Exhaust Help - 4.2 GT Newbie

madmover

Afternoon, I've just bought a 4.2 GT which I absolutely love. However, I really want it to be a bit more vocal. Is it an easy install (for a decent garage) to fit 4.7 backboxes to the 4.2 and wire the valves to a button inside? With the valves open, does it open the back box completely straight through?

Alternatively, has anyone got a Tubi or similar that they want to sell?

Thanks in advance

Andy

namaste

Catman has done this I believe so he'll be able to explain more. The valves are vacuum operated and its better off using a remote relay to control a vacuum valve in the engine bay rather than trying to put a button inside the cabin. I have a guide in my sig for doing this on the cheap. Alternatively you can buy ready made remote relay kits, but they're about £300 I think. The valved boxes are very expensive though.

Ralph_Manders

Since our cars already have a vacuum resevoir it is relatively simple to install a vacuum operated system with a remote (easy) or button (drilling and pulling wires). Make shure to have valves that are “open†if not activated, so you do not run the risk of burning up your cats in case the valves get stuck or the vacuum is list due to a leak. The more expensive controllers (larini) link in to the ECU and automatically open the valves at higher revs to avoid this risk. For exhaust you can get the usual suspects e.g larini, capristo, tubi etc. Or gut your oem boxes or have a bespoke system made by a exhaust firm. In another thread you can see a magnaflow muffler with bypass the sounds like a ferrari on steroids! So it all depends on cash, taste, creativity etc. For just more sound, get an x-pipe (bit more) or sport cats ( way more) and according to the US forum if you have a DS, just gut your primary cats. Good luck!

CatmanV2

Yep totally possible. Dead easy on the exhaust part and less than an hour to fit the FD controller kit (although it's best to get the vacuum hoses run at the same time as they put the boxes on.

C

madmover

Interesting, thanks folks. Just searched for the magnaflow thread but can’t find it. The sound of a Ferrari on Steroids appeals!

fatal8446

Andy,

where are you chap, im in somerset and i have just done the Xpipe and Switchable back boxes (second hand from a member on here). wired in a relay controlled vacuum valve and i gotta say.........

wow

just wow

if you are in the southwest of the uk id be happy to meet up and show you the result.

al