QP as a daily drive ?

zagatoes30

Suppose the question is can you get a good car that doesn't need a fortune spending on it for 15k......

Yes one that has had the right sort of owner, Deans was one example but there are others they just come up infrequently.

Andyk

Looking the the way the 4.2 GT is falling price wise they will be high teens early 20's in a few months.

D Walker

There all ready is one for under 20, I posted the add t'other day.
In't pub now, fed up of insurance, agreed value seems to be a mare to get a quote for.

Andyk

Yes there is Dave...More thinking it will be common rather than the odd one.......

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Looking the the way the 4.2 GT is falling price wise they will be high teens early 20's in a few months.

Bad ones will be; good ones will still fetch £25k. We are all fully aware that ‘cheap’ good quality Maseratis are few and far between. The reason any car is ‘cheap’ and still for sale is usually that it isn’t a good car.

CatmanV2

25k sounds pretty good for a decent 4.2 GT Dicky.......

Looking at Autotrader I'd be really surprised if I got 25 for mine. Just the mileage will put people off. I couldn't care less, it's still a glorious thing and I'm more than happy to look after it for another 1-2 years.

C

Wanderer

Believe it or not the ZF is 49/51 front to rear. The DS is 47/53 front to rear.

I think we discussed this before we poo-pooed it! It's outside the laws of physics! Unless they lined the boot floor with 1" thick lead....

ZF:

Front, wet sump engine, autobox and torque converter
Rear: Diff.

DS:

Front: Dry sump engine
Rear: clutch, gearbox and diff.

Is a wet sump heavier? More oil?

rockits

Are you suggesting the Maserati figures are wrong? They seem feasible to me unless I'm missing something.

They are saying there is more weight at the back of a DS & less at the back a ZF. That would be right wouldn't it?

bigbob

Look at it this way, how many of us are good enough to spot the handling difference between our Maseratis' when they have 5 litres or 80 litre of fuel in them? The difference is 4% of weight of the car over or not over the rear axle so is material on this analysis but I can't tell. It's all just marketing BS. Nothing to see here.

Great idea having a QP as a DD, it's what they were built for.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
You can feel the difference in handling on an ZF/DS, the DS does handle better and turn in is more focussed.

rockits

You can feel the difference in handling on an ZF/DS, the DS does handle better and turn in is more focussed.
I'd agree with this although not driven a QP DS only driven a ZF. However the DS has 72kg less over the front axle so with that amount of weight difference I would suspect it would make a noticeable enough difference.

Corranga

Look at it this way, how many of us are good enough to spot the handling difference between our Maseratis' when they have 5 litres or 80 litre of fuel in them? The difference is 4% of weight of the car over or not over the rear axle so is material on this analysis but I can't tell. It's all just marketing BS. Nothing to see here.

Great idea having a QP as a DD, it's what they were built for.

I don't think it's unreasonable, I can feel the difference with/sans passenger in most cars.

bigbob

Much easier in a Lotus to feel 75kg but less so in my GT!. Also I guess easier side on rather than front back if that makes sense?

highlander

Yes, 3-4k a year probably on running costs but the question for me with a man maths calculator is how much running costs for a cheapish runabout? It will need fuel too and tyres and servicing......So the difference between a runabout costs taken away from a predicted QP yearly cost is the real financial cost of running a dream daily to just running daily to get to where your going.........sorry if I have only thrown confusion into the mix but I reckon if you can spring 1-1.5k a year, that might cover it.

Swedish Paul

Isn’t this why the 911 is how it is? More weight over the back wheels, better traction. If you can stop the back end trying to swap under breaking or mid corner foot down acceleration. I’m sure F1 cars have more weight bias at the back. Or??

Andyk

Think daily drive is out of the question...£400 on fuel alone a month just can't be justified when a decent daily drive will cost £150. As a toy yes but the more I read 13-15k on a Maserati is a lottery and the odds in that are against rather than with you. Think having a bigger budget is the way to go and buying the best latest car....eg something like Ewans Sport GTS. Plus having a very cheap daily drive doing around 20 to 25k a year I think would be a drag. At least the XE I had in my last job made the hour community bareable. But a company car is not an option as the tax man just hammered me last time I had one and in April the tax rises significantly as well will the new rules so a decent used car I think and save for something more exciting.