Electric Issues after Battery Replacement

TheStig71

Greetings all,

Firstly I would like to say hello, I have a 63 plate GTS that I have had for nearly 18 months. I love this car and on my third attempt to purchase one I got the exact car I wanted.

This was a DD for nearly a year and after changing jobs I got a new DD and have this as my second car. I, unfortunately, let the battery run down over winter and have just replaced it with a Bosch (I see recommended on this site). However, I have run into a bit of an issue and after searching through google and this forum I cannot seem to find my exact issue. I was so desperate I even read the manual!

The alarm enables and disables itself, I can open the trunk on the key fob too (I have tried both keys I have) however, I get no electrics (as such) to the car itself. I cannot open the doors on the electric button, the seats do not move at all either. The only thing I get on the dash is the odometer reading, and that the EPB is ON plus the red P and ! in the Rev Counter when I open the door.

Put the key in and turn and I get no other lights (dash) at all on the car. I can hear noises behind the glove box and dash itself for a short while and then all goes quiet/stops. I also have to use the little button behind the key housing to release the key.

Its almost like there is an isolator/reset switch or something that needs to be activated. I have checked the cables at the battery terminals and I have checked all the fuses in the boot.

So short of having to get it collected and sent to the garage I am not sure what else to try so am hoping that some members here may have some other options for me to try.

Dean

Last edited:

TheStig71

A quick update to the above

This morning when I checked the car, the doors opened on the electric button. I stuck the key key in and did the first turn and I got all the lights up on the dash and the EPB failure light came on (was expecting this anyway) The radio came on to. I Went to start teh car and 'click' everything dead again and back to square one.

I left for a few hours and went back to the car and its still the same as yesterday. I went to take the negative lead off the battery and the Alarm wnet off and I could not turn it off from the key fob so its all back and tightened up.

The hazards light work, and when I press them I can hear stuff going on behind the dash as well for 30 secs or so, Same as if I open the drivers door then I can hear stuff going on behind the dash, the petrol release cap works also.

Thanks again all.

CatmanV2

Hmmm, odd one.

As unlikely as it may be, I wonder if you have a duff battery, but leave that for now.

You've checked the fuses in the boot. What about the ones under the steering wheel, and the ones under the bonnet?
F06 under the bonnet is the ignition switch
F11 powers the main relay

If those come up good.
1) Make sure the battery is fully charged. Disarm the alarm. Disconnect it and give it either a good session on a c-tek or a trickle charger.
2) Reconnect the battery and disarm the alarm (which *should* be going off!)
3) Follow Voicey's advice
http://www.sportsmaserati.com/showthread.php/25916-GS-Non-Start?p=620346&viewfull=1#post620346

If of course you can start the engine.

If that doesn't work, I'd be calling an auto electrician. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

C

CatmanV2

Just noticed you're not that far from me. I can't promise I can help but I'm more than happy to try and have a look at ti for you.

C

TheStig71

Hi Catman, thanks for the info, i'll take another stab at it with the info you gave. If I struggle i'll give you a shout to see if you still fancy coming over (probably next weekend if you're about). Would be great to meet another member ;o)

Thanks Again

Dean

CatmanV2

Hi Catman, thanks for the info, i'll take another stab at it with the info you gave. If I struggle i'll give you a shout to see if you still fancy coming over (probably next weekend if you're about). Would be great to meet another member ;o)

Thanks Again

Dean

No worries, Dean. Next weekend Mrs Catman is busy so likely I can throw some tools into the GT and pootle over. Got a think in the evening, but if I can't fix it in an hour, I'm unlikely to be able to fix it :D

C

TheStig71

So after another fun afternoon trying to see whats wrong and going over everything again. I finally found the issue, more out of desperation than anything else I think. I won't go into everything I did but can tell you it was a 'weird' issue with one of the fuses that is attached to the positive terminal of the battery. As per the below picture, I started pressing on the the fuses quite hard(as I say was getting desperate), when I got to the big black one that has 'CAL2' on it I got a lot of clicking (I could feel it under my finger too) then I could here beeping from inside the car and then the radio. Through the back window I could see life on the dash too.

IMG_3177.jpg

I have taken it out for a bit of a test run, a quick clean and some fresh fuel and as far as I can tell we are all good. I missed this thing sooooo much and cannot wait to get out tomorrow for a spin if the weather holds good.

Thanks very much to Catman for his advice and offer of help.

Happy Motoring all

Dean

conaero

Forum Owner
Hum another GTS with a power issue. My Strad has something intermittent lurking that I want to sort out.

It may just be the battery on its way out but I will be checking these fuses too.

My issue (gear unavailable and park off) happens occasionally and always after a restart. It starts from cold after weeks of no use no problem but if you then turn it off leave for 5 mins then restart occasionally you get this and turning the key t start does nothing as it thinks it’s in gear so permission to start is denied. A simple up into first and back to neutral fixes it. Then this whole saga is topped off with the EPB occasionally not releasing of at least dragging.

The error being stored is actuator pots error which Voicey says is cc oil contamination giving a position error.

Normally I wouldn’t quiz Voicey’s advice but I feel that this could be a power issue...or lack of it.

PARK OFF error (that comes up with the pots error) is a classic power issue.

I am going to change the battery first and go from there as it feels to me that the initial restart ant turning off within a minute or do is killing the battery and a restart takes another big chunk of amps so some electrical system initialisation gets chopped.