Third party warranty

beau

Says fully comprehensive, wear and tear to me would be tyres, brakes, etc not a leaking cylinder

If it was me they would be getting a letter, and if not resolved I’d take it further

iainw

Well i started this thread to get some opinions and i thank you all for your opinions. It was not of great cost i think the bearing was about £400 plus labour, the warranty runs out in about a month so i wont have to deal with this company again. On a positive note how is this for service ? Shiltech took my clutch out as i said they might as well fit a new one while they had the box out, they rang me to tell me the clutch is like new and it was not needed WOW now that is honesty and integrity .

The last owner must have driven it like a grandad

TridentTested

Unless you’ve spoken to Nareman directly already (sorry if you have and I missed it) then I’d call him. I’ve always found him to be a man of immense integrity who will unwaveringly put the extra effort in to do the right thing by his customers.

He is a man of immense integrity whom I know follows this forum carefully, so I'm sure he will act correctly.

rockits

I'm either in the wrong business or not charging enough. I suspect the latter. I wouldn't mind almost doubling my hourly rates to £150 an hour!

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I'm either in the wrong business or not charging enough. I suspect the latter. I wouldn't mind almost doubling my hourly rates to £150 an hour!

My local MD charges £200/hour. Plus VAT. Although they'll knock a fat chunk of that if you fall over hard enough or have palpitations within sight of other customers.

rockits

Is that the right way round? I would have thought the hourly rate would apply if it wasn't covered.

rockits

My local MD charges £200/hour. Plus VAT. Although they'll knock a fat chunk of that if you fall over hard enough or have palpitations within sight of other customers.
Best I get a fully kitted out workshop built as well then! I could offer IT/tech & automotive services. About 100 an hour works for me. Bargain.

CatmanV2

£100 per hour is no big deal. They won't be working (charging) 8 hours per day. Probably.

C

rockits

I don't know I often go through weeks where I have charged myself out for 38 hours or more. Granted not every week and every week of every month of every year. I used to do it years ago as a colour calibration consultant & went about a year averaging 5 days billed per week. I did need break after that year though!

CatmanV2

I don't know I often go through weeks where I have charged myself out for 38 hours or more. Granted not every week and every week of every month of every year. I used to do it years ago as a colour calibration consultant & went about a year averaging 5 days billed per week. I did need break after that year though!

For sure, but you're not a mechanic (or a plumber, or a painter, or any one of number of other skilled people)

C

rockits

I reckon I could be without much trouble. Have always done a bit of mechanics, electrical & plumbing work out of necessity. When you can't find or get anyone else reliable to do it you end up doing it yourself.

Stripped the Rayburn down and fixed it the other week. Works a treat now.

Maybe I should come out of the tech world & be a plumber. It is easy in comparison. I reckon I know 4 times of more as much in my world as the average plumber needs to know.

D Walker

I am with you on that. I solved a "smell" problem at a mates house that 3 plumbers had failed to sort out. And I was free. They had cost a fortune changing bends and wastes. Too much to explain here but basically a waste pipe between sinks had sagged. As soon as he told me the symptoms and the sequence I solved it. Common sense!!! I'm also the best electrician I know. Bit cheat really. HND in that. Lol.

rockits

Agreed. Most stuff is fairly easy once you understand how it works then apply some logic. Amazing how many people don't do logic very well. I am one of the most logical people I know luckily.

After spending 25 years troubleshooting & resolving issues in the IT/tech/networking/anythingwithaplugon world many others things don't seem so hard.

It is not that I want to save money or am opposed to spending money on people doing stuff. However when average people don't even try hard, are not that good and still seem to feel they can charge silly money that doesn't work for me.

As these guys are bow charging what I charge of more I Kay as well do it myself. My old man always told me it is best to go to work & earn your money & let them do the work if you are earning more than what they charge. The balance seems to have been addresses so no longer is it worth me doing that.

john4fun

Just to let you know this problem has been resolved Nareman had a think about my issue and has come up good, so thanks to you all for your advice.

jemgee

Amusing to read that PwC are stiffing the creditors of Carillion - £20m bill in 3 weeks. Their guy in charge David Kelly, the special manager for PwC in Carillion’s liquidation......said his personal rate was £865 an hour

Good to know the accountancy profession still offers good value for money