Looking for a GranCabrio

Agm7

Hi new to forum! Wondering if I could get some advice about the grancabrio as I am new to Maserati.

Budgeting around 65k, looking at post facelift 2013 models.
I was looking for a grand tourer convertible car which feels special and couldn't think of anything that would come close to the sense of occasion the GC would bring at my budget. The engine note with the looks alone seem to be enough to convince me (the neighbours may not approve though!)

Is there anything options wise that I should definitely be wanting/needing in terms of future resale?
From reading about the GT/GC generally the engine etc is very robust so any mechanical things to look out for?
I am completely aware over the lack of boot space the GC offers but this isnt a problem for me.

Visited a dealership recently where I was told that there is no official used car warranty available and the cars would come with 1 year RAC preimum warranty. The salesman was adament this warranty is as good as a used car manufacturers warranty. Wondering if anyone could shed any light on this?

Ive gone to see this car:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803024201112?atmobcid=soc3

I appreciate the tan interior can be hit and miss for some but I quite like it.

This car seems appealing as well but doesnt have the part carbon fibre interior pack which I personally like the look of:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712031777746?atmobcid=soc3

Having only recently been following the prices of these cars, they seem great value for money and hold their value well as second hand cars.

The salesman did say production of GC stopped 19th March and he personally believes they will appreciate in value (I personally do not buy that!).

As both of the cars are low milage, is that a recipe for future continuous problems as they havent really been driven? Or am I being paranoid about this?

Seeing as the cars are from Maserati dealerships is it still worthwhile doing an independent inspection?

Sorry, I know I have rambled on a lot and asked a lot of questions! I would thoroughly appreciate any help I could get to aide my first purchase and join the many maserati owners on this great forum!

sionie1

Standard advice on here would be to talk to Richard Grace who is in Chester. He has sourced a number of cars for forum members and is highly thought of, as well as very knowledgable and helpful. I'm on my 2nd GC, GREAT car, always had the after market warranty, although I think there is a preferred aftermarket supplier amongst the members, I just forget who. (whilst I didn't buy it from Richard he did put me onto it) They do suffer from scuttle shake at speed. I notice one of the dealers is HR OWEN in Manchester - I've dealt with them and only have good things to say about them, however you do have a choice of indies for servicing and a check over. Big garages have a reputation to protect however there have been some horror stories about main dealers. Low mileage and a few years old you may see battery issues, usually highlighted by electrical gremlins and flashing warning lights, I was told by the last dealer when I traded in that my previous one at 30k miles was a very high mileage car for a 2010 plate.....Not sure about holding their prices, the 1st one depreciated like a stone, and I'd think any resale depends on spec and colour and mileage.I'd say buy the one you want... where abouts are you based?

azapa

Get used to some crazy interior colours, those wacky Italians even make red look good in there. The tan looks really nice IMHO. You should find a nice car for your budget, and yes, they do look and sound great. Enjoy the search (it's part of the fun).

Agm7

Standard advice on here would be to talk to Richard Grace who is in Chester. He has sourced a number of cars for forum members and is highly thought of, as well as very knowledgable and helpful. I’m on my 2nd GC, GREAT car, always had the after market warranty, although I think there is a preferred aftermarket supplier amongst the members, I just forget who. (whilst I didn’t buy it from Richard he did put me onto it) They do suffer from scuttle shake at speed. I notice one of the dealers is HR OWEN in Manchester - I’ve dealt with them and only have good things to say about them, however you do have a choice of indies for servicing and a check over. Big garages have a reputation to protect however there have been some horror stories about main dealers. Low mileage and a few years old you may see battery issues, usually highlighted by electrical gremlins and flashing warning lights, I was told by the last dealer when I traded in that my previous one at 30k miles was a very high mileage car for a 2010 plate.....Not sure about holding their prices, the 1st one depreciated like a stone, and I’d think any resale depends on spec and colour and mileage.I’d say buy the one you want... where abouts are you based?

Thank you for the prompt reply and the very useful information provided. When I get a chance I will try to get in contact with Richard, always makes the process easier when there is a reputable individual involved.

I am based in Manchester, which allowed me to drop by and have a look at the car at H R Owen. So ideally it would be easier to buy from a dealer close to home! Glad to hear you had a good experience but I see youre based in North Wales?

I guess the battery issues is to be expected but should settle with use.

I am just basing the pricing comment on AT as the cheapest car is 2010 model at £43k and thats with 45k miles. Slightly surprised that 30k is seen as a lot of miles. These cars are here to be driven!

Obviously as with anyone, you would like to limit depreciation as much as you can but cars are generally depreciating assets. New cars take a huge hit but after a few years prices seem fairly stable but you would know better than me.

Im not one to buy something for the next owner, but at the same time you have to be sensible. I am likely to do approx 6000 miles a year so nothing too extreme.

Azapa - your White stradale would definitely suit a wacky red interior! The search is part of the fun but its a very big test of a persons patience!

O37

"I was looking for a grand tourer convertible car which feels special and couldn't think of anything that would come close to the sense of occasion the GC would bring at my budget."

Totally agree and after 19 months ownership I still feel the same as the day I bought it.

Quick plot of face lift values shows they are holding their value well, like any exotic car mileage will be the key metric, as sionie1 highlighted, 30K may be a considered an higher mileage example for a 6 /8 year GranCabrio but to be honest you really can use use this car so I'd expect at least 3k / year, otherwise you spend too much time just looking at it!

maserati_facelift.jpg

"Is there anything options wise that I should definitely be wanting/needing in terms of future resale?"

As stated be careful on the colour combination. Carbon fibre options such as the front splitter, rear diffuser and around the exhausts may add some resale value, but these were ridiculously expensive options at the factory so not many around. Also Neptunes or Trident alloys are sort after along with the Grancab car cover! Mine is white and black with a carbon rear diffuser makes it look sharp (not subtle) in my eyes and a more modern looking supercar, especially when combined with black Neptune alloys with black calipars.

From reading about the GT/GC generally the engine etc is very robust so any mechanical things to look out for?

None with the later 4.7 engine itself, maybe impending auxiliary component issues with regards the air con. Non-engine related I'd check carefully for wheel bearing noise (£800 ea) due to owners pressure washing their pride and joy and sticking it straight back in the garage, also suspension noise, it is a heavy car and grinding from the rear electronic brake shoes.

Definitely buy a trickle charger to avoid both dash Christmas tree light up and obligatory battery reset when not in use.

I am completely aware over the lack of boot space the GC offers but this isnt a problem for me.

Agree, the boot is small but in my view not a deal breaker as some others insist, always travel light and fast(er)!

Visited a dealership recently where I was told that there is no official used car warranty available and the cars would come with 1 year RAC preimum warranty. The salesman was adament this warranty is as good as a used car manufacturers warranty. Wondering if anyone could shed any light on this?

Hmmm - Meridien Modena offered me a (engine based) main dealer warranty when my car hit 5 years so a little surprised this is not the norm. It was under main dealer warranty when purchased thou.

As both of the cars are low milage, is that a recipe for future continuous problems as they havent really been driven? Or am I being paranoid about this?

You're being paranoid :) , which isn't a bad thing with anything Italian!

Seeing as the cars are from Maserati dealerships is it still worthwhile doing an independent inspection?

I'd hope the Maserati dealer will provide a warranty which should flush out immediate failings.

Sorry, I know I have rambled on a lot and asked a lot of questions! I would thoroughly appreciate any help I could get to aide my first purchase and join the many maserati owners on this great forum!

No problem, in a nutshell you won't regret it, but we do need some sunshine to enjoy fully!

Attachments

• maserati_facelift.jpg
    maserati_facelift.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 152

Ewan

Given the relatively young age and high price of the cars you are looking at, buying from an official Maserati main dealer makes sense, with all the extra back up, checks, warranty and peace of mind that entails. Though of course, a chat with Dickie G is a good idea, as he may well know of a suitable car.

Of the two you list, the first one would be my choice. Loving the baseball glove style leather.

Looking forward, you've nothing in particular to worry about. They were produced in very limited numbers and there's nothing in the pipeline to replace it, so it's second hand value is likely to hold up reasonably well.

O37

I am just basing the pricing comment on AT as the cheapest car is 2010 model at £43k and thats with 45k miles. Slightly surprised that 30k is seen as a lot of miles. These cars are here to be driven!

Just to highlight the SPORT variant only became available from MY 2012, which should command a premium due to significant improvements regards handling / braking / bracing, engine output raised to 450hp - these carried over into the facelift models (with new front LED lights, seats /steering wheel/ +10hp), which unless I'm mistaken should all be SPORT variants

If in doubt check for clear front indicators for UK models.

Rwc13

I'm on my first GranCabrio after having had a number of GTs. I would simply say DO IT. They are fantastic and, I think, a bit of a hidden gem in Maserati's current line-up. They seem to be talked about relatively little on here and other forums, but this is probably only due to the limited production numbers and therefore smaller group of member owners. And they do seem to hold their value better than the GTs for the same reasons.

I would also say they suffer from very little scuttle shake - can't say I ever really notice it - and IMHO there is no better sounding four seat convertible.

I have nothing to add to the answers already given by others to your questions, but I agree regarding the luggage space. It looks small, but in fact using soft bags and care you can get a lot more in than you might think. And you've always got the back seat(s) if not traveling four up.

Being Manchester based, I have been getting to know HR Owen Manchester over the last 12 months or so. I bough my GC from them last November. Mark, the dealer principal, is a terrific guy as are Dean and David, the two sales guys I know.

And as you are in Manchester, you have the option of Autoshield in Chorlton as a very well respected independent to look after ongoing maintenance needs.

Ewan

A friend of mine had an early version when they first came out, then upgraded to the Sport version in due course. He was surprised and delighted with the improvements to the later car, so definitely be sure to get the latest you can. Way better to spend (say) £60k and be delighted than (say) £50k and be slightly disappointed.

zagatoes30

I agree the GC is a real hidden gem, and certainly what I would be buying if I had the spare cash. My problem is I could probably stretch to an early model but the Sport version (£60k plus) is so much better in every way and unfortunately I can't stretch to that at the moment.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Thanks for the recommendations gents. I don’t have any I know of at the minute; know a fair bit about them as I’ve supplied 3 to clients. I’d suggest another possibility too; Auto Logix are a proper outfit, ex Graypaul, they’ve a 2016 car on at same money.

Andyk

A friend of mine had an early version when they first came out, then upgraded to the Sport version in due course. He was surprised and delighted with the improvements to the later car, so definitely be sure to get the latest you can. Way better to spend (say) £60k and be delighted than (say) £50k and be slightly disappointed.

This, the later Sport is the car the GC should have always been....Face lift and Non facelift sport both a good step on from the normal GC.

Agm7

"I was looking for a grand tourer convertible car which feels special and couldn't think of anything that would come close to the sense of occasion the GC would bring at my budget."

Totally agree and after 19 months ownership I still feel the same as the day I bought it.

Quick plot of face lift values shows they are holding their value well, like any exotic car mileage will be the key metric, as sionie1 highlighted, 30K may be a considered an higher mileage example for a 6 /8 year GranCabrio but to be honest you really can use use this car so I'd expect at least 3k / year, otherwise you spend too much time just looking at it!

View attachment 48246

"Is there anything options wise that I should definitely be wanting/needing in terms of future resale?"

As stated be careful on the colour combination. Carbon fibre options such as the front splitter, rear diffuser and around the exhausts may add some resale value, but these were ridiculously expensive options at the factory so not many around. Also Neptunes or Trident alloys are sort after along with the Grancab car cover! Mine is white and black with a carbon rear diffuser makes it look sharp (not subtle) in my eyes and a more modern looking supercar, especially when combined with black Neptune alloys with black calipars.

None with the later 4.7 engine itself, maybe impending auxiliary component issues with regards the air con. Non-engine related I'd check carefully for wheel bearing noise (£800 ea) due to owners pressure washing their pride and joy and sticking it straight back in the garage, also suspension noise, it is a heavy car and grinding from the rear electronic brake shoes.

Definitely buy a trickle charger to avoid both dash Christmas tree light up and obligatory battery reset when not in use.

Agree, the boot is small but in my view not a deal breaker as some others insist, always travel light and fast(er)!

Hmmm - Meridien Modena offered me a (engine based) main dealer warranty when my car hit 5 years so a little surprised this is not the norm. It was under main dealer warranty when purchased thou.

You're being paranoid :) , which isn't a bad thing with anything Italian!

I'd hope the Maserati dealer will provide a warranty which should flush out immediate failings.

No problem, in a nutshell you won't regret it, but we do need some sunshine to enjoy fully!

Thank you very much for your in depth reply! I am glad you're still enjoying the car after a while and I hope to be able to share a similar experience to you.

It definitely does look like the facelift is doing well in the second hand market and as Ewan mentioned nothing on the horizon for a replacement, low numbers and even if a replacement came along it could not match the theatre this engine produces. Ultimately the comparable (but not so comparable cars) M4 cab, c63 cab etc for the same value would drop a lot more in value. So the GCs (reduced) depreciation is just a side bonus.

Regarding the options it was the more so the "must haves", I would love to have the full carbon pack with the seat backings etc as the example at geneva motorshow had but that would be impossible to find. Alloys/carbon parts could always be added on later.

If the possible problematic things to look out for occurred in the first few months of ownership I would assume/hope the dealer may cover this? But it will be something I will keep in mind on the test drives.

In terms of the warranty I was told that there is no approved used programme for maserati so no manufacturer based warranty, so being an Italian car did make me a bit wary. Wonder if it would be worth contacting meridan in the future for a similar warranty you have. There seems to be good indies around in Manchester anyway, such as autoshield as mentioned.

I am definitely only interested in a GC sport model and I prefer the looks of the facelifted model even vs the recent refresh. I appreciate this gives me an even smaller pool of cars to look at but you have to buy the car you want and not rush a decision! Very much more inclined towards the car at H R Owen - seems like people have had a good experience there. I like the slight unique colour of the tan interior and the bonus of it would be less wear vs cream etc. I feel black, even though it is the safer option just darkens the interior too much.

Thank you again to everyone for your responses, cannot emphasis how helpful everyone has been. Just need to find more time to go car hunting and seal the deal! Work has been very busy but hoping to find something over the next month or so.

outrun

There is a white Grancabrio MC for sale which really is a special car. It’s a little more money but there’s probably a deal that can bring it into range. I’d suggest trying that out as the extra aggression and race mode make something great into something really fantastic. Lower volume production should also keep its value up.

AaronE

note that you must get the sport model for 2013+, otherwise you get a repackaged 2010-2012.

O37

note that you must get the sport model for 2013+, otherwise you get a repackaged 2010-2012.

Don't believe I've seen a facelift that isn't a sport variant.

To avoid confusion I'd add that the non-facelift is a true sport variant, actually from a 61plate (Sept 2011), it provides the same mechanicals to the end of range model, such as larger front discs 360mm drilled and slotted with larger calipers, uprated underside /engine bracing (similar to MC Cab), MCshift auto gear shift times updated/improved,(ie blip on downshifts), uprated (faster acting) sports skyhook suspension, sports exhaust, the only change(s) (apart from trim and bodywork year changes) is the engine increase to 460hp (on MY2013) instead of 450hp(MY2012). The standard auto 440hp(MY2010).

All sports will have black anodised exhausts, clear indicators and a sport badge on the glove box, with front winglets on a MY2012. But of course the facelift MY2013 has a new bumper, LED headlights (deleted front fogs), steering wheel and new seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwSZHdgWOD4

Andyk

The non face lift Sport is a decent car so don't dismiss.....When they made the sport it transformed the car facelift or non face lift.

And another lovely video of a non facelift car. I don't think there is that much difference mechanically between this and the face lift is there ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IlhrCms4JEQ

AaronE

Don't believe I've seen a facelift that isn't a sport variant.

that's because they don't exist. that's exactly what I meant. 2013-17 non-sport models are recycled old pre-facelift cars. old seats, bumpers, lights, etc etc etc

CLRut

Andyk

Why are most of the MC Stradale versions in White or black. It's like the Coupe Stradale....No one was extravagant on colours when they bought new.