DS steep hill

Wanderer

Car did an odd thing today, led a merry dance around Sheffield city centre today, burst water main, ended up in a queue on a steep hill, not far off a one in two, about 2/3 mins slowly moving not stopping till got to front at top and stopped to turn left, car in manual first gear and as I turned a felt something (nothing major) glanced at the panel and it had gone into D, auto mode.

Switched back to manual and all seems ok but any ideas what happened? Did it sense something and ‘take over'?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azapa

Car did an odd thing today, led a merry dance around Sheffield city centre today, burst water main, ended up in a queue on a steep hill, not far off a one in two, about 2/3 mins slowly moving not stopping till got to front at top and stopped to turn left, car in manual first gear and as I turned a felt something (nothing major) glanced at the panel and it had gone into D, auto mode.

Switched back to manual and all seems ok but any ideas what happened? Did it sense something and ‘take over’?

I can't add much other than share the horror of the scenario: steep hill and traffic with an (antiquated) Maserati F1/DS system. SHUDDER (literally).

Maybe something heated up too much and switching in to 'auto' is some kind of overide?

Wanderer

I can't add much other than share the horror of the scenario: steep hill and traffic with an (antiquated) Maserati F1/DS system. SHUDDER (literally).

Maybe something heated up too much and switching in to 'auto' is some kind of overide?

I was ******** it! Expected the ‘transmission overheated' icon but nothing, it just carried on...

Wonder how San Francisco DS/CC owners manage?

CatmanV2

THe ZF box on the GT does all sorts of interesting things about selecting gear, not changing when the steering wheel is in a position in all it doesn't like, and selecting low gears on descending steep hills (that scared the **** out of me!)

No idea if the DS can do something similar, though.

C

Wanderer

Just driven home - all fine touch wood.

Actually the hill was more like almost one in one, Sheffield is built on seven hills like Rome, though the similarity ends there..

I'd hate to do a hill start in proper manual on that hill, you'd have to totally rev the balls off it.

TridentTested

In the very first weekend of QP ownership I joined some family who had rented a weekend cottage in the Peak District. It was on a narrow road so we had to park in the cottage car park, the only free space was tucked away in a corner that had to be reversed into, the car park was steep like a ski slope. While reversing into this space, up this shocking hill, I remembered reading you should never reverse a Duo-Select uphill. I also had no idea how good QP's handbrakes are, it was scary leaving my new possession there.

Wanderer

In the very first weekend of QP ownership I joined some family who had rented a weekend cottage in the Peak District. It was on a narrow road so we had to park in the cottage car park, the only free space was tucked away in a corner that had to be reversed into, the car park was steep like a ski slope. While reversing into this space, up this shocking hill, I remembered reading you should never reverse a Duo-Select uphill. I also had no idea how good QP's handbrakes are, it was scary leaving my new possession there.

I've read similar, but it's ok of your not feathering the accelerator and slipping the clutch, which does make sense, cos mostly you are reversing gingerly. Depends on how confident you are reversing at speed!