passenger side wind noise on GT-S

vnitos

Has some wind noise on the passenger (front) side of the car. Maserati dealer said they tried everything, except replacing the door rubber, but they cannot resolve it. They resorted to blaming the frameless doors, though, the driver's side does not have that wind noise.

Is it normal for these cars or not - any one have an idea what one can do to resolve this

GeoffCapes

My drivers side does this, but only over 130mph. I think it may be one of the holes the door rubbers are fixed in. So I might put a bit of silicone in them to see if it makes a difference.

azapa

I have a lot of wind noise that appears to come from the rear right of my car, above 130mph as mentioned above, so little time to troubleshoot when it's actually happening. Almost feels like the boot spoiler, boot seal or something else in rear 1/4 panel. Quite annoying.

bigbob

Has some wind noise on the passenger (front) side of the car. Maserati dealer said they tried everything, except replacing the door rubber, but they cannot resolve it. They resorted to blaming the frameless doors, though, the driver's side does not have that wind noise.

Is it normal for these cars or not - any one have an idea what one can do to resolve this

Fold in the mirrors and see if it goes away. If so then it is the seal in the mirror (my car had this) and if not then I am afraid I cannot help.

Scaf

Seriously take a look at the door catch - mine had a little plastic cover that had failed. Replaced it and the wind noise was gone. I did post a thread on hear but photobucket took the pics down - I will see if I can find them and post them up.

Old part - hard to see but that plastic sleeve is cracked so door is not quite shut

https://flic.kr/p/232UPkG

New part - no plastic sleeve to split
https://flic.kr/p/232UZqS

Part was really simple to replace - even I did it in less that 10 mins and it was not expensive either

Just found the original thread with pics -
http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/showthread.php/20986-Wind-noise-2010-GTS

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Seriously take a look at the door catch - mine had a little plastic cover that had failed. Replaced it and the wind noise was gone. I did post a thread on hear but photobucket took the pics down - I will see if I can find them and post them up.

Yes, it's a common wear point. They start to wear at around 30k miles, Not sure how easy they are to replace, but I believe fairly quick and easy.

vnitos

Thanks so much - had a peak at the door catches and voila! both are worn, left / passenger side more worn than driver side. Will contact dealer tomorrow - here in sunny South Africa we don't have much choice for parts as the market is too small for independents to make a living on Maserati services and repairs.

Scaf

I am sure someone could post a pair out to you for the price of a pint - so don’t get ripped off!

Triggerfish

First thing I noticed when I test drove my car was the wind noise from the drivers window compared with my other cars.
I assumed this was just another example of the Maseratis 'character'
Maybe it can't be cured

vnitos

First thing I noticed when I test drove my car was the wind noise from the drivers window compared with my other cars.
Maybe it can't be cured

Dealer told me that it is due to the frameless doors; however, they could not explain why there is a difference between the driver and passenger sides.

Scaf

Mine also use to let in a tiny bit of water whe I jetwashed it - but not now ....

sofasurfer

Mine has quite a bit of wind noise at motorway speeds from the rear passenger side. It's quite noticeable and not due to the door striker as I replaced both of mine last year with the new versions. They are simple to replace, all you need is a torx key set such as this
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d02...1vfKMswUUUxsni4Yf6cnZexJClWXynORoC4mUQAvD_BwE

The most difficult part is making sure it goes back into the correct position and the door shuts properly. Thankfully you can hear a good close as it doesn't catch and also there's a nice crease on the GT that you can align the door with.

I'm sure mine comes from the glass fitment in the rear and Emblem suggested taping the window up around the seal and then driving at speed and seeing if it made a difference. I haven't got around to doing that but it's worth a shot

bigbob

Maybe it can't be cured

No wind noise on mine so go and get it fixed if it bothers you.

montravia

Neither mine. Any dealer who states that it's because it's frameless needs to be reminded that these machines are designed and built to exceed 150mph

bigbob

I had a 3 series coupe with frameless doors a quarter of a century ago. It's hardly new tech.

Contigo

Sponsor
The problem is actually related to the door catch, open the door and take a look at the metal latch I bet it is rusted and what happens is air gets in around here.

Check it and let me know.

AaronE

posted in your USA thread too, but you can adjust the window regulator forward and back to align the glass too. makes a big difference.

vnitos

Got a price from dealer who has some in stock - price is about EURO48 per side. Will pick it up on Monday as I am out of town from tomorrow.

Ryandoc

I do t have any noise but have read this and I have the door strikers with perished plastic shroud so ordered some replacements from Meridian today. Should have them by Saturday