Looking for that elusive low miles GS?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
That’s the spirit, Dave. Use it! Maybe not for going to the supermarket, but don’t just keep it locked away. It’s a car, drive it like one!

Swedish Paul

When I bought mine, the garage stored it until I could pick it up 6 mnths later. Worth the wait. Just make sure the road is dry before sport mode and flooring it the first time. On a straight piece of road....

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Not really. It's absolutely immaculate, with very low mileage. You can't beat it for condition (matching it as good as you could get), and I doubt there's one with lower mileage. Of course, it's possible that there might be an even better one, but I seriously doubt it. Either way, it's a stunning example.

The one worry is that it's £10k more than another excellent example, and the difference is largely down to the low mileage. So as soon as start using it, you erode its uniqueness and the £10k premium disappears.

On the flip side, if you squirrel it away, and let everyone else use theirs, its uniqueness grows so consequently does it's value. Therefore the quandary is, do you use it or polish it? Or maybe limit it to, say 500 or 1000 miles a year?

My 4200 only had 11.5K on her when I bought her 6 years ago, and 16K now.
Still hardly high mileage and I have used her as much as I have been able too as a third car for fun.
I'm sure Dave will be the same.

Ewan

750 miles per year then. I think that counts as a polisher rather than a driver! But don't get me wrong - I view this as a good thing, as it means there are some excellent examples still around.

rockits

My 4200 only had 11.5K on her when I bought her 6 years ago, and 16K now.
Still hardly high mileage and I have used her as much as I have been able too as a third car for fun.
I'm sure Dave will be the same.
I'm in the same boat Mike. I'd love to drive more miles & more in the 4200 or QP but I just don't get the opportunity. I bought mine with 11k miles circa 3 years ago & it's on 14k miles now. It gets used & moved enough to keep it well but it is unlikely it will get used more over the next goodness knows how many years.

Maybe the kids will inherit it with 40k miles on in a few years

D Walker

Let’s just say I will use it for high days , holidays ans lazy summer nights, I’m on the edge of some fantastic roads I know like the back of my hand, even the wife doesn’t twitch, Euro trips, yes please, like Dean, I think this will be with me for a while, and I will look after it, just a custodian.....

Panicracing

Why have we got this big hang up in this country regarding low mileage, to me it's on face value and how the cars been looked after. To me it's all relevant, everything ages regardless on how hard it's worked. My GS has 103k miles on it and I'd put that car up against any 30k mile car, my Maserati MD up here, Dick Lovett always say to me it's one of the best they've seen and regularly have sub 30k mile cars that are hanging, admittedly I've spent a few quid to bring her up to where she is now but not much more than your average owner. If she had 10k miles I'd be at £40k, as it is I'm at £20k +. Never let me down in 5 years and runs and drives spot on, full history from day one and overly looked after, she done close to 70k miles in first 3 years, I only do summer miles now 2k a year so is not used much. At the end of the day the way l see it is pay top price for low mileage car. Rack up the miles and it becomes run of the mill car at reasonable money and your into a loss so you end up not using it, buy a higher mileage car, look after, have fun and at the end of the day make a few quid or come away calling it quits. FYI I paid £16k 5 years ago, best 16 grand I've ever spent.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Gp79

Why have we got this big hang up in this country regarding low mileage, to me it's on face value and how the cars been looked after. To me it's all relevant, everything ages regardless on how hard it's worked. My GS has 103k miles on it and I'd put that car up against any 30k mile car, my Maserati MD up here, Dick Lovett always say to me it's one of the best they've seen and regularly have sub 30k mile cars that are hanging, admittedly I've spent a few quid to bring her up to where she is now but not much more than your average owner. If she had 10k miles I'd be at £40k, as it is I'm at £20k +. Never let me down in 5 years and runs and drives spot on, full history from day one and overly looked after, she done close to 70k miles in first 3 years, I only do summer miles now 2k a year so is not used much. At the end of the day the way l see it is pay top price for low mileage car. Rack up the miles and it becomes run of the mill car at reasonable money and your into a loss so you end up not using it, buy a higher mileage car, look after, have fun and at the end of the day make a few quid or come away calling it quits. FYI I paid £16k 5 years ago, best 16 grand I've ever spent.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

All very true. Get out there any enjoy using them is key, mileage is only one factor.

16k was a good deal, I got done! Paid 18k for mine 4 yr ago!

Anyway the that low mile GS does look great.

Andyk

Agree with above...low miles will always attract a premium but cars should be used and you will get just as many issues with a car that's sat doing a few miles a year if no more than a car that has all the mechanicals moving day in day out. With these cars now over 10 years old it's all about condition and history. But Daves new car has low miles and looks like it's been loved and cherished for all its 12 years of life....best of both welds Dave....She looks stunning.

D Walker

Cheers Andy, guys for all the comments,
I haven’t bought it to just sit in the (storage-10 mile away); will use it when I want a drive out, if the wife fancies an ice cream in the Lakes then I will chauffeur etc, to my mind it will do 2/3k a year and no doubt I will have to spend to keep it in the condition it is, which, with it being Blue was why I decided on this one, I did visit Brett (great chap btw) in January, I had initially decided not to pursue because wasn’t sure on interior, not keen on 2tone, but then I’ve been deliberating and springs coming. Plan is to keep for 2/3 years, maybe more and then if Maserati haven’t produced anything new, then maybe scratch the V12 Vantage itch (Adam......hint hint..lol)

Andyk

I love the two tone leather Dave...individual and striking.....not many about and everyone I've seen has really looked stunning.

Contigo

Sponsor
Well done Dave!! But wow that's a premium for miles! You could have got a MC Shift for that money....

rockits

I haven't & don't think we have hangups on mileage. Although I agree with Ewan in what he says. If you take an extremely low miler then put loads of miles on it you will lose the premium you paid for it in the first place come resale. It isn't rocket science. If that is what you want to do then fine. To keep a premium value in a low miler car the miles need to stay low more so in 20 or 30 years time when the values will likely widen.

If course a car with less miles is generally going to be worth more than a car with more miles. Never been any different globally and not likely to change. I don't have an issue with this & it all makes sense.

Anyone has the right to do what ever they want. It is their choice & everybody is different. There is no wrong or right.

I don't keep the miles down on my 4200 for any value reason I just don't the opportunity to drive it as much as I'd like. It also doesn't often make sense to take out on aquick odd occasion as it is on the top level of the lift with a car underneath & a car in front of the garage. I have one or two too many cars & will be looking to address this over this year.

I only do about 10-12k miles per year and 50% get done in the XC90 which will now get done in the E55K now. Wow what a piece of engineering that thing is...forgot how good they are! Did I mention!!

Every body has different uses & opportunities. I suspect I appreciate & enjoy my 4200 as it gets used so much less than others. I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. I'm a firm believer of quality of quantity.

Enjoy it Dave. Use it as much as you can and want to & don't worry about tomorrow or the values. Very very nice GS.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Plan is to keep for 2/3 years, maybe more and then if Maserati haven’t produced anything new, then maybe scratch the V12 Vantage itch (Adam......hint hint..lol)

Yeah yeah yeah. Snow stopped play, especially in the frozen far north where the car is. All being well I’ll collect next week or early the week after.

D Walker

Well done Dave!! But wow that's a premium for miles! You could have got a MC Shift for that money....

Yep, I could have Phil, but it would have had to been a Strad,but for my needs I think the GT is too big, no quicker and handling not so precise, but, the noise, each to their own.....