Apple HomePod

Wack61

There was an audioengine B1 auction ending on ebay BNIB ,5 minutes to make my mind up which is probably a good thing, they seem to be around £170 , I won it for £122 so at least if I don't get on with it I may sell it on at no loss

CatmanV2

there was an audioengine b1 auction ending on ebay bnib ,5 minutes to make my mind up which is probably a good thing, they seem to be around £170 , i won it for £122 so at least if i don't get on with it i may sell it on at no loss

:)

c

zagatoes30

There was an audioengine B1 auction ending on ebay BNIB ,5 minutes to make my mind up which is probably a good thing, they seem to be around £170 , I won it for £122 so at least if I don't get on with it I may sell it on at no loss

Be interesting to see what you think

Wack61

I'll post the results up

Got another problem now ! I have a Luxman R1050 I was going to list on eBay so set it up to make sure it still worked ok, problem is I'm not sure if it sounds better than the sonab , it certainly looks better

Wack61

I know

I'm 57 , I feel like I've wasted 30 years listening to **** hifi, talk about a religious experience , I feel like dragging people in off the street, have you heard this :D

The guy said the speakers need to be a minimum of 2.5m apart , the space I have puts them 2.2m apart so I'm looking at rearranging the furniture

What have I done

zagatoes30

I know

I'm 57 , I feel like I've wasted 30 years listening to **** hifi, talk about a religious experience , I feel like dragging people in off the street, have you heard this :D

The guy said the speakers need to be a minimum of 2.5m apart , the space I have puts them 2.2m apart so I'm looking at rearranging the furniture

What have I done

Welcome to the world of the enlightened, poor and in the dog house with other family members but when you hear those little background sounds that you never knew were on your favourite tracks you know it has been worth it.

You can also invite friends around who think they know music, ask them to bring their favourite CD and then show them how it really should sound. I did this with one friend and he brought a Coldplay CD, really, he sat he listened with his mouth wide open. He now brings better music round on a regular basis to hear what it should sound like, I just have to convince him to buy his own setup and he has cleared the money but his partner won't accept the furniture moves necessary.

CatmanV2

I'd not get too obsessive about things like separation distance. See what you like the sound of.

BTW you have wasted 30 years **** hifi :lol2:

C

Wack61

I'd not get too obsessive about things like separation distance. See what you like the sound of.

BTW you have wasted 30 years **** hifi :lol2:

C

Don't rub it in , late to the party but at least I'm knocking on the door

zagatoes30

Don't rub it in , late to the party but at least I'm knocking on the door

But now you have 30 years of mistakes to make, if I change just that piece it will sound better - well it might but it will be even better if you change more pieces or not

urquattrogus

Landmark moment tonight, finally have broadband that is above 1MB thanks to resorting in desperation to an EE 4G home router.

Net result is that I can finally stream Tidal in 16bit CD or above quality. Can also stream HD 24bit and MQA files (to Meridian DSP5200SE and 218)

Roon Software is really great, and it's a revelation that I can now enjoy all those albums on tidal streamed in full quality!

Bye Bye Vinyl..... I have a Thorens deck but just don't bother with it anymore!

The Meridian active speakers have ended the box swapping for now, used to have an all Naim system...

Wack61

A few years ago I bought a TV from a guy in Birmingham ,he had speakers that were 5ft tall , I said I bet they kick out some sound , they should do for 10k

I thought he meant 10k for the hifi but no,10k for the speakers , when I got home I googled his signature which was all naim , just over £35,000 , not sure I could tell the difference between a 5k hifi and a 35k one

The guy I bought these speakers from was streaming Spotify to them through a £1000 dac and 2 leak valve amps , I'm sat hear listening to classic FM music from the movies , on Jurassic park at the moment and to my ears it sounds as good as it did on his sysytem

zagatoes30

used to have an all Naim system...

Naim sound separation is just awesome been tempted to switch for a while but always been put off as it is only 2 channel not great for home cinema but now we watch less and less films through the amps it might be time to re look at switching back to a purely Hi-Fi 2 channel system.

zagatoes30

I thought he meant 10k for the hifi but no,10k for the speakers , when I got home I googled his signature which was all naim , just over £35,000 , not sure I could tell the difference between a 5k hifi and a 35k one

Naim is expensive new but can be had for reasonable prices secondhand, it has great sound separation and really builds a sound stage in front of you

Wack61

I learned fairly quickly with photographic equipment used top of the range was the cheapest way of owning it , depreciation was virtually non existent .

CatmanV2

Naim sound separation is just awesome been tempted to switch for a while but always been put off as it is only 2 channel not great for home cinema but now we watch less and less films through the amps it might be time to re look at switching back to a purely Hi-Fi 2 channel system.

Our cinema and HiFi are in different rooms. A plan with no draw backs :)

I learned fairly quickly with photographic equipment used top of the range was the cheapest way of owning it , depreciation was virtually non existent .

So true this. Also, people (IME) *tend* to look after it

C

Team GCR

I know

What have I done

Spendor are lovely speakers had some BC3's that I then upgraded to SP1's back in the day.

As a general rule the speakers should be the same distance apart as the distance away you you sit listening to them from.

Some speakers are more position and room sensitive than others so play around and see if you really do need to re-arrange the room, you may find it isn't necessary. At the old house speakers were a little further apart then was ideal but the PMC speakers I bought still sounded magnificent. Mind you it will be interesting to see how they sound in a better situation once the new house is rewired.

The conundrum is whether to have the hifi in the snug with the television etc or in the living room on its own!