Air Con unit fried!

ps1

Dear all,

Hope everyone surviving the mini beast - and cars tucked up until warmer weather arrives. Unfortunately mine has to trudge through the cold these days.

Posting as i've know the air con unit on my 2005 face lift 4200 has been iffy for a few years but told until packs in best to keep going. Always made bit of a whirring racket when on but still worked. Finally packed in a couple of weeks ago - not empty and doesn't need charging. Unit burnt out apparently.

Quoted 560 for unit + 5 hrs labour + VAT, so looking at 1200 total. Just wondered if there are any less expensive ways to sort - are there any compatible cheaper units that will fit? Gather labour is standard (as usual the car has to be gutted to get to the unit!). Have been told OME number would be useful too. Is there any way of getting this?

Any advice as always greatly appreciated.

P

Zep

In my pile of many things I have this. It came out of my car and was a little grumbly at the time. The intention was to rebuild it.
fefb683659b3c005535ba61bb3b53431.jpg

The number reads 01189519.

This is the replacement I sourced

1eb697b06c70981d1bef4eb4f62cc38b.jpg

Compressor express do them for £457 inc delivery and VAT. As for the labour, there is no way round that, the exhaust manifold has to come off.