Motor Mount Replacement

Masera

Gents, anyone replace the motor mounts on an 02 4200? I am attempting to this currently, but I am not sure how to proceed. I unbolted the mounts from engine support brackets but there is no way to jack up the motor high enough to get the clearance needed to remove the mount. I am leaning towards attempting to remove the engine brackets to get the mounts out. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

conaero

Forum Owner
You would probably be best to approach one of our sponsors with this question but I do know you have to lift the engine in the bay so I would suspect you will need an engine crane. I don't know which part of the world you are in but I have one you are welcome to borrow down in Chichester. I am sure if you post your location, another member with a crane maybe nearer to you.

Gp79

Once you have the engine jacked up off the subframe could you not remove the bracket connecting the engine mount to the block? This should allow removal.

Also why are you replacing them? Are they leaking as they do look fluid filled?

CCE0AB4C-C91D-4F87-B56F-4E56386574DB.jpg

Masera

You would probably be best to approach one of our sponsors with this question but I do know you have to lift the engine in the bay so I would suspect you will need an engine crane. I don't know which part of the world you are in but I have one you are welcome to borrow down in Chichester. I am sure if you post your location, another member with a crane maybe nearer to you.

Thank you for the offer, but I am in the US!

Masera

Once you have the engine jacked up off the subframe could you not remove the bracket connecting the engine mount to the block? This should allow removal.

Also why are you replacing them? Are they leaking as they do look fluid filled?

See below pic, mine are bulging on the bottom. I am going to try this approach tonight, but a couple of the bracket bolts to the block are a little hard to get to. Mind you, I am attempting this in my garage with no lift! I find it interesting that not many have had to replace their mounts.

Mount.jpg

Masera

Finally done! As suggested, I was able to accomplish by removing engine mounts and jacking up motor. Right hand side was harder than left because I couldn't access one of the bolts. Feels much smother now! Thank you for your help!

Gp79

Glad you got it done, my GS has 68k on it but I’ve not considered replacing the mounts.

I take it the new ones don’t bulge like the old ones did? So it is a sign they’re worn out?

They are not cheap either.

Masera

The new ones do not have that bulge, so it is my opinion that yes, bulge would be a good indication that they are worn out.

Gp79

Good to know, thanks.

Will check the bulge on mine!

How is the gearbox one? Did you change this aswell?

Masera

Gearbox one looks good, funny thing is, that it has a different part number then the engine mounts and are priced higher, but I think they are all the same!