QP sadly sold/gone but had a little vibration issue I need some help with please

rockits

Well after a quick couple of days and Martin popping down this morning the QP is sold and gone. I hadn't driven it for a couple of months only being started and moved a couple of times. Also washed it yesterday in the snow which was a new experience! It all looked lovely and ready for Martin to hopefully drive it and enjoy it more than I have been able to recently.

However I drove the car on a test drove and these is a slightly vibration that isn't right. I don't recall it ever being there before and it is not horrendous but does need sorting. I agreed with Martin that he would buy/take the car but I will organise for Voicey to take a look for us to see what the issue is and we can agree how we resolve it.

It did come up with a suspension fault that it didn't do when I drove it yesterday but not sure if that is a cold issue or one off. It hasn't done this before and didn't happen again after stopping, turning off and restarting. It only came on after maybe half a mile of driving down my rickety old lane. Could be a one off or down to sitting in snow for two months. A quick diagnostic plug in I guess will see but we are less concerned about this as the car seemed to drive OK.

The main issue is a weird vibration. Initially when I drove the car and got upto 68/69/70mph on the A1 Martin could feel a vibration on his side of the tunnel. I could feel it through the wheel at this speed and less so or not at all at others speeds. Martin felt it more than I but maybe he knows about these things more than me and maybe more sensitive to feeling it. It is minor and not major but still not right and not something you would want to live with or accept if driving often.

When we returned on standing with the car in park and slightly building revs from 1k to 2k to 3k you can feel a slight vibration even at idle/standing. Not sure if it could be a worn engine mount of something maybe transmitting that vibration through to the rest of the car. I have just had the wheels fully refurbed and brand new Conti Sport Contact 6 tyres all round with new vales/balancing. Obviously the vibration was still evident with the car parked and drive disengaged so less unlikely to be wheel bearing or balancing or anything.

Martin loves the car and it is a lovely car but it is important to me someone is happy. I wouldn't want to stitch someone up with a fault and would never knowingly do this. My name and reputation is too important to me. I'm an honest bloke as you all know so would like to work this trough so both Martin and I are happy.

Any ideas or anyone had anything similar that would know what it is or could be?

D Walker

None at all - but I know you will sort it - as you are just that type of guy, as you say who would not knowingly stitch someone up.

Having seen it I know Martin will enjoy it..

Well done - don't fill the space - lol...

rockits

Thanks Dave. No plan to fill the space. The XC90 will be going next. Need to thin out a bit!

We think the vibration is possibly an engine mount issue which seems to make sense.

Interesting thing that may or may not be related if it is an engine mount issue is that it failed its MOT on worn upper wishbone bushes I believe. Not sure if one could affect the other or you have to remove, disturb or could damage engine mounts when changing the bushes. A bit coincidental and unrelated possibly. Don't remember there being a vibration before the MOT but there is one after. Who knows.

azapa

How long had the car stood? Was it literally out in the snow? I would suspect rubber items. Even tire deformation (did you check pressures?)

I know you mentioned even on idle, but as you said, could also be engine mounts, the rubber part thereof. 25 Celsius here now, bring it on down.

martininkent

hi dean,
all great got home fine very pleased with the car and impressed with gentlemanly attitude towards the cars possible issues, i have now transfered my plate on to the old girl,
that will now be on the car, so if you book it in that's the reg on the car now, thanks again and nice to meet you

rockits

It has stood for 2 months or so but been started/moved a couple of times. Was inside a polytunnnel outside for most of that only been outside outside for maybe 2-3 weeks. Always on a trickle charger & polytunnnel has dehumidifier.

Obviously snow, ice & minus temps aren't ever going to be a good thing.

Would love to be in 25 degrees....freezing here!

TridentTested

Congratulations to both of you - that sounds like a good outcome for both.

Does the vibration rise and fall with the revs?

Could it be prop shaft?

GeoffCapes

Congratulations Martin I’ll have to pop down and get a pic of two Nettuno’s together.

As for the vibration, I’d say engine mount seem like a favourite.

martininkent

ok cool mr capes, if its any help, iv been out in the car this evening, to my grandsons birthday, and i got the car to do it pulling up a short hill under load a to the golf course, and it did it really bad, or maybe dropping out a cylinder which is unbalancing the engine intermittently,? if it helps !
anyone got a owners manual they can sell me, cheers

TridentTested

or maybe dropping out a cylinder which is unbalancing the engine intermittently,?

Sounds more like an intermittent coil pack problem - relatively cheap fix if that's the case - but you should be getting a 'Go To Dealer' warning on the dash with a coil pack failure.

rockits

It makes sense it could be an engine mount but also it could be a slight miss on a coil pack or spark plug could it not? Would that not create some extra vibration out of spec? I'm guessing an engine mount is only designed to absorb so much.

If it was a miss I am guessing it would show up on Voicey's SD. Not sure when spark plugs are due for replacement in these on interval/mileage/time. Years ago spark plugs used to get replaced more often but these days the recommended intervals seem to be much much longer it seems.

martininkent

Hi mr GEOFF no its changes are smooth under load or not, and no rattles not that i can detect, i think it maybe going into voicey's , so maybe he can also tell us what the small oil leak from the engine is, it can just be seen, on the engine sump pan running back to the gearbox sump,, the suspension fault comes on the first time you make a right turn as soon as you do that up it pops,
such a nice car and in great shape,,cant let it carry on with these issues, and they never repair themselves ,

martininkent

car is booked in at high performance cars maidstone today, just for a look and diagnose the vibration and the fault light on the suspension,

martininkent

hello Mr capes
yes he told dean said he could look at it but he was very busy, so i managed to booked it next day with the ferrari centre or kent high performance trading as both, many large units big place

www.theferraricentre.com

im in no way connected or promoting any one with biased.

well i have been in the motor trade for over 35 years and had my own workshop for 3 years and worked for mercedes and volvo for 20 years blah blah,

but i say it how it is, these guys Matt and the boss himself Roger were so friendly and professional they worked on and under and taking things off and running sd3 and leonardo and the hydrocarbon tester etc etc 2 techs on it,they were on the car over 2 hrs on the car , charged for the 1 hour, i would recommend these guys with out any doubt ,

GeoffCapes

hello Mr capes
yes he told dean said he could look at it but he was very busy, so i managed to booked it next day with the ferrari centre or kent high performance trading as both, many large units big place

www.theferraricentre.com

im in no way connected or promoting any one with biased.

well i have been in the motor trade for over 35 years and had my own workshop for 3 years and worked for mercedes and volvo for 20 years blah blah,

but i say it how it is, these guys Matt and the boss himself Roger were so friendly and professional they worked on and under and taking things off and running sd3 and leonardo and the hydrocarbon tester etc etc 2 techs on it,they were on the car over 2 hrs on the car , charged for the 1 hour, i would recommend these guys with out any doubt ,

I spoke to Voicey today about booking in my GTS for a disc and pad replacement he did say he was up to his eyeballs in work. Something I’m not surprised with as the work he does is top notch.

Glad you got the QP sorted.

martininkent

well they did a brilliant job looking , and listening which is good , professional outlook, i noticed while underneath the car with the techs, i noticed the engine mounts had gone into a inflated bubble underneath,
thats them knackered (IMO ) , and the techs agreed the mounts didn't look good and you could see the engine shaking where it was not being supported enough, ,
so that's the best option for the vibration and cheapest option before we start looking at the alternatives ,
ie torque converter or gearbox input bearing blah blah, its the mounts i am convinced,
nothing else (fingers crossed ) just getting quotes and trying to keep it local to me,

as for the suspension light ( code was IMG_20180320_154659.jpg
so iam searching and reading others experiences with this error ,
thanks