noise in the left front suspension (LHD)

Robbe

you mean the subframe itself? Haven't tried that. (but it being loose would not be very safe !)

joeley

Sorry, no picture. I can not explain anymore. I do not speak English. Google Translate...

Robbe

Finally found the time (other cars in even worse condition :) ) to visit the garage, and they checked everything and could not find a fault.
As I already had exchanged the LHS drop link for a new one, and the lhs one which looked and felt ok, installed on the RHS, I was pretty sure they did not make the sound.
But the mechanic was not so sure, and suggested to remove the ARB completely and tape the droplinks to the wishbone. And so we did.
A little test drive later, without the cluncking sound, it is clear the problem is the droplinks.
My mechanic thought that the connecting point to the lower wishbone was a bit strange: only one small washer between the droplink and the wishbone, no distance tube or so.
Is that correct? I could not find anything being wrong with it when compared to the workshop manual...

conaero

Forum Owner
Maybe the bolt is worn?

Noise from the front suspension can usually be found that the lower shock rubber bush is worn or dry, try dribbling some oil in there.

davy83

What he said

The drop links can some times get stiff, and you get a noise when it has to move.

Maybe the bolt is worn?

Noise from the front suspension can usually be found that the lower shock rubber bush is worn or dry, try dribbling some oil in there.

Razz

Hi
As far as I know the drop links are unique to left and right, they are not interchangeable. So this might be the issue.
Have you checked the roll bar bushes?
Best

Robbe

As far as I know the partnumber is the same for both left and right, so I assume they are interchangeable.
As I will be ordering a new one for the rh (silent) side, I will be able to compare two next to each other for minor differences.
The bolt is in good condition, no worn spots or rust I remember.
But I will oil it.
According to the partsdiagram , and also the works manual, there should be no washer between the link and the wishbone, but mine had a small washer.
Could that be a cause? My mechanic thinks that there should even be more than one washer, or even a distance washer.
The parts diagram does show a bushing, but afaik that should go into the shock, and not function as a distance washer.

I did check the ARB bushes, and they are flexible and not overly dry or torn, so I assume they are good. Should I oil them as well? Or does the ARB need the friction?

conaero

Forum Owner
3200 are the same on both sides, 4200 are handed and different parts and do not interchange.

Robbe

Hmmm, looking at the parts diagram again, it looks like there is a seperati bush that does not go into the wishbone, nr 6 in the picture.
On my car the drop link sits flush onto the wishbone side (with one washer that I do not see in the diagram...)
Does anybody have a picture of a factory situation of the droplink? Might be that mine has been altered at some point?
004_055.jpg

conaero

Forum Owner
I have a pair of 3200 wishbones at home in the shed, Ill have a look and take a pic for you tomorrow.

SteveM

I have a photo I believe at home - I am pretty confident that part 6 is just a sleeve that goes into wishbone and buts up against shock bottom bush. I really cant recall there is a washer between bolt head and drop link

Robbe

Thanks so far to all.
I think that with an extra outside bushing (when it would not go into the wishbone) the position of the droplink would alter that much, that the poor thing is under a lot of stress all the time, so I guess you are right that it is a flush fit on the wishbone (with or without washer).
But why does it still make the same knocking sound on the LHS with the new droplink on the LHS then, and not with the complete ARB and drop links removed out of the system??? a mysterie...