Need Help Batteries Key Phobe

Scaf

This might sound a bit “redneck” but you take the chip out of the 2nd key and attach it to the ignition barrel - then both keys would work? Technically it reduces the security, but in reality it won’t make any difference.

Silly / stupid idea or pure genius?

CatmanV2

This might sound a bit “redneck” but you take the chip out of the 2nd key and attach it to the ignition barrel - then both keys would work? Technically it reduces the security, but in reality it won’t make any difference.

Silly / stupid idea or pure genius?

Stupid :) It'll drop off and vanish :D

C

petronic

Come on Tech boys we must be able to read the chip. It must be numerical hence programme a "petchip" Ok if we can solve Discs abd source other parts. Why not this as only a digital issue. As stated could cost hundreds but if that is the case this problem must be solvable. You can re chip a per why not ours

CatmanV2

Because, the whole point of having the chip in the car is to make it *hard* to copy and read. The point of having a chip in a pet is to make it *easy*

Like I suggested, take your working key to Timpsons, As the technology gets older, they may be able to read the key and copy one. They did this with Mrs Catman's old GTV that uses very similar generation tech.

But I wouldn't hold your breath.

C

petronic

Yep understood thought this may have been a company that might deal with key code not just a key cutter.

Zep

Timpsons can clone immo chips in some cars, they have done a couple of VW ones for me. That's why C suggested them.

hashluck

So just checking. If I have a key that starts the car OK but on which neither button (the door unlock and remote boot release) is working then most likely I have a key battery issues (or less likely both microswitches are knackered)? That is, the immobiliser transponder thingy works all the time irrespective of key battery? Easy enough to test by removing the battery but even easier to ask here when not with the car :)

Wanderer

Everyone has thrown away a transponder chip by accident at some time in their lives. It’s inevitable....

masertel

Not really a **** system, more **** glue. I don't think you can get the chip cloned, but it might be worth asking someone like Timpsons

C

Hi

I bought an 2003 Spyder last year that came with only 1 key and Timpsons were able to cut and clone the transponder chip in the new key. It has worked fine ever since and was not that expensive at around £60 ish from memory. It took about 45 minutes to do and the car with the working key needs to be near the shop as there is a bit of programming at the car and in the shop.

The only downside is the key they supply has no opening or closing function and cannot set the alarm. This should not be a big issue as the key with the transponder missing could be attached to the new key ring to work the alarm etc.

Hope this helps and all gets sorted!!

TerryTimpsons Cut and Chipped Maser 4200 key.jpg