Alfa 159 1.9 jtdm

Kazzer

Seen one for sale year 2007 very low mileage can anyone tell me if there is anything i need to look for?
Any know faults.
Thanks
Karen

Trev Latter

Corrosion on the front subframe is a common issue and the gearboxes are reputed to be a bit weak. That said, we put 120k miles on ours before changing it after about seven years and had very few issues. I’d even go so far to say it was one of the most reliable cars we’ve ever owned as a daily driver.

Trev Latter

Not really, as mine was fine, but the general consensus on Alfaowner forum was that they were weak and suffered failures. I believe it to be a GM unit (as is the engine). Might be worth having a look on there. Sorry I can’t be of more help, but we changed that car about five years ago.

nfm

Have had my 07 for 4 years/ 40k. Has generally been reliable, some usual wear and tear stuff like wishbones/discs/broken spring. It did need a reconditioned rack early on. Mine is selespeed and no gearbox issues. Handbrake cables can rust up and are a pig to change, mine are now borderline. Make sure belt change included water pump change. All in all I have enjoyed mine; being a sports wagon it is very versatile, never mind good looking. Power adequate but no more than that, just a commuting hack for me. You don't see many which is nice. Would recommend it based on my experience.

dem maser

Was on my shortlist for a runaround until I have heard from owners telling me the clutches and suspension tend to go as they are heavy cars so concentrating on GTs now

dem maser

Well impressed how much space there is in the boot and when the seats fold....also roomy in the back

dem maser

Im looking at one on Tuesday and hopefully itll be mine, 110k but new cambelt and clutch so not bad for the money

conaero

Forum Owner
The 1.9 engine is a peach. The only thing you have to watch is sooting up egr valves but annual clean should be ok.

Gearbox and clutch. It’s a dual mass flywheel and can cause heavy sticky pedal and costs a grand to replace. That said you should be good for 100k miles as for the gearbox they seem to give up around the 130k mile mark (my mates 1.9 156 just did it at this Mileage). They physically blow a hole in the casing I believe it’s the diff that fails.

To be honest a salvage low mileage box can be had for a couple of hundred quid.

The 2L 159 is the one to go for as it has a different gearbox.

Front sub frames do indeed corrode. I only just caught the one on my Brera in time.

Personally, avoid the 2.4 at all costs I hear nothing but issues with them. Not the 10v 156 version but the 20v Brera/159 version.

spkennyuk

Ive had 4 x 2.4 jtd engines all 20v and no problems with any of them. 3 x 156 including the current one and a 159 2.4 ti 210bhp version. The current 156 is over 100k now and gearbox and engine are still going strong.

Swirl potts on the 159 caused a few issues on early cars and the usual EGR valve sticking but you can always blank off and delete with a remap.

Sub frames need checking but corrosion can be hidden by the under tray.

159 is a lot of car for the money. As with any alfa it needs regular services. Annual oil change as a minimum. IIRC its 20k or two years for everything else. Some dealers actually said it was 2 years or 20k when they first came out as a selling point. It wasnt strictly speaking true.

Kazzer

Would love a GT always liked them but need 4 doors for elderly mother in law & dog

Also spotted a low mileage 2.4 - with 39k the 1.9 has 27k - both 2007
Current Alfas get serviced every year and full check with Duncan Slade even though they do little mileage

So out of the 2 the 1.9 ?

conaero

Forum Owner
Ive had 4 x 2.4 jtd engines all 20v and no problems with any of them. 3 x 156 including the current one and a 159 2.4 ti 210bhp version. The current 156 is over 100k now and gearbox and engine are still going strong.

Swirl potts on the 159 caused a few issues on early cars and the usual EGR valve sticking but you can always blank off and delete with a remap.

Sub frames need checking but corrosion can be hidden by the under tray.

159 is a lot of car for the money. As with any alfa it needs regular services. Annual oil change as a minimum. IIRC its 20k or two years for everything else. Some dealers actually said it was 2 years or 20k when they first came out as a selling point. It wasnt strictly speaking true.

I really wish I was having your experiences of the 2.4. MAF said he was for ever spending on his too. Nik just got rid of his as he got fed up with it. It leaked oil for every orifice apparently.

spkennyuk

I really wish I was having your experiences of the 2.4. MAF said he was for ever spending on his too. Nik just got rid of his as he got fed up with it. It leaked oil for every orifice apparently.

Thats the age old problem with Alfas. You can either get a really good one or sometimes you end up with the last car built that day and it goes wrong all its life.

A forum member has my old 159 2.4 Ti and its still fault free almost 3 years after i sold it to them. The only thing they have had to change in that time was tyres. Its 10 years old now and all its needed have been service items and the usual suspension arms. Never broke down as far as i know. The Egr valve and dpf delete helped avoid cels i have no doubt.

Its the unicorn of Alfa's :laugh:

spkennyuk

The current 156 2.4 chewed another wheel bearing. Both front bearings were changed 12 months ago. Winter pot holed roads buckled a front wheel and took one of the bearings out as well. Either that or the bearing wasnt up to standard and failed.

Corranga

My 1.9jtdm failed an MOT a couple of weeks ago for 3 springs!

Probably the result of a heavy car + diabolical roads following a snowy winter.

dem maser

Hi Guys, a little update on me looking to buy a car.

I bought a 159 2.0 ti.

Its been brilliant, black with a few extras....getting 48mpg out of it and very smooth.

Went for the 2.0 as everyone i spoke to recommended this over the 1.9