Apple HomePod

TridentTested

I do recall electrostatic planar speakers as pioneered by Philips were pretty good, but that was yonks ago, and I think that such things now are quite expensive.

One of the nicest systems I've ever heard was a friend's Quad ESL63s electrostatics, which are quite weak on low frequencies, they drop off at about 50Hz, so he had them partnered with sub woofer. His amp was a fairly modest Sony but the sheer amount of music the ESLs produced was so impressive. Listening to recordings I knew well I could actually hear Brendel's fingers touch the keyboard, his foot on the pedal, and more annoyingly his out-of-tune humming on occasion.

I would love a pair of ESLs but I'd never get them past her indoors.

CatmanV2

One of the nicest systems I've ever heard was a friend's Quad ESL63s electrostatics, which are quite weak on low frequencies, they drop off at about 50Hz, so he had them partnered with sub woofer. His amp was a fairly modest Sony but the sheer amount of music the ESLs produced was so impressive. Listening to recordings I knew well I could actually hear Brendel's fingers touch the keyboard, his foot on the pedal, and more annoyingly his out-of-tune humming on occasion.

I would love a pair of ESLs but I'd never get them past her indoors.

Pretty sure I couldn't get them past the bank balance :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNEPLA...159600?hash=item3b05f73d30:g:dTAAAOSwRlhar6LN

C

Team GCR

One of the nicest systems I've ever heard was a friend's Quad ESL63s electrostatics, which are quite weak on low frequencies, they drop off at about 50Hz, so he had them partnered with sub woofer.

My dad had a pair of ESL63s with a pair of Entec subwoofers, the ESL63's were on spiked stands with their 'socks' removed and they did sound pretty incredible.

He changed them for some Apogee Duetta Signatures that had been rebuilt and the step up in sound was remarkable, truly amazing sounding things.

I ended up with the Duetta's but in the end couldn't accommodate them at my old house so sold them :(

zagatoes30

Always fancied a pair of Magnaplanars :) My current Vienna Acoustics are mad. There's a track on the Christina and the Queens album that makes the room shake even at very reasonable volumes. The extension is crazy. They are quite large(ish) though

C

Which begs the question which album / track do you use to test your hi-fi choices, there is normally one or two that push all your buttons

Tipmethewink

Which begs the question which album / track do you use to test your hi-fi choices, there is normally one or two that push all your buttons
I have a feeling my tastes might be somewhat different and my ears less discerning than most here but Take California by the Propellerheads is my go to test for a new amp or headphones.

zagatoes30

I have a feeling my tastes might be somewhat different and my ears less discerning than most here but Take California by the Propellerheads is my go to test for a new amp or headphones.

Similar to the Leftfield stuff I use to listen to back then

m1980k

A few good tracks on Dig Your Own Hole by The Chemical Brothers, as well as Diesel Power by the Prodigy.

My dad had a classical recording with cannon fire in it. Liked to shock people by slipping that on and cranking up the volume...

CatmanV2

Oh dear, this will be embarassing

Blue Monday '88, for the attack and rythm
Coyote from The Ragpicker's Dream. Great test track. Some really nice walking bass which starts off easy (as it's on its own) and then gets layered with more and more tracks. I like to be able to continue to pick out the bass even when everything else is going.

Then probably a couple of albums with some good recordings. So Christina and the Queens would be up there in a hurry.

C

Wack61

This icon valve amp arrived, minus the mains lead, it's a kettle lead so I dug around in the attic until I found one , plugged it in ANNNDDD nothing, dead, checked the fuse in the back, blown, replaced it with the spare and that lasted 2 seconds :(

It's not blowing the 3A fuse in the plug but it's going back which is a pity as it looks fantastic