Stephen Hawking - RIP

2b1ask1

Special case
Wheely sad news...

Never met him but when my son was at Cambridge he would see him about, often in the pub! He gave us so many answers and truly a survivor.

Contigo

Sponsor
29136084_1218578521612460_3635077967907913728_n.jpg

Andyk

One of the greats......Never inderstood a word he said and gave up on his book after a few chapters....Christ that was hard going.... but a very influential man....

zagatoes30

Great comment on BBC Breakfast,

a journalist once asked him "in the infinite number of universes would there be one where I was cleverer than You?"

Stephens response was "yes there will also be one where you are funny"

agooner

Always been interested in astronomy and astrophysics. Hawking was an influential and inspirational scientist who made a huge contribution to the understanding of "black holes". As an aside, wonder if he is the only person to have appeared in both The Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory.

Ian996

An incredible example of mind over matter. Apparently, he had a form of MND that was more survivable than the norm, but surviving for 50 + years after his initial diagnosis is staggering.

Very sad to see such an inspirational bloke pass away.

iainw

It’s absolutely incredible he lived so long with that disease. Given months to live at 22.
Remarkable mind. I remember dining at the same table many times in halls, but never got the chance for a lengthy 1:1.
I would have loved to have asked him what is the theory of Masarati these days...

CatmanV2

It’s absolutely incredible he lived so long with that disease. Given months to live at 22.
Remarkable mind. I remember dining at the same table many times in halls, but never got the chance for a lengthy 1:1.
I would have loved to have asked him what is the theory of Masarati these days...

Oh come on. He was one of the world's greatest physicists, not a bloody mind reader!

C

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
The fact that he would prefer to have met Marilyn Monroe than Newton* speaks volumes.

*Sir Isaac, not our very own version. Given that choice, i suspect his answer may have been quite different!

iainw

The fact that he would prefer to have met Marilyn Monroe than Newton* speaks volumes.

*Sir Isaac, not our very own version. Given that choice, i suspect his answer may have been quite different!

Bloody Cambridge egos. He did his PhD at trinity hall and Sir Isaac was at trinity when the Apple dropped..
mind you- what same man wouldn’t want to meet MM!

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Me for one; she’ll be a bit crispy round the edges by now. Also, she was as mad as a ship’s cat and as slack as a yak.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Me for one; she’ll be a bit crispy round the edges by now. Also, she was as mad as a ship’s cat and as slack as a yak.

I've not sampled yak, but I'm sure Dem will be along to soon to offer the benefit of his personal experiences. Or Rob.

Sad news, but it shows how an all consuming passion can lengthen lifespan
other examples would be David Attenbrough, Patrick Moore, Keef Richards et al

Spartacus

They also asked him what was the greatest unexplained thing in the universe was. He relpied "Women!"

Spartacus

Sad news, but it shows how an all consuming passion can lengthen lifespan
other examples would be David Attenbrough, Patrick Moore, Keef Richards et al

This means buy more Maseratis , you ll live longer ....but you ll be broke

Last edited:

azapa

Real shame. I tried the book too. I think the problem with it was either he tried to simplify it for simpletons, or I really am one - never got past 3 chapters.

I love the quote in the obituary from the person that best knew him - his mum.

Speaking to the BBC in 2002, his mother, Isobelle, described him as a "very normal young man".

She said: "He liked parties. He liked pretty girls - only pretty ones. He liked adventure and he did, to some extent, like work."