To Strad or not to Strad....

RG07 MAS

Hi All,

Long time no see!?

After 18 months in the wilderness (with an Evora 400), I'm considering a return to the trident.

Started to look into the possibility of a 4 seat Strad and was hoping for a bit of advice/long term experiences/things to look out for.

I've missed the sportsmaserati crew and look forward to catching up at future events, hopefully back behind the wheel of a GT!

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Ta!

conaero

Forum Owner
Have a two seater Strad which I am smitten with. For me the two seater, as stupid as it is in a car that size just adds to the comedy.

As Peter says...go for it!

murph7355

I'm not convinced the later, 4-seat version is sufficiently different to the "standard" Sport model. Weight difference is not that great relative to the weight of the car, the engine's the same etc.

Aesthetics on the outside and inside are different (though inside a Sport can be spec'd to be the same or better, and the exterior isn't that far removed). Suspension is obviously different but I'm not convinced the nature of the GT suits this - it's never going to be a b-road barnstormer. Sports are much rarer with the MC Shift box and the Stradale does give that if you think it's needed. But the later auto is actually a very good box (just a shame the lower ratios aren't better spaced).

The earlier car was much more markedly different to the standard car. It looked a lot sharper, the engine had more poke, it went further on weight reduction and the interior was a lot different. Again I never really saw the point of it bearing in mind the nature of the standard car, but if you're going to be different, be different.

I don't see 4-seat Stradales holding their value any better than the Sport model they are based on. The 2-seat might fayre better in the longer term as something that bit more esoteric. Personally the 2-seat defeats the key USP of the car and the 4-seat isn't worth a premium.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Good plan! I agree with Matt - the two-seater is hilarious and silly and gorgeous and sounds amazing.

Andyk

Go for it....You may have just have the last if the great NA engined Maserati's if you get a Stradale. How did you find the Evora 400.....That's an amazing bit of it.

FF1078

I'd do it too.
The 2 seater just wasn't an option for me but I still wouldn't have bought a 2 seater anyway as they're a bit too old for me now. I don't plan on keeping mine but if it was a keeper I'd probably have gone for a 2 seater with roll bar and harnesses. Those lovely carbon seats are amazballs.

4 seater is a proper mile eating GT car and has the benefit of carbon brakes which was another rerason to get a Strad as even the drilled and grooved disc's on an MC are just sh!t.

outrun

Clearly not the place to visit if you want a level-headed response!

Do it. The Stradale is more then the sum of its parts and just has that something special that you can't put your finger on. It's about passion and panache. You can buy far quicker cars but who cares? It sounds fantastic and I am frequently told it's the best sounding car at events, even sitting amongst fancy Ferraris, McLarens and Astons. Actually, it's the noise that makes me love it so much. The Sport may be 95% of the car that a Stradale is but it's not the whole 9 yards.

Masser50

Interesting I almost went for a Evora 400 before I decided a GTS was they best choice, btw I love my Lotus having had 2, with an Elise in the garage next to the GTS.

I’ve had my 4 seat Strad from new for 4 years and an Evora 400 from new for 2 years now. Just clocked 20k miles in the Strad and a lovely 4 year service and new tyres for the MOT beckon in 2 weeks, nice (not).

Clearly they are both chalk and cheese but I would not be without either.

For what it’s worth, a Strad would not see which way an Evora went... but they serve 2 completely different purposes.

I also actually prefer the sound of the Evora in race over 6k revs. Don’t think the Strad touches it but then again, that’s a totally subjective opinion.

Stu

azapa

Of course a Stradale owner is going to say YES, buy one. Look at the PH adds now, how many 2 seaters are available? I am looking at another car and a mate has already offered me what I paid for mine almost 2 years ago. I don't think you will loose that much money if anything at all, assuming the car is well looked after and used as a second car. I am referring to 2 seaters.

Also, I'll say it: the stradale is way faster than a GTS. If you told me it had an extra 100HP I would believe you. Of course, it is part of the theatre of the event that adds that feeling, although some empirical test laps back up the quite large performance difference. Either way, there is no way the stradale left the factory with just a different internals coating and +10BHP. Long term drivers of both a GTS and a strad can chime in here

conaero

Forum Owner
Depends on budget too. GTS are a great buy right now about half that of a Strad. You have to weigh up if a Strad is worth twice a GTS and factor where values will be in 3 years.

Yes for me it was an awful lot of money. What swung me in the end to say **** it and buy one was the GTS/Strad could be the last V8 sports car that Maserati produce. It will go down in history as it. Factor in the very limited 2 seater and I feel it will do for the GranTurismo what the MCV did for the 4200 as they are very rare.

It’s not all about money but whilst it looks like I have at least 3 years (probably longer) till Maserati produce anything I remotely want I felt the two seater Strad presented a sensible way to sit it out.

And yes, of course I am biast I own one but hopefully from my meandering man maths above you will comprehend my logic....no matter how mad it appears.

Ewan

A two seater Strad at around the £60k mark is a great buy. Or £10k more gets a later 4 seater. I'm surprised they don't sell more quickly, but we see the same stock for sale for months and months. At least 6 months is typical for a white, black or grey Strad. I can understand the older and more common Maserati's such as QP's and 4200 taking a while to sell, but the slow selling of Strads does surprise me.

azapa

There are quite a few 2 seaters in Europe around the 100K Euro mark. Can't find the silly link now though. People are sitting on them or listing them high. I guess the market is international, and RHD prices may suffer.

conaero

Forum Owner
Just had a quick look on AT for 2 seater Strads for sale as I have probably not looked for about a year.

Only one, that white one with 40k miles on it that has been for sale for 18 months at £60k, thats it!

Plus only about 10 4 seaters starting late £60k's

8 GS's for sale and 20 coupes and a dozen 3200's

Not much on at the moment so good cars will be hard to find.

RG07 MAS

Thanks everyone!

I'm currently negotiating with some of the cars that you've mentioned listed, trying to get a 4 seater in the low 60s if I can.

I had such a great experience with my 4.2 GT, so hoping this will be a step up in performance terms but keeping the great GT character.

And the noise!!!!!

I'll keep you posted

MAF260

Andyk

That one has been for sale for a while as well...I believe it belonged to a member on here. 2 seater Stradale is the one Maserati I would love to buy and keep for ever....

azapa

Theres a couple local here that I wouldn't buy, each for it's own reason. I am guess those there in the UK for sale for a long while have stories behing them too. Small market, niche cars, internet, happens often.