Battery Charging

Jnismith

I've just bought a CTEK battery charger so I can trickle charge the GS. I've connected it to the terminals so all I have to do is plug it in but... Should I turn the “battery switch†off while using it? Which obviously will reset every time.

D Walker

No need to - but I used to on the 4200. In fact I used to isolate every time i tucked it away, regardless of putting the "battery conditioner" on - be aware, as far as I remember it will fully discharge your battery before it re-charges it.....I think....

allandwf

Mine "lived" on a Ctek, 3weeks away, 3weeks home, it won't discharge the battery, and no need to disconnect the battery. I left the flying lead permanently connected, and just plugged it in via the boot whilst garaged.

Zep

I bought a maypole conditioner. It trickle charges and keeps the battery at 14.4 volts. I fitted a 12v lighter plug on the end of it and just plug it into the socket above the isolator in the boot. I don't disconnect the battery as I like the mirror and radio settings to stay in the car.

Scaf

With the ctec I did think it discharges first if you select the “recon” option.
and have to say when I first got my GTS even fully charged if I left it a longer than a week it would be flat.
Having used the “recon” option a few times it will easily last over three weeks, so we’ll worth doing it.

hashluck

CTEK has a desulphation stage not a discharge stage. It will also use a declining current and allow the battery voltage to drop to 12V to check if it can keep charge during the conditioning process but it will never discharge it or allow the voltage to drop below 12V (once charged) in any of the modes. If that happens then the battery is likely faulty (and the CTEK should show an error)

Be cafeful using 'recon' mode since it uses an increased step voltage to encourage 'gassing' of the battery - it should only really be used after a battery has run completley flat or once a year. It uses 15.8V and there are some caveats using that mode with 'delicate' electronics. If in any doubt I would disconnect the battery using 'recon' mode but I used it fine on my GS and would not be concerned at all using a CTEK in normal modes with battery connected.

Jnismith

I just used the normal mode. Seemed to work fine, no errors. Will put it on again today as won’t be using the car this week.