Pzeros - Maserati spec or ???

MGT

Shopping around for some new front tyres and I'm just wondering who has run "normal" pzero's on their GT? Is the MGT(maserati)/K1(ferrari) spec necessary and much better than non?

bigbob

Shopping around for some new front tyres and I'm just wondering who has run "normal" pzero's on their GT? Is the MGT(maserati)/K1(ferrari) spec necessary and much better than non?

You will now be bombarded by owners asking why you are buying more P Zero tyres? They are not designed for the UK and need high temps to work well. I run Conti's and many people run Michelin's. Ditch the Pirelli's is my recommendation unless you are talking about the Sotto Zero winter tyre which is ace and is on my car at the moment.

MGT

They were recommended by Ed @ Christian Lewis and it's what I currently have on all 4 corners.

Does anyone know the answer to the original question re: manufacturer specific specifications?

allandwf

Difference may be sidewall stiffness. I would check that, as you can go higher, but are not meant to go lower.

FF1078

Actually I'm quite knowledgable on this very question as of today
A nice man came from Pirelli to look at my front tyres as they are cracking and I asked him does MGT really make a difference because mine has Aston tyres fitted on the front only because MGT front's dont exist in Corsa's.
The difference is the angle of the strands inside the tyres.
He told me that unless you had one for a BMW on one side and one for a Ferrari on the other you'd never tell but similar cars would be ok. He's given me a front tyre for mine free of charge but again it's an Aston one so Pirelli themselves condone it.
I would worrying.

bigbob

They were recommended by Ed @ Christian Lewis and it's what I currently have on all 4 corners.

Does anyone know the answer to the original question re: manufacturer specific specifications?

Your best advice is to ring Pirelli UK technical as there are a large number of OE branded versions of the same size P Zero tyres. If you are on the 245/35/20 (not sure what car you have) then my dealer used to fit the K1 if that helps but Pirelli technical is your best bet for confirmation.

I've owned my car for seven years and would recommend you look elsewhere. Continentals' are approved for the car as well - they were added after a few years as people gradually realised how bad the Pirellis were below about 12c. Would not stop me using Michelins' mind as reports of those on our cars are excellent too. Let us know how you get on.

MGT

I have a 4.7 GTS. Out of interest what about the Pirellis made them feel for you bad below 12c?

murph7355

I've never had good experience of Pirellis. Break traction too easily and simply don't feel that grippy. They are also very poor in standing water.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports are better in every respect - though never got to try them on the GT (had them on my old V8V and also on my RS4).

Tyres are a funny thing as you tend to think they're OK and put up with/drive around the "foibles" until you try something much better.

JonW

I have the Sotto Zeros for winter and normal Pzeros for summer. The difference between the two is remarkable, and I am seriously contemplating ditching the normal Pzeros for something better... only trouble is it’s a fairly chunky investment to buy 4 new tyres and then find they arent much better...

bigbob

Sotto Zeros on mine at the moment and it's snowing outside - :auto14: they last four seasons as well so not expensive really.

For the OP, P Zeros lose traction quickly as the temps drop. On initial takeoff my Sports Contact 3s can take far more power than the P Zeros could, for example.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that P Zero were recommended by Maserati, could be wrong here though.
Anyway I have Falkens all round on the QP and have had nae bother

bigbob

Pretty sure I read somewhere that P Zero were recommended by Maserati, could be wrong here though.
Anyway I have Falkens all round on the QP and have had nae bother

They were recommended in that that's what they all come with from the factory.

Ebenezer

Never had any issues with Pzeros apart from they are so soft...Perhaps I don't drive the car as "I should"....
Eb

perleman

I just put new rears on my GT 4.2, had the Pirellis on before & wasn't that impressed
Am used to driving Porsches so switched to MPSS and didn't think it made that much difference
The car is so heavy you can't really throw it around and expect the back not to come out like how you can in a 997 C4S

Masser50

While we are on this topic what’s the concensus on PSI levels for a GTS? The door sticker on mine says 32psi, however the fronts look almost flat if I run 32? What do others do? The front of the GTS must be bloody heavy as the rears never look as stressed.

outrun

That is a good price. Get buying these people. Especially if you have Pirelli on there now.

MGT

Bargain. I’ll keep an eye out going forward. Mine need replacing all round shortly.

They will probably go back up when in stock, so I would order sooner as you can always cancel before they are dispatched (and don't get charged until they are)