Working out what QPV has what gearbox!

LeeKendall

Hi there,
Newbie here. I am very seriously thinking about buying a QPV (own a 760Li at present) and have done a bit of reading. From the couple of guides I've read, it seems that going for the QP with the ZF auto box is almost essential. I therefore wondered if any of you nice people could help me with the following:

1. What year was the new ZF box introduced with Quattroportes? I've read conflicting information, one 2006, one 2008.
2. This might sound daft but is there any obvious way to tell if a particular car has the ZF box?! I.e. by model or year or something else. Looking on Autotrader it's not immediately obvious to a newbie. I can see differences in photos of the gearstick / paddles between cars around the 2008 mark but don't know what I should be looking for.

Finally, is anyone on these forums selling a nice example I should be aware of?

Hope this OK and would be grateful for your expertise.

Lee

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Lee, QP ZF’s are 07MY cars, the first ones being 56 plates. They are distinguishable by the presence of a gear lever, a Duo Select just has a toggle switch to select reverse.

Ewan

You'll need to decide whether you need/prefer a manual (DS) or an auto (ZF). There is no right or wrong here, it's a personal choice. Having had examples of both and driven them for maybe 100k miles over the last 10 years or so, I prefer the DS. Try driving an example of each variant, then decide. (Though if you live in a city and/or regularly drive in heavy traffic, just go for the auto version.)

My preference would be a late (2007), low mileage Sport GT version with the DS box.

All good stuff above.
My preference was the Auto ZF box and the model I chose was the Executive GT, which I think was the top of the range for equipment spec but not as gutsy as the GT. Horses for courses. It gave me what I wanted - comfort and ability.
I also do not have the flappy paddles on the wheel which I am content with
Fantastic cars

Wanderer

I wanted a Pontevechio one, but when I looked at one I found the colour too purpley, not like Alfa Rosso I had on my 166. Didn't like in the flesh. Oddly when I saw the pics of my current chariot online I didn't like the colour (icy blue - dunno the proper term) in flesh I loved it....

D Walker

Charlie has suggested I swap my GS for Richards car...hmmm

I think it’s a fair shout Peter, from your posts I get the feeling you are no longer “ in love” with the GS and would prefer your 4200 back, I will see it next weekend, but as pointed out, 1 May go up and 1 will go down, and as you have the luxury of keeping it for weekends then maybe the GS is a better shout, but you may use the QP more....

safrane

It is food for thought... but I doubt I would use it any more than the current Trident.

I am not permitted to use my car for work and after 600-800 miles a week in one of Enterprise's finest I am usually fed up of the sight of the roads...so high days and holidays only. Car will also be stored off site to come the spring so that spur of the moment thing will be even less of a risk.

Having said all that, if I was to find a low miles 4200 as well they would make a nice couple.

Anyway pipe dreams...I should be satisfied with an first rate GS that owes me nothing and pays back the yearly maintenance in appreciation. ..where else can you get that.