

Saw you had one Dicky...they look very purposeful.....If you bought new as well you wouldn't have lost a penny. The GTS is highly regarded as well and a car that bridges the gap between the S and GT4 I understand.

azapa

I would love a Cayman S for a 'second' car to go a to b, when the stradale is too much show and tension. It seems a great proposition, manual, about 2007,8,9 ish. Pretty cheap, even here.

Imho not a replacement. A compliment.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Seats moving slowly forward is so true, also of the coupe too.
It certainly is annoying for those waiting, don't think you can push it too to speed it up, never tried!

murph7355

Excellent update and just about summarises my thought process, I don't need 4 seats so AM Vantage or if man maths don't work Cayman S
Make the maths work :) A Vantage is in a different league in most respects that matter away from a track.

Cayman isn't for me. I have a Caterham for pure driving thrills and that snug feeling. Chances are it'll be a 911 (if I can find one sensibly priced) but non-turbo. The roads where I live would mean a turbo isn't that much quicker point to point IMO. And I don't want to get frustrated with not being able to let it off the leash.

The sensible choice would be to swap the RS4 for the later model. But am not sure that works for me right now... The B7 I have is a quality driver's car and ferociously quick on these roads.

Choices choices. Left field suggestions welcomed. 3-4 seats needed as I already have 2x 2 seaters. Not too heavy and not too big. Must look and sound great otherwise the RS4 will get default use.

Thanks for all the comments btw.

(Andy - what's happened to your avatar?)

murph7355

If they are the only 3 reasons you got rid of it or the only criticism then you are really being pedantic lol!!!

Doors too long yes agreed but slow seats! Push them at the same time! And the low front is a little issue but even worse if lowered.

Hope you enjoy whatever you get next!
Combined they meant I put the least miles on the GT than I've put on any of my cars.

This wasn't a conscious decision (I don't care about mileage), it's just the instinctive way of things.

By comparison, the Vantage was used at least half of the time I drove, simply because it was that much easier to jump in and go.

None of which is a pure reflection on the car. More my mode of use not panning out as I expected :)

I drive 996 Turbo and it was so fast....Then drive a 997 and could believe how they had made it quicker.....A friend has a new 991 Turbo S in Miami blue....He took me for a ride....Words just failed me. I don't get scared with speed but he scared the **** out of me. The way it picked up speed was mind blowing. Ok he does drive in the Bristish GT championship so can throw a car around a bit. People say they haven't got 'soul' .... Anyone who isn't moved by the Turbo hasn't got petrol in their gains.

Sort of get what you say about the Cayman....but question....What about the GT4.....Regarded as a great drivers car....Never been in one but has a certain appeal....OK you'll need 80k for used one.

The GT4 is a very nice car - but it's an expensive Cayman and at the end of the day, its got a Carrera engine, not Mezger. It plays second fiddle to the GT3 in 996 and 997 form with the Mezger engine. Iconic, appreciating and very high demand. But GT4 ain't a bad car. Just cannot see myself ever buying a Cayman for £80k! I'm not a GT3 enthusiast bit know plenty who are - its a high maintenance car and appeals to a certain type. Both the GT3 and GT4 are good track cars with practicality of being able to be used as road cars. People literally drive them to Oulton Park or Donnington, track them and then drive home!

The Turbo S in 991 is frighteningly fast!

But Porsche is a very different driving experience to a Maserati.I like them both for their own reasons.

Agree with Richard's comment about a Cayman S. If I was into a Cayman, thats the one I'd get or a Cayman GTS.
The 997 GTS is also a superb car - but expect to pay bottom-end prices around £65k (or around £70k for upper end prices) for a good one.