Battery Reset - QP V

Wanderer

Gonna do it today, never done it, presumably it's just;

1. Unlock, open boot.

2. Disconnect negative lead (I'm gonna leave over, car in garage)

3. Reconnect

4. Switch ignition on

5. Input radio code

6. Fire up engine, let run for a while.

7. Wee drive and prey TPMS starts working.

8. Start NIT setup.

I have the following issues I hope it might fix.

1. Odd driver window up behaviour - only goes up in 3" bursts, retracts fine, all other windows/sunroof fine. Button feels ok, not wobbly like the one on my Alfa 166 when I had a similar fault

2. Seat memory not working

3. Easy exit not working

4. Boot stopped opening on button (used to).

5. TPMS - sensors all working been checked, must be ECU or reset.

Anything else to do or is it as simple as that?

I did this a few years ago and cured all ills like a Louisianan Recipe

Key on ignition 30 seconds
Select neutral
EPB on
Drop drivers window
Engine off
Open boot
Keys out
Disconnect battery
Leave window and boot open for 15 minutes
Key in via open window
Start
Leave running
Do nothing
Cooler fans kick in

That should be it

Also this
1) Connect the battery and then go and do something else for 20 mins. This allows the heater mix valve to calibrate.
2) Switch the ignition on (engine off) and wait for the throttle body to calibrate (you can hear it clicking) and for the heater flaps to stop moving (depends on the model). 1-2 mins is enough for this step.
3) Start the engine and let it idle for a while - this starts the fuel trim adaption and variator learning.
4) Whilst the engine is running the bits like windows, radio code, clock, seats, etc can be sorted. I would also check the EPB if fitted.
5) Switch engine off and lock/unlock to make sure all is working well and that the door handles are working (later cars).

All courtesy of other forum members

Wanderer

Ta fella's

Couple of things - I have no EPB, but I have electric soft-touch door handles. Also on DS u have to press brake to start engine - how do I do that with door closed bearing in mind I'm 56 and not a contortionist! Some sort of stick is in order I reckon...

Also too how do I sort seats? Just move them about full travel?

MarkMas

Chief pedant
There was discussion of this in this thread too: http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/showthread.php/25500-How-do-I-disconnect-the-battery

My manual says that this bit really important: 2) Switch the ignition on (engine off) and wait for the throttle body to calibrate (you can hear it clicking)

Battery cable and bolt configs and accessibility seem to vary - I disconnected the -ve cable from the car, rather than from the battery, as it was easier to get to. Scary sparks, but seemed to work.

Battery 2.jpg

I don't see why you would need to do 'Key in via open window'. Is that something to do with resetting the door handles? Surely you just press the brake while starting the engine, while sitting in the car with the door closed, as necessary.

None of this actually cured any of my problems, though.

1. Odd driver window up behaviour - put some silicon on the rubbery bits
2. Seat memory not working - dunno; not had this problem
3. Easy exit not working - on mine this can be disabled both by a switch and via the menus (maybe you already tried both)
4. Boot stopped opening on button - required some sort of computer reset at Dick Lovett for me
5. TPMS - this never ever works on any car. ever.

Wanderer

Well that didn't go as smoothly as I expected!

I immediately got the Maserati Christmas tree of lights on ignition, MSR, ASR, MSP, Suspension failure - **** me up but on start all went away. Boot wouldn't close, soft touch door handles not working, however after an engine restart all came back to normal - phew!

In the end no further forward, TPMS and driver door still misbehaving, boot open button still not working, no easy entry or memory, but car seemed to drive more smoothly, and it was good enough before, seems quieter.

rockits

Is the battery new or definitely good? I'd check and make sure. We all know dodgy or low charge batteries can cause odd issues on Maser's.

Wanderer

Is the battery new or definitely good? I'd check and make sure. We all know dodgy or low charge batteries can cause odd issues on Maser's.

Might be worth it anyway, though it looks new, spins the engine ethusiastically enough and holds it's charge fine.